430N replacing a 130N?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone know what needs to be done to replace my 130N radio with a 430N? I have a Sport S and wanted to upgrade to the SAT/ NAV, but I don't know if it's a plug and play or if something needs to be programmed by the dealer. Aftermarket head units are out of the question, if the 430N won't work in my Sport S, I'm just gonna keep the 130N.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Theres a different harness for it thats plug and play as well as the different modules for the gps and hands free along with needing the mic...if you didn't have those already. Once you get everything installed you need to have a dealership flash the computer to enable the functions. I haven't done it I just researched it a lot as it is on my list as well as the Kicker upgrade at the same time (amp, speakers, sub).

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Theres a different harness for it thats plug and play as well as the different modules for the gps and hands free along with needing the mic...if you didn't have those already. Once you get everything installed you need to have a dealership flash the computer to enable the functions. I haven't done it I just researched it a lot as it is on my list as well as the Kicker upgrade at the same time (amp, speakers, sub).

So even if I already have Uconnect, I still have to get the different module for the handsfree? I understand getting a module for the GPS, but I figured that was internal in the head unit.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So even if I already have Uconnect, I still have to get the different module for the handsfree? I understand getting a module for the GPS, but I figured that was internal in the head unit.

I am unsure whether or not the modules we have for the handsfree is the same, I am assuming it is and was going to try the module I have. All the documentation I read on the installation, the gps module is separate. It has been a couple months since I was doing all the research, I can't remember what the harness looked like or how the modules tied in. My apologies.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

jjbroze

If you have Uconnect and Sirius Sat radio with your 130, going to the 430N is a true plug n play. You have all the need pieces in place. The Sirius antenna will also work for the nav and the uconnect that is installed in your Jeep will function as before. If you also have the EVIC, that will function as before. Just make sure the 430N has side mounting screws and is High Speed.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It's pretty much already been mentioned but I did this very swap in my first '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee that had a sirrius 130 unit with uconnect hands free. Though I did it on a WK2 Grand Cherokee, the parts are the same in the JK. The uconnect module is a separate module from the stereo head unit. The 430N uses this remote uconnect module. The 730N is the ONLY current production head unit from Chrysler that has the uconnect features built in and does NOT use a remote module for uconnect. The GPS features are built into the 430N. If you already have sirrius sat radio, you already have the GPS antenna, as it is a 2 in 1 sat radio/gps antenna. Literally all you need to do is remove the 130, and swap in the 430N. If it is a 2012 or newer head unit with the built in anti-theft feature, make sure you have the code. No dealer flash is necessary. One thing to look out for is the location of the mounts on the 430N you are looking at. The JK has the mounts on the side of the unit. Some 430N units have the mounts on the top and bottom, and are used in the Grand Cherokee and Durango.

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's pretty much already been mentioned but I did this very swap in my first '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee that had a sirrius 130 unit with uconnect hands free. Though I did it on a WK2 Grand Cherokee, the parts are the same in the JK. The uconnect module is a separate module from the stereo head unit. The 430N uses this remote uconnect module. The 730N is the ONLY current production head unit from Chrysler that has the uconnect features built in and does NOT use a remote module for uconnect. The GPS features are built into the 430N. If you already have sirrius sat radio, you already have the GPS antenna, as it is a 2 in 1 sat radio/gps antenna. Literally all you need to do is remove the 130, and swap in the 430N. If it is a 2012 or newer head unit with the built in anti-theft feature, make sure you have the code. No dealer flash is necessary. One thing to look out for is the location of the mounts on the 430N you are looking at. The JK has the mounts on the side of the unit. Some 430N units have the mounts on the top and bottom, and are used in the Grand Cherokee and Durango.

What unit should I be looking for? RBZ, RHB? What are the differences?

pastorwug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNqzRyAjHE&feature=player_embedded#at=497

Just came across this and they make it look a lot easier then I was reading before. They can also program the radios to allow them to play a movie while driving!

I checked them out and their units are pretty expensive. I hope to find a cheaper one elsewhere, but where?
Ebay units for the 730N are about the same as the dealer above.
I'll just wait for the right deal to come along.

I sure liked the video and how easy it is to swap them out.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I checked them out and their units are pretty expensive. I hope to find a cheaper one elsewhere, but where?
Ebay units for the 730N are about the same as the dealer above.
I'll just wait for the right deal to come along.

I sure liked the video and how easy it is to swap them out.

Very expensive, but cheaper than a new unit through MOPAR. Plus I like the idea of putting on a movie while driving. For passengers obviously. Don't you have one you are selling??

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Thanks for all the great info and cleared away some of my fears I generated during my research on other forums and skimming through installation.pdf's. :beer:

Top Bottom