Plastidip Painted Fenders?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have painted fenders and I have some paint chips on the rear ones. I went on my very first offroad trip to Prentice Cooper and got too excited going through some gravel roads...

I'm planning on plastidipping the fenders, maybe 2-3 layers. The only reason I want to plastidip them is to add a layer of protection. Also, it gives me the ability to peel it off if I don't like it.

Do you think I should touch up the paint chips before plastidipping? Is this even a good idea?

Bare with me as this is my first jeep and the first vehicle that's just been asking me to mod it... :crazyeyes:

Last edited:

Brankz

I have painted fenders and I have some paint chips on the rear ones. I went on my very first offroad trip to Prentice Cooper and got too excited going through some gravel roads...

I'm planning on plastidipping the fenders, maybe 2-3 layers. The only reason I want to plastidip them is to add a layer of protection. Also, it gives me the ability to peel it off if I don't like it.

Do you think I should touch up the paint chips before plastidipping? Is this even a good idea?

Bare with me as this is my first jeep and the first vehicle that's just been asking me to mod it... :crazyeyes:
if their the paint ones go for it if their the plastic black ones dont do it.
use turtle plastic restore to make them mad black :)

trailless

Caught the Bug
if their the paint ones go for it if their the plastic black ones dont do it.
use turtle plastic restore to make them mad black :)

They're the body color matching painted fenders. If it were just the plastic black ones I wouldn't even worry about them.

Thanks!

Brankz

They're the body color matching painted fenders. If it were just the plastic black ones I wouldn't even worry about them.

Thanks!

Go dip them, do around 4 coats in each fender just to be safe.

If they where the plastic black one u will get worried to they get faded all the time

904Jeep

I plastidiped my fenders 4 months ago and used 4 coats. The plastidip will get stains from mud, and if you use a pressure washer to clean up your jeep the plastidip will peel away. The good is that it does peel off nicely, but if you want to touch up spots that peeled you have to peel the entire coat off otherwise the texture will be uneven.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Could always just pick up a pair of the black ones and swap them out on your jeep. Then just keep the nice painted ones in the garage. Find someone who is putting on aftermarket flats or something?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I plastidiped my fenders 4 months ago and used 4 coats. The plastidip will get stains from mud, and if you use a pressure washer to clean up your jeep the plastidip will peel away. The good is that it does peel off nicely, but if you want to touch up spots that peeled you have to peel the entire coat off otherwise the texture will be uneven.

That's making me rethink whether or not I should do this.

Could always just pick up a pair of the black ones and swap them out on your jeep. Then just keep the nice painted ones in the garage. Find someone who is putting on aftermarket flats or something?

AND, this sound like a better idea. Now to find someone willing to part with their fenders for cheap.

jeeeep

Hooked
I tried plasti-dip for similar reasons. 1st trip out after the plasti-dip I rubbed some branches and it begin to peel off.

When I washed it I pretty much took the rest of it off. good that it peels off nicely, bad that it peels off so easily lol

Mine are faded black - will try that Turtle restore...

IMO not worth the time ...like standing in a 2 hour line for a 60 second ride :doh:

13gecko

That's making me rethink whether or not I should do this.

AND, this sound like a better idea. Now to find someone willing to part with their fenders for cheap.

Not to hijack the thread but have a set of 4 fenders that I took off my rig at 300 miles. They are in good condition. Make me an offer and pay for shipping and ill send them out.

sgregg108

I'm having the same issue w/my painted fenders, debating applying some clear bra material. Made to be applied to paint and it's clear so you hardly notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have had my grill plasti-dipped for almost a year now. i did 5 coats but i also followed their video channel (dipyourcar.com) on how to do it properly so it doesnt peel. i have only had a few minor spots that has come up that touched up and it still looks awesome. also i havent had any issues with powerwashing. the key is in the preperation of the fenders to make sure you have the cleanest surface possible just like if you were powdercoating a bumper.

long story short watch the videos, prep the surface well, and take your time.

D1EHARD

I plastidipped my nephew's TJ Sahara flares. Turned out great and has held up well. Did one light coat, then 3 gradually heavier coats, spraying more each time. He had some spots where the paint was fading and chipped, and the plastidip really cleaned everything up. Look like new flares. We also did the plastic rocker portion under the doors that is only on the TJ Saharas, and it looked great, but has torn a bit in tiny spots from him scraping it while getting in and out of the jeep. Bedliner would have been a better choice there. Flares still look great though. I will take a pic next time I see him.

Devallee

If you play in the mud at all I wouldn't advise plastidip. Mud/dirt seems to easily stain it. Peeling won't be an issue if you prepare it right and take your time layering it correctly. But it's pretty difficult to keep clean (this my experience with it anyways) which keeps me from using it too often. If it bothers you enough I'd say x2 on the clear vinyl of some sorts. Or just paint them all a matching color (looks like your jeep is black so maybe gloss black or maybe flat/satin would look cool) with spray paint and touch it up every once in a while when necessary. I did this on my fenders and bumpers when they started to fade and I just throw a coat on every now and then when it chips and they stay looking like new :thumb:

Edit: I didn't mean to out down plastidip at all by the way. I just have a hard time keeping it clean. If you don't play in the mud too much it'll be perfect for your application IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom