2014 JK throttle failure

2trackin

Two times this weekend my throttle has failed to work properly.
First, going down the road, started to slip a little on ice, traction control kicked in. Then I lost all throttle until I came to a complete stop and took it out of gear. Put it back into gear and throttle worked again. Thus was bad as a had an xj behind me, and then a semi behind him. Was able to pull to the shoulder without incident luckily.
Then today we were out attempting to ended an orv park, but it had several feet of snow. So we more of less played around in the entrance area for a bit. I let my girl drive around (she is experienced) and she went to back out of a little snow bank and all of a sudden the Jeep went full throttle and held, I watched as she took her foot off the gas and was pushing the brake hard. she was yelling "it won't stop, it won't stop" then smash we slammed into a parked tj with very little time to take action. Driver was in it, luckily no one was hurt.
Something is seriously messed up with my jk. I have only 3500 miles on it.
Idk if something happened because it was cold. Near 0* temps and much under with wind chill. First incident was prior to any wheeling and the accident was after playing in a bit of snow. I'm fairly certain that insurance with total out the guys tj. I feel terrible and my girl is a wreck over it. Even tho she and everyone else knows it wasn't fault of her own.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
This sucks! Glad everyone is ok! This is why I never trusted 'fly by wire' throttle. I know my '12 has it and the 2011 silverado I had before my jk had it. Did the check engine light come on? Is it on now? Gotta be something wrong with the throttle pedal sensor or throttle body. I've never heard of the accelerator staying wide open. In the vehicles I've seen in our shop that had a malfunction with the throttle system, they just go into limp mode, only letting you accelerate to a low RPM. Not sure if the dealer will be able to find anything if it doesn't act up or if it didn't throw any codes. Hope they can get you taken care of!

trailless

Caught the Bug
I'm glad you both weren't hurt.

I don't have an answer but this isn't the first I'm hearing of this issue... subbed

2trackin

My traction control and stability control both turned off and wouldn't turn back on until I restarted the vehicle. No codes thrown though.
Another odd thing is that sometimes when wheeling. If I go from drive to reverse or vice versa even when in gear, sometimes it won't actually do into gear. I have to go to neutral then go back into gear, and yes this is at idle engine speed.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
My traction control and stability control both turned off and wouldn't turn back on until I restarted the vehicle. No codes thrown though.
Another odd thing is that sometimes when wheeling. If I go from drive to reverse or vice versa even when in gear, sometimes it won't actually do into gear. I have to go to neutral then go back into gear, and yes this is at idle engine speed.

Never heard of these issues. Definitely sounds electrical, which of course is one of the hardest problems to diagnose. It may be something that can be corrected by a PCM flash or the PCM may need to be replaced. I'd get it to the dealer ASAP.

2trackin

On another side note. I had not driven it is colder than say 30* until this weekend where we have had -25* windchill. Maybe the ultra cold has something to do with the throttle sticking. I mean that cold of air being sucked into the intake maybe a little moisture and frigid air.. Who knows

jeeeep

Hooked
no doesn't sound right even at that cold - in my 2010 I've traveled in cold weather like that and never had anything like the throttle sticking happen..

but, if your get too much slip and throttle is too high, the ESP/ABS can't control it and it will go into limp mode to protect the engine and or trans.

Sounds like in both situations you had too much throttle, I'd look for codes or take it to the dealer

2trackin

no doesn't sound right even at that cold - in my 2010 I've traveled in cold weather like that and never had anything like the throttle sticking happen..

but, if your get too much slip and throttle is too high, the ESP/ABS can't control it and it will go into limp mode to protect the engine and or trans.

Sounds like in both situations you had too much throttle, I'd look for codes or take it to the dealer

If you call just enough throttle to maintain 40 mph on icey roads. And then just enough to back out of a foot and a half snow bank to much throttle. Maybe 1/4 both times.

GuillaumeC91

On another side note. I had not driven it is colder than say 30* until this weekend where we have had -25* windchill. Maybe the ultra cold has something to do with the throttle sticking. I mean that cold of air being sucked into the intake maybe a little moisture and frigid air.. Who knows

Talking in Fahrenheit or Celsius? Up here we've been around -20 to -40 Celsius for quite a little while and my '13 hasn't had any issues. Definitely something more than the temperature though.

That's not good, and your insurance shouldn't have to pay for this. This is a faulty vehicle IMHO.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

jeeeep

Hooked
If you call just enough throttle to maintain 40 mph on icey roads. And then just enough to back out of a foot and a half snow bank to much throttle. Maybe 1/4 both times.

it's not the actual amount you put on it, but how the PCM/ECM reads it in comparison to how the wheels are spinning. you may barely have throttle on but if the wheels are spinning and not getting traction it's different.
Either way what you are experiencing is not correct and unfortunately caused you to have an accident.

2trackin

I agree, but definitely was very little spinning, and while we were in lot I had traction control off at the time.

First, I'm glad everyone is okay. But I'm confused by the whole thing. The traction control system is not capable of applying throttle. Everything it does to maintain traction and stability is done with the application of the brakes to specific wheels. When it doesn't know what to do, the result is limp mode. Another issue I have is that the computer is always monitoring the throttle position sensor against the mass air-flow sensor. If there was no input coming from the throttle the high volume of air should have resulted in the ignition and fuel injectors being killed. The bottom line is your scenario requires multiple systems to have failed, yet have done so in a manner that no diagnostic code was thrown. This seems rather unlikely.

Is is possible that while she (and you) thought the brake was being pressed, the gas petal was being pressed as well? I have done this when wearing large winter boots and it sounds like it was cold. :thinking: I can tell you from experience that a JK has more going power than stopping. Especially when in 4-LO.

As far as the fly-by-wire throttle, it is actually less likely to freeze than a mechanical (cable) type. I have seen and several cables get jammed and cause both no and wide open throttle, where (with exception to the Prius issue) this is the first I have heard of a WOT fly-by-wire problem. This said, no one believed the first Prius owner until more happened. I hope this is an isolated incident no matter what the cause and reiterate that I'm glad to hear all are okay.

2trackin

First, I'm glad everyone is okay. But I'm confused by the whole thing. The traction control system is not capable of applying throttle. Everything it does to maintain traction and stability is done with the application of the brakes to specific wheels. When it doesn't know what to do, the result is limp mode. Another issue I have is that the computer is always monitoring the throttle position sensor against the mass air-flow sensor. If there was no input coming from the throttle the high volume of air should have resulted in the ignition and fuel injectors being killed. The bottom line is your scenario requires multiple systems to have failed, yet have done so in a manner that no diagnostic code was thrown. This seems rather unlikely.

Is is possible that while she (and you) thought the brake was being pressed, the gas petal was being pressed as well? I have done this when wearing large winter boots and it sounds like it was cold. :thinking: I can tell you from experience that a JK has more going power than stopping. Especially when in 4-LO.

As far as the fly-by-wire throttle, it is actually less likely to freeze than a mechanical (cable) type. I have seen and several cables get jammed and cause both no and wide open throttle, where (with exception to the Prius issue) this is the first I have heard of a WOT fly-by-wire problem. This said, no one believed the first Prius owner until more happened. I hope this is an isolated incident no matter what the cause and reiterate that I'm glad to hear all are okay.

I'm positive she had her foot off the gas. I watched her lift both her feet after hitting the brakes had no effect. Throttle was 100%. This morning I even went out to double check if it was possible the floor mat had wedged on the throttle. But it clears at every possible way I set it.
On the way home today I was getting some odd throttle fluctuations while holding the accelerator steady at about 45mph. It would go up a bit and then down and kept repeating that several times.
And JKbrick this was at the Reject Run

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why are you still driving it? You throttle sticks and you hit a car yet your still driving it?

Seriously your putting everyone else's life in danger.

TheDuff

Should already be at the dealership imo. With the star scan they should be able to tell if the proper throttle signal is being sent to the ETC and replacing the ETC or ECM accordingly.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2trackin

Why are you still driving it? You throttle sticks and you hit a car yet your still driving it?

Seriously your putting everyone else's life in danger.

I had to get it home from the event we were at. And if I had any issues with it sticking open, I know I can throw it into neutral quickly, especially as I am aware there is an issue. Pretty much drove all the way with my hand on the shifter.

2trackin

Should already be at the dealership imo. With the star scan they should be able to tell if the proper throttle signal is being sent to the ETC and replacing the ETC or ECM accordingly.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This happened Saturday out in the middle of nowhere a couple hours from home. It's going to the dealer today.

metaldemon

I was out yesterday in my '12 JK and turned off the traction control completely off a couple of times in four high by holding the button in. The third time I went to do it, it wouldn't turn off. It was like the button wasn't hooked up, because it wouldn't work in two wheel drive either. I shut the Jeep off, and restarted it. Then it worked. All these electronic are so bad. They fail all the time. My computer has already been flashed three times. They won't be as good as a carburetor and standard ignition.

Top Bottom