Upgrading axles in my YJ

Finn Sizzle

I'm sure this thread will bring a wide variety of responses, and I'll listen to all, however I have been looking at the G2 full axle assemblies, the Rock Jock D60 for the rear (5.13 gears and disc brakes) and the D44 for the front. Has anyone run these axles? I'm sure it would be a bit cheaper to build up an axle, but I have never done so before and would not want to miss something or plain do it wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

David1tontj

Do you plan on keeping leaf springs? If so, it makes an axle swap super easy..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Finn Sizzle

37" tires is what I have planned.

Yes, I do plan on keeping it leaf suspension, at least for now, however I was going to do a SOA conversion. I know I would also be adding in SYE and some custom drive shafts for both front and rear.

TK5337

MC2003TJ

I had 1994YJ and put a Ford 9" rear end in it out of 67-70' mustang. Same bolt pattern and only a half inch wider. Picked it up at an antique car swap meet $275.00 drum to drum with 4:10 gears. I added a Detroit locker and added a slip yoke eliminator from Currie Ent. YJ's are easy axle swaps. Center up the axle side to side, set the pinion angle and weld the new spring perches on. Brake lines and emergency cables Hooked right up. Ran it for ten years with no problems. Ran the Rubicon with it. Dana 30 up front with a Detroit locker also. No issues!!!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had a yj with some 70s era ford 3/4 axles under it, dana 44 front, 60 rear. Set up spring over with factory rear springs all the way around. Had 36s on it. The axles were full width but the the tires didn't stick out very much and I was going to get some genright front fenders and rear corner armor with a 4 inch flare built in, I think it would've been perfect. Unfortunately I never got it running and driving and had to sell it for some money because I lost my job. So I don't have a clue as to how it was going to perform. It was a cheap build for what it was though.

You can build your 30 front and go with a built ford 8.8 in the rear and get by on 37s depending on wheeling style. I would recommend something better like 3/4 ton axles at least though. I bought the whole truck for $200 and pulled the axles out and scraped the rest. Made most of my money back. 8.8s around here are about that prices so to me it was worth it to do the 3/4 ford axles. Just wish I would've got it finished and wheeled it.

Finn Sizzle

Thanks for all the feedback, great suggestions and options to think about. Now to just settle and pull the trigger!

TK5337

stone

I'm running a D44/D60 setup out of a '78 F250 with stock springs SOA on 37s. Very easy swap to do, and I have around $1k total into the axles so it's not very expensive.

Top Bottom