Must do upgrades for 40's ???

Fitzbsly

Getting ready to pull the trigger on new tires and really like the idea of 40's. What would be some upgrades that would be needed to run a 40" tire?? Ball joints, truss and gussets already done. Thanks in advance.

Steering upgrades, axles (at least 60s), driveshafts, lots of cutting to keep it low enough, a bunch of money, etc... I'd stick to whatever tire you have now unless you want to spend a bunch of money or break what you have

finger3

Crap, your killin me... No 60, yet...

I'm running 40s with rubi d44s tubed and gusseted. I'm pretty easy on my jeep creeping it slow on the trail and lockers off unless I really need them. This last weekend out at the boulders on an obstacle that requires being locked and spinning the tires a bit left a bentrear axle shaft. They ddon't make d44s like they used to so I have chromolly shafts on order and am still watching for a good deal on some newer 3/4- 1 ton axles. Good luck if you go this way and take it easy until you get built up:thumb:

suicideking

Crap, your killin me... No 60, yet...

No 60's = No 40's :D

Unless you're willing to drop the $14K or so for two PR 60's, you should not go past 37's. I'd say definitely need new brakes. Will also want PSC steering and probably hydro assist, gears. Basically anything that is connected to the wheels or parts that hold wheels, turn wheels, stop wheels...

You'll also need somewhere to put a spare. Most carriers only support up to a 37. I've seen many with 40's mount something in the rear storage to hold the spare. So be prepared to lose most of your storage space too.

Short answer: Replace everything below the frame + some other stuff. :thumb:

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No 60's = No 40's :D

Unless you're willing to drop the $14K or so for two PR 60's, you should not go past 37's. I'd say definitely need new brakes. Will also want PSC steering and probably hydro assist, gears. Basically anything that is connected to the wheels or parts that hold wheels, turn wheels, stop wheels...

You'll also need somewhere to put a spare. Most carriers only support up to a 37. I've seen many with 40's mount something in the rear storage to hold the spare. So be prepared to lose most of your storage space too.

Short answer: Replace everything below the frame + some other stuff. :thumb:

Damn $14k is cheap. But he'll need a rear too. Add about 5-6k more.

1BAMFR

You don't need 40's in my opinion.

A nicely built JK with 35-37" tires, lockers, and armor will get you through alot!

The driver behind the wheel makes a big difference too. I witnessed 2 different JK (non-rubicon) 2dr.'s on 35's with no lockers scale a very steep and treacherous hill climb with 3" of snow covering it.

Does everybody want D60s and 40s? Yes, do you "need" them? Not necessarily. ...

Army_Vet

Banned

A nicely built JK with 35-37" tires, lockers, and armor will get you through alot!

The driver behind the wheel makes a big difference too. I witnessed 2 different JK (non-rubicon) 2dr.'s on 35's with no lockers scale a very steep and treacherous hill climb with 3" of snow covering it.

Thanks for the compliment, Just to clarify im on 33's:blush:

David1tontj

X2

Most guys don't realize it, but 37s on dana 44s are actually pretty close to 40s on 60s ground clearance wise... I run 40s on one tons and ended up with about the same axle clearance as my friends on 37s with d44s. Not really worth the gain if you're on the fence about it..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

kimer82

So just to let you know,
I bought 37"s to start and upgraded it to 40" mud grapplers in one month just because i do wheel it harder then some people here and there. ( maybe not :p )
D44's could handle 37" tires if you are not doing something crazy but with 40" tires... you are in whole different level.

I took in 40" tires with D60 FF front and stock rear 44 with buffs + 35 spline shafty. + long arm conversion, and so on.

with one few hour run, My rear D44 diff was leaking oil.. thought it was something splashed to the diff but when i got home..
whole left tube Twisted 1/2" out of the casing. had to weld it shut to prevent leaking and now ordering D60 rear..

Also the Front trackbar, tirod, draglink had been upgraded with Synergy stuff with Reid Nuckle. You will also NEED Hydro Assist since the stock powersteering will Fry right out and when lockers are enguaged... it will not turn at all with stock steering.

So if you don't have upgraded parts that can handle 40's.. the things add up and 30g in parts are normal with many fellow members running big tires. + tires are freakin expensive....

Top Bottom