3.21s with 35's

Sugarbear

I got a 2014 sport 2 door with a D44 rear and D30 front and according to the window sticker I have 3.21 gears would it be a bad idea to run 35's or will I be alright ??

1BAMFR

You can run 3.21 gears with 35s but your Jeep is going to feel like your towing a yacht behind it!

4.88s is what you need.

Sugarbear

You can run 3.21 gears with 35s but your Jeep is going to feel like your towing a yacht behind it!

4.88s is what you need.

Lol I'll tow the yacht for a little till I can afford the 4.88 I see your from PA where about are ya ??

noroad

3.21s on 37s here, suckkkksss. thank god its a stick, with 35s it will work but if your like me and just waiting on money to get new gears its do able.

JKWrang

I got a 2014 sport 2 door with a D44 rear and D30 front and according to the window sticker I have 3.21 gears would it be a bad idea to run 35's or will I be alright ??

This is what I plan on doing too until I can afford to upgrade. It shouldn't be too bad, but it's not going to be the same that's for sure. For what it's worth, my Jeep was in a near head on collision and my wife's foot got caught, keeping the pedal down.

In 3.21's the Jeep pushed the Ford Escape a good 500 feet. So while that's not a yacht... :rock:

In5ane1

Good question..im in same boat! Its either $1500 now for gears...or for tires. However, im currently running 33's and wouldnt mind a lil more power...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
in my 2011 i had 3.73 and 35's for a long time (its equivilent to what you have with the 3.21's) and by long time it was 3 months. that was the longest 3 months i have ever driven in my jeep. it was soooo slow it was crazy. that being said if i had to suffer like that again in the future i would because at the end of the day i got my gears upgraded and it is now amazing!

I have 3.21 gears in my 2012 jku with 35" toyos. Although it is a bit sluggish at times, you should have no problem doing this and should be fine. I will definitely be regearing when I lose the d30 up front though

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I have 3.21 gears in my 2012 jku with 35" toyos. Although it is a bit sluggish at times, you should have no problem doing this and should be fine. I will definitely be regearing when I lose the d30 up front though

How is highway cruising? I had 37's for a week and had to manually leave it in 3rd haha...was terrible and had to sell them. Got my eyes on 35's in the near future though. I noticed gear cycling just going from my mall crawler tires to the rubi tires...I guess I need a tuner to calibrate everything.

It's not bad, It tends to shift into a gear and makes you go faster than you want to but the shifting mode with the automatic fixes that nicely. I usually cruise around 75-80 and don't have issues doing that. RPM's are around 2700 at 80

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

It's not bad, It tends to shift into a gear and makes you go faster than you want to but the shifting mode with the automatic fixes that nicely. I usually cruise around 75-80 and don't have issues doing that. RPM's are around 2700 at 80

Thanks for the reply. Seems like gear change won't have to be immediate...

NY1982JK

I have a '13 JKU S Auto with 3.21's and just went with 35" Trail Grapplers. It's Definitely usable, though as previously mentioned after a little while you are gonna want to regear.

I did take a HUGE hit in MPG, but honestly it was worth it. Went from 20-21 Highway to 15.5 maaayyybe 16 if I Granny it. With the Auto, 5th gear doesn't exist anymore. You will notice a lot more gear searching than you've had before.

I would personally say do it, then make gears your next priority.

In5ane1

On the recalibration...I got it that the ProCal doesn't tune, but seems like if you recalibrate and your spedometer is back on, then the jeep would drive better due to adjusted shift points. I also realize this won't turn a 3.21 geared JKU into a 4.88....but does a recalibration help to some extent? I went from the baby wheels (maybe the 225's) to 33" MT's. My shifting does seem a bit off.

Just figured I'd ask...

Top Bottom