As promised, Magnusson Supercharger 3.6L Dyno and thoughts...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok guys, here is the dyno for a 3.6L magnusson roots style supercharger (as opposed to the RIPP centrifugal.)

attachment.php

(Courtesy of Pieface on WF).

Some details...

Stock JKUR (stock wheels)
Dyno day of the supercharged setup the fan was broken, so this is a dyno without the wind fan)...would probably get a few more ponies with the fan going.

Gained 85 WHEEL hp and 57 wheel ft/lbs

You get some nice gains down low with a relatively flat torque curve. Not quite as good as a turbo setup, but still fairly nice.

I'll post more details for those interested.

T&ERun

LOSER
I love the look of that lower end torque curve. That's where a JK needs the power for offroad. I would love to see a centrifugal graph shown also (with the same boost of coarse). As you mentioned though, it's going to be tough to beat a turbo. Would love to see a turbo graph posted too. Thanks for the info and the graph.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Cool, what's it do when the internals of the stock motor can't handle it?

There have been reports from Chrysler engineers that claimed the pentastar was designed with twin turbo systems in mind (for later vehicles.) IT will easily handle the power, especially the 6 pounds of boost this kit runs. The pentastar should be plenty good for 500/500 without any issues to the internals.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
There have been reports from Chrysler engineers that claimed the pentastar was designed with twin turbo systems in mind (for later vehicles.) IT will easily handle the power, especially the 6 pounds of boost this kit runs. The pentastar should be plenty good for 500/500 without any issues to the internals.

Well I can tell you my stock 3.6 blew the main bearings out, bad enough they were oblong allowing the cam to move.

Time will tell I suppose...

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Well I can tell you my stock 3.6 blew the main bearings out, bad enough they were oblong allowing the cam to move.

Time will tell I suppose...

What was the diagnosis? If this happened on a stock motor, it sounds like a specific problem with your motor. But I can appreciate why you'd be cautious with adding boost.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
What was the diagnosis? If this happened on a stock motor, it sounds like a specific problem with your motor. But I can appreciate why you'd be cautious with adding boost.

Head issue (replaced bad head).
Within a week the timing gears were replaced. It then started burning oil, 4 qts in 400 miles.

The oil had a ton of metal in it, which in turn started blocking the oil pump. They were not sure what caused it or went first. They claimed lack of oil changes until the service records were pulled. Then it was to much dirt in the air box (factory).
So who knows..

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Within a week the timing gears were replaced. It then started burning oil, 4 qts in 400 miles.

The oil had a ton of metal in it, which in turn started blocking the oil pump. They were not sure what caused it or went first. They claimed lack of oil changes until the service records were pulled. Then it was to much dirt in the air box (factory).
So who knows..

Wouldn't be surprised if because of your 1 problem, the dealer added 3 more for ya.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

So who knows..

How many miles did you have when the head went?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Majik

That sucks about your motor issues :(

Overall, my opinion is that these newer motors are at least fairly well thought out. For an interesting comparison: I like to compare to the venerable old Chevy small blocks. I've built plenty myself. The 'low end' blocks had two-bolt main bearing caps and the 'heavy duty' had four bolt mains. The two bolts were pretty safe up to about 450hp without major issues. The four bolts, about 550 and often much higher. That was also on stock cast connecting rods, too!

These 3.6L engines are SIX bolt mains (the middle caps have additional cross-bolted caps) with four bolt caps on the end of the crank. The connecting rods are FORGED which would have been considered a huge upgrade on those old Chevy blocks I was using for comparison. Also, the crank itself has a lot of technology built into the fillets which greatly reduce stress risers. The pistons have oil squirters directly cooling the pistons. This all amounts to tech that 15 years ago was only done on high perf motors that would readily see 550+ HP on modified engines. And now its all in our motors from the factory!

Jeep and Chrysler don't want to have to do warranty repairs. The automakers, IMO, have learned that warranty service is really expensive and have finally started realizing that strong, intelligently designed blocks save them money in the long run. And they have started integrating into their stock designs techniques that the aftermarket historically developed to fix OEM problems. Examples? My wife's Toyota Sequoia has an all stainless exhaust including tubular shorty headers! From the factory! 10 years ago this would have been unheard of. So they never have to deal with cracked iron manifolds or rotted exhausts. We have oil coolers and transmission coolers as standard equipment on our vehicles. We have coolant formulated to go 150k with no signif corrosive effects. We have more efficient aluminum radiators that we always dreamed of installing on our old muscle cars and old off road rigs. I feel that finally, the automakers have realized that quality initially in engine design saves them hugely in the long run.

So...I have a feeling that our six-bolt main, forged connecting rodded, high tech cranked, piston-squirter cooled 3.6L probably is a lot more stout than we think. These features would have been on a nice upgrade list for a race motor small block V8 not too long ago. Just my thoughts... I guess time will tell for these motors in the long run but this supercharger is on my list in the very near future with no hesitation. Just do your research well and be confident in your own conclusions! :thumb:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
This is an interesting article regarding the history and rumored future of the Pentastar engine - Rumors and future Pentastar engines. I personally would love to see the 3.2L supercharged engine with 310-340 hp show up in the future Wrangler. That alone should be a good basis for the compatibility of the existing motors with an aftermarket supercharger. 350+ should be easily achieveable with an additional .4L of displacement.

And to piginajeep, one point made on this site might be of interest to you - "The engines do not seem to have exhaust manifolds, but rather the head is cast with an exhaust flange to one side. (This turned out to be right.)" This could possibly contribute to your head issues and would definitely make cooling a top priority if I were considering forced induction of any kind. I tried to find a picture of this, but couldn't locate one.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I read an article somewhere saying that the cylinder head design, and it's lack of an exhaust manifold, was for the ability to have a compact twin turbo setup, without the need fur extensive tubing, by bolting the turbos directly tongue cylinder head. That would surely make quite a bit of heat in the head.

Majik

Hmm... Interesting. I had heard that it was to smooth exhaust flow and eliminate leaky exhaust manifold gaskets and cracked cast iron manifolds. Maybe a little of both are true...?

d90king

I will probably end up installing ths kit

http://www.coloradospeed.com/magnus...ck-20122014-jeep-wrangler-jk-36l-p-31160.html

We lose about 60 HP in naturally aspirated engines here in Colorado. Boost not only helps but also in some cases improve MPG. Thanks to the OP for the dynograph.

You might want to call Magnuson and see where they are with the software and tranny issues... I think they have iced this kit until they work through the software issues.

You might want to call Magnuson and see where they are with the software and tranny issues... I think they have iced this kit until they work through the software issues.

These kits are good to go. Any transmission tuning issues were resolved as of August for the 12-14s.

FYI the Superchips handheld tuners you want to avoid. They are having some issues with some JKs depending on build date.

Top Bottom