Locker Dash Light

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

Well last weekend I went out a little and used the lockers and the 4 wheel drive. When all said and done the rear locker light was flashing when I was not in 4 wheel drive nor with me hitting the button it wont stop the light from going off. I went on my superchip to see if there was any codes and there was none. Then I removed the battery for a good 3 hours while working on the Jeep. The light is still on. You guys have any recommendations?

JK's JK

Banned
Update

I removed the wiring off the rear axle and the light went away. Then I placed it back on and the light started to flash once again.

JAGS

Hooked
Does it feel like the locker is still engaged or is it just the light?

I had an issue with my rear locker as it got "frozen" in locked position while snow wheeling last year. Had to get the locker replaced.

If its just the light, perhaps a short and something wrong with the wiring. Try unplugging and reconnecting the electrical connection at the locker/diff itself.

Other than that, maybe others more experienced with the e-locker will chime in.

- Jason

ttfhell

Sounds like it is still engaged. If you unplugged the harness at the diff the default is to disconnect. Do the rear tires chirp on asphalt on slow turns? Does it feel different? If it is still engaged you can wedge a small screwdriver in the fill hole and pry the ring to the right to disconnect it.

JK's JK

Banned
Does it feel like the locker is still engaged or is it just the light?

I had an issue with my rear locker as it got "frozen" in locked position while snow wheeling last year. Had to get the locker replaced.

If its just the light, perhaps a short and something wrong with the wiring. Try unplugging and reconnecting the electrical connection at the locker/diff itself.

Other than that, maybe others more experienced with the e-locker will chime in.

- Jason

Thank you for the information. Looks like dealership here I came with a rape packaged attached. If the locker is done then I guess ARB is in order.

I'll lift the rear end of the Jeep and see if both wheels rotate.

JK's JK

Banned
Sounds like it is still engaged. If you unplugged the harness at the diff the default is to disconnect. Do the rear tires chirp on asphalt on slow turns? Does it feel different? If it is still engaged you can wedge a small screwdriver in the fill hole and pry the ring to the right to disconnect it.

Thank you for the picture.

I just jacked it up and both tires where first spinning but I got the drivers side tire to stop spinning. Would I still need to see if that ring is still engaged?

ttfhell

Thank you for the picture.

I just jacked it up and both tires where first spinning but I got the drivers side tire to stop spinning. Would I still need to see if that ring is still engaged?

With both tires off the ground spin one by hand. If the other spins the other way it would be unlocked. If the same it's still locked.

JK's JK

Banned
With both tires off the ground spin one by hand. If the other spins the other way it would be unlocked. If the same it's still locked.

Thank you for the information. Yeah with the vehicle turned off the tires where spinning the opposite direction. With the vehicle turned on and in drive the wheels where spinning in the same direction. I got the drivers side tire to stop spinning while the passenger side tire kept spinning. Sounds like there is something wrong with the wiring.

JK's JK

Banned
Took the Jeep over to Dodge today. They narrowed it down to the relay in the differential or the relay in the dash. They waited for me to call them back for additional information about if it's been re-geared. Of course my Jeep stands out completely since all my additions.........So sounds like it wont be covered under warranty if its in the differential. The relay costs 120 which isnt bad. Has anyone changed one of those relays before?

Jerms

I had my plunger "relay" get bent while installing new gears. Not a big deal to replace after removing the carrier. This should take care of the light. The plungers job is to tell the driver by the dash light if the locker is locked or unlocked.

JK's JK

Banned
I had my plunger "relay" get bent while installing new gears. Not a big deal to replace after removing the carrier. This should take care of the light. The plungers job is to tell the driver by the dash light if the locker is locked or unlocked.

Do you have to removed the locker completely in order to replace the relay? Or can the locker stay in the axle while replacement?

Thank you for the reply.

Top Bottom