McGard lugnuts?

wwood

Recently got ATX Slabs. I mounted my still new Toyo 35s on the Slabs but Discount Tire balanced and installed them on the Jeep using the still new Gorilla lug nuts (1/2x20) that were already on the Jeep. I had them snug the lug nuts by hand and then torque them to 90 ft/lbs (I specified 90 which is a little low since DT likes to really tighten lugs usually to 110). I upped the torque to 95 ft/lbs when I got home and all 20 lugs moved a little.

Just removed the Slabs a few days ago to work on installing EVO Plush Ride springs and my control arm length. Noticed that the Gorilla lug nuts were pretty badly galled where the tapered cone tips contact the matching 60 degree tapered seats on the wheels. Not good since these lugs were only on/off twice and they were definitely never over torqued. My conclusion is that the Gorilla lugs are not that great.

So I ordered 20 McGard Spline Drive lug nuts which just arrived. They look very good. The lugs are 2 piece and the 60 deg tapered cone tips rotate independently of the main body of the lug so that the tip does not move after it contacts the cone shaped seat in the wheel, meaning there will be no galling of the lugs or the wheel seats. The McGard lugs are expensive, about $80 from Summit Racing including the install tool:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcg-65340/overview/

Here are some pics of the Gorilla lugs. I put one of the new McGards in the row of Gorillas for comparison.
DSC09784.jpg
DSC09785.jpg
McGard package and install tool:
DSC09786.jpg

Curious of anybody uses these 2 piece McGards and how they hold up.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Recently got ATX Slabs. I mounted my still new Toyo 35s on the Slabs but Discount Tire balanced and installed them on the Jeep using the still new Gorilla lug nuts (1/2x20) that were already on the Jeep. I had them snug the lug nuts by hand and then torque them to 90 ft/lbs (I specified 90 which is a little low since DT likes to really tighten lugs usually to 110). I upped the torque to 95 ft/lbs when I got home and all 20 lugs moved a little.

Just removed the Slabs a few days ago to work on installing EVO Plush Ride springs and my control arm length. Noticed that the Gorilla lug nuts were pretty badly galled where the tapered cone tips contact the matching 60 degree tapered seats on the wheels. Not good since these lugs were only on/off twice and they were definitely never over torqued. My conclusion is that the Gorilla lugs are not that great.

So I ordered 20 McGard Spline Drive lug nuts which just arrived. They look very good. The lugs are 2 piece and the 60 deg tapered cone tips rotate independently of the main body of the lug so that the tip does not move after it contacts the cone shaped seat in the wheel, meaning there will be no galling of the lugs or the wheel seats. The McGard lugs are expensive, about $80 from Summit Racing including the install tool:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcg-65340/overview/

Here are some pics of the Gorilla lugs. I put one of the new McGards in the row of Gorillas for comparison.
View attachment 66825
View attachment 66824
McGard package and install tool:
View attachment 66823

Curious of anybody uses these 2 piece McGards and how they hold up.

The tool will break over time, leaving you stranded

wwood

Just so you know, these are not wheel locks, they are just lug nuts. Wheel locks are too much of a pain to me and I think the keys are too likely to get lost or messed up.

Hope the McGard install tool does not break. Don't see why it would, looks ok. The Gorilla lug nuts use an identical install tool and my friend at Discount Tire uses them all the time with no problems. I needed these thin "tuner" style lug nuts because I cannot fit a 19mm socket over the standard shape factory lug nuts in the Slabs or the Rugged Ridge wheels I had before due to the small lug nut recesses in the wheels.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just so you know, these are not wheel locks, they are just lug nuts. Wheel locks are too much of a pain to me and I think the keys are too likely to get lost or messed up.

Hope the McGard install tool does not break. Don't see why it would, looks ok. The Gorilla lug nuts use an identical install tool and my friend at Discount Tire uses them all the time with no problems. I needed these thin "tuner" style lug nuts because I cannot fit a 19mm socket over the standard shape factory lug nuts in the Slabs or the Rugged Ridge wheels I had before due to the small lug nut recesses in the wheels.

As long as you don't use an impact on the tool it will probably hold up. Always hand tighten and torque with a torque wrench. Which you probably have been doing according to the OP. Just my experience with working in a tire shop, I'm not fond of the 'tuner' style nuts that require a special tool to install/remove them. I'm running the stock lugs and use a Snap On thin wall socket. The thin wall socket has an OD no larger than the bulge of the OE lug nut

wwood

As long as you don't use an impact on the tool it will probably hold up. Always hand tighten and torque with a torque wrench. Which you probably have been doing according to the OP. Just my experience with working in a tire shop, I'm not fond of the 'tuner' style nuts that require a special tool to install/remove them. I'm running the stock lugs and use a Snap On thin wall socket. The thin wall socket has an OD no larger than the bulge of the OE lug nut

Sh*t! Did not know there were thin wall sockets that would let me use the factory lug nuts. Is that a SnapOn exclusive? Pretty hard to get SnapOn stuff unless you work in the right place. Fortunately I am retired! :)
Anyway what do you think about a 2 piece lug nut where the cone shaped tip does not turn as the lug is torqued? I agree, impact not a good idea on the install tool.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't put Mcgard anything on my ride if they were free, let alone paying for them. Either gorilla, or don't bother.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Sh*t! Did not know there were thin wall sockets that would let me use the factory lug nuts. Is that a SnapOn exclusive? Pretty hard to get SnapOn stuff unless you work in the right place. Fortunately I am retired! :)
Anyway what do you think about a 2 piece lug nut where the cone shaped tip does not turn as the lug is torqued? I agree, impact not a good idea on the install tool.

The sockets we get are either from Snap On or a tire supply dealer we get shop materials from (valve stems, weights, etc.) check the net, I'm sure you can find one. The ones we have are called flip sockets, they have 21MM on one side and 19MM on the other. NAPA lists them also. Verify your stock lugs will fit in the holes, not sure on the slabs, I run the Fuel Offroad Trophy and my factory lugs fit fine

JayKay

Caught the Bug
This. They only person Mcguard locks prevent from removing the wheels is the owner.

I think wheel locks are stupid anyway. If they're willing to take the time to steal your wheels and tires, they might as well steal the whole rig

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think wheel locks are stupid anyway. If they're willing to take the time to steal your wheels and tires, they might as well steal the whole rig

Depends where you live. Wheels are still big BIG business, especially special editions (SRT, AMG, M, etc.) Its also a problem on vehicles with similar bolt patterns that fit a lot of other vehicles.

11688502-large.jpg

Depending on the vehicle, the wheels/tires are big money, so it is still a serious threat. Heaunits and such on the other hand are a thing of the past.

If you get the gorilla system (5 locks per wheel and 3 on the spare) your wheels are going nowhere. No-one is going to spend the time removing 23 locks.

wwood

The sockets we get are either from Snap On or a tire supply dealer we get shop materials from (valve stems, weights, etc.) check the net, I'm sure you can find one. The ones we have are called flip sockets, they have 21MM on one side and 19MM on the other. NAPA lists them also. Verify your stock lugs will fit in the holes, not sure on the slabs, I run the Fuel Offroad Trophy and my factory lugs fit fine

Thanks, I will check that out. I like the factory lug nuts, no sign of galling on them. The factory lugs fit in the Slabs but my standard 19mm socket is too tight and would scratch up the inside of the holes.
Looks like I should send the McGards back for a refund. Sh*t again. :)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Depends where you live. Wheels are still big BIG business, especially special editions (SRT, AMG, M, etc.) Its also a problem on vehicles with similar bolt patterns that fit a lot of other vehicles.

View attachment 66850

Depending on the vehicle, the wheels/tires are big money, so it is still a serious threat. Heaunits and such on the other hand are a thing of the past.

If you get the gorilla system (5 locks per wheel and 3 on the spare) your wheels are going nowhere. No-one is going to spend the time removing 23 locks.

Well maybe I'll get an insurance appraisal on mine for the value of a set of slabs. Then hopefully they'll get stolen and I'll get an upgrade out of the deal;)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
And I guess me growing up and residing in the sticks of the Midwest, wheel theft isn't a problem. I've seen it around here as inside jobs that people use as insurance fraud. Did have tailgates stolen off all of the GM trucks at the local dealer a few years ago .

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well maybe I'll get an insurance appraisal on mine for the value of a set of slabs. Then hopefully they'll get stolen and I'll get an upgrade out of the deal;)

I have all my mods insured except wheels. The amount Geico charges for wheels doen't make it worth it. (almost $20 a wheel per month.)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have all my mods insured except wheels. The amount Geico charges for wheels doen't make it worth it. (almost $20 a wheel per month.)

I haven't insured any of my mods. My RC lift I could care less about. I guess my wheels and tires are the only thing I'd be concerned about, but I don't think I need to really worry about them. I'd trade my jeep any day for a new STOCK Rubicon. I'm happy with what I have, but I might have a little bit of buyers remorse.

wwood

To update my original post:

I did install the new McGard 2 piece spline drive lugnuts (these are not anti-theft wheel locks, just lugnuts). The idea of a 2 piece lug nut is that the 60 deg tapered cone tip rotates independently of the main body of the lug so that the tip does not move and slide/scrape across the matching cone shaped seat in the wheel after it contacts the seat in the wheel, meaning that there should be no galling of the lugs or the wheel seats.

The McGard lugs went on my ATX Slabs fine using the McGard install tool, torqued them to 95ft/lb. Drove the Jeep about 50 miles then pulled one of the lugs off to inspect it. Unfortunately, the 2 pieces of the lug were seized together as one. I could see metal shavings in the area where the top piece is supposed to rotate against the tapered seat. I did not see any galling on the seat or on the wheels but the whole idea of a 2 piece lug was history. I then pulled off all the McGard lugs, 7 of the 20 were fully seized and about 5 more were partly seized, the rest still rotated ok.

Returned the McGards for a refund and bought a thin walled 19mm socket as suggested by JeepKeeper. Reinstalled the factory lugs in the Slabs and all is well. I like the idea of a 2 piece lug nut so I will keep looking.

pastorwug

View attachment 66825

I would be glad to purchase your Gorilla nuts from you - let me know what you would like for them and I'll Paypal you right away.
Hope you still have them!

paul

wwood

I would be glad to purchase your Gorilla nuts from you - let me know what you would like for them and I'll Paypal you right away.
Hope you still have them!

paul

Sorry sold them with my original wheels. But the galling on the Gorilla lugs was bad after only being removed twice. The galling was actually worse than my pics show. I think the Gorilla lugs are poor quality, definitely no where near as good as the factory lugs which have been installed and removed at least 5-6 times and show no galling.

Top Bottom