Jeep Commander Lift

jkjurny

Anyone have any recommendations? My brother wants to mount my stock Rubicon tires. Looks like he needs a 2" lift minimum. Thinking of telling him to do a BB with longer Rancho 5000s. Should cost less than $400 for that.

Anon155

Anyone have any recommendations? My brother wants to mount my stock Rubicon tires. Looks like he needs a 2" lift minimum. Thinking of telling him to do a BB with longer Rancho 5000s. Should cost less than $400 for that.

I'd def look into the Old Man Emu 3" HD lift. It is one of the best lift's for the XK/WK for the money! It will give you a LOT better ride over a BB/spacer lift, and will easily clear 32-33" tires. It comes with all new HD springs, and new struts/shocks. If you want a bit more adjustability, you could go with just the HD OME coils and Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts and shocks. Just make sure you don't go over 23" hub to fender measurements up front, that's when you could have some front end problems. You can find the lift for around 700-750 from online vendors. Contact Kolak (kolak@aol.com). I have the lift, and it has been great on and offroad for the past 2 years! :thumb:

Last edited:

jkjurny

I'd def look into the Old Man Emu 3" HD lift. It is one of the best lift's for the XK/WK for the money! It will give you a LOT better ride over a BB/spacer lift, and will easily clear 32-33" tires. It comes with all new HD springs, and new struts/shocks. If you want a bit more adjustability, you could go with just the HD OME coils and Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts and shocks. Just make sure you don't go over 23" hub to fender measurements up front, that's when you could have some front end problems. You can find the lift for around 700-750 from online vendors. Contact Kolak (kolak@aol.com). I have the lift, and it has been great on and offroad for the past 2 years! :thumb:

Thanks! Any pictures?

Anon155

Thanks! Any pictures?

I personally drive a WK. So my pics would do your friend no good.....I did borrow a few pics from a fellow member off another forum for ya. Hopefully he won't mind me showing off his ride lol. He runs the OME HD on his XK with 265/70 tires. You will need at least a 1/4" spacer up front to clear the front brake calipers for your JK Moabs. The reason for this is because the WK/XK uses a larger caliper than you JK guys. Most guys with a WK/XK run a 1-1.5". I personally use spidertraxx 1.5" spacers on my own jeep and have had zero issues with them. They are very popular brand on my side of the fence, and have an awesome reputation and good customer support. Just make sure the spacer you buy is wheel/hub centric and your friend should have no issues. Also, due to the spacers you may need to do some trimming on the front pinch weld. It's a simple enough mod by cutting some slits into it with a cut off wheel and hammering it down as flat as possible. Then paint over the seam with some undercoating/bed liner to prevent rust. For the wheel well liners, cut a slit vertically up along the pinch weld seam. After that, heat the liner up with a heat gun and press one side over the other to have it overlap the seam. If you take your time, the liner should look almost factory when done. This will give you about an inch or more extra clearance inside the wheel wells. There are also some really good right ups if you google search "XK pinch weld mod". I had to do this all on my WK so I am speaking from experience lol :D

Now, onto the pics I promised!

100_0174_zpsf788ab33.jpg

100_0176_zpsdc323a01.jpg

WP_000631_zpsade35f84.jpg

P.S. If you're friend is looking for some armor as well, tell him to look at Steel Armadillo or 4xguard. They make some awesome stuff for our platforms!

Last edited:

jkjurny

I personally drive a WK. So my pics would do your friend no good.....I did borrow a few pics from a fellow member off another forum for ya. Hopefully he won't mind me showing off his ride lol. He runs the OME HD on his XK with 265/70 tires. You will need at least a 1/4" spacer up front to clear the front brake calipers for your JK Moabs. The reason for this is because the WK/XK uses a larger caliper than you JK guys. Most guys with a WK/XK run a 1-1.5". I personally use spidertraxx 1.5" spacers on my own jeep and have had zero issues with them. They are very popular brand on my side of the fence, and have an awesome reputation and good customer support. Just make sure the spacer you buy is wheel/hub centric and your friend should have no issues. Also, due to the spacers you may need to do some trimming on the front pinch weld. It's a simple enough mod by cutting some slits into it with a cut off wheel and hammering it down as flat as possible. Then paint over the seam with some undercoating/bed liner to prevent rust. For the wheel well liners, cut a slit vertically up along the pinch weld seam. After that, heat the liner up with a heat gun and press one side over the other to have it overlap the seam. If you take your time, the liner should look almost factory when done. This will give you about an inch or more extra clearance inside the wheel wells. There are also some really good right ups if you google search "XK pinch weld mod". I had to do this all on my WK so I am speaking from experience lol :D

Now, onto the pics I promised!

View attachment 67064

View attachment 67065

View attachment 67066

P.S. If you're friend is looking for some armor as well, tell him to look at Steel Armadillo or 4xguard. They make some awesome stuff for our platforms!

Thanks a lot for the info!

munstie

Anyone know who makes this bumper for the commanders??

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Attachments

• 1391293774709.jpg
    1391293774709.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 174

Anon155

Anyone know who makes this bumper for the commanders??

That was the old GetLost4x4 bumper! They had a limited run for that bumper back in 2009. There have been a few come up for sale every now and again. Only company I know making bumpers front and rear for the Commander is Steel Armadillo. You could try contacting Stone Soup as well, they were making copies of that bumper a few years back. Having a shop custom fab one up is always an option as well!

Last edited:

Anon155

Sorry, can't help. I thought this bumper is pretty cool. Don't know who makes it either. View attachment 67152

Thats the jeep AEV custom fab for a hidden winch mount. The winch was flipped upside down, kind of a pain to operate.....Steel Armadillo is making a more updated design. It's a great alternative using the stock bumper! Only takes a bit of cutting and drilling to install. They're having a sale price of $400 right now for their first production run. There are a few guys who have also custom fab their own out of 1/4" steel plate. Google "Omelet's hidden winch build". He had an awesome write up with pics and dimensions for each piece. Awesome build to read through as well!

Last edited:

munstie

That was the old GetLost4x4 bumper! They had a limited run for that bumper back in 2009. There have been a few come up for sale every now and again. Only company I know making bumpers front and rear for the Commander is Steel Armadillo. You could try contacting Stone Soup as well, they were making copies of that bumper a few years back. Having a shop custom fab one up is always an option as well!

Thank you for the info, my wife really likes that bumper for her commander picture helped with the bumper being color matched and the same color as ours.

sean112280

x2 on The Steel Armadillo! Jon is a great guy. I was on my way from MD to WA and stopped in AZ and he came out and met up with me just to put a face to the name. I also have a 2007 XK and am on his forum as well.

Top Bottom