Let me beat the dead gear horse...

cctroupe

Hey guys, I'm currently running a '12 JKU, 5 Spd Auto, 3.21 on 37" tires. I know, I know. It came like this from the dealer.

Anyways, I'm trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88 for my gears. I've looked at the charts and 4.56 is in the green for "Good Daily Driver, Moderate Wheeling" while the 4.88 and 5.13 both fall under "fair daily driver, hard wheeling".

HOWEVER, I keep hearing people say to go 4.88. Take into account my rig is probably 80% DD, 20% wheeling, and that's being generous on the wheeling end.

Can anyone running 4.56 on 37's give me some info/review on them compared to a 4.88?

(Also, I am going to be adjusting with a procal when I regear)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
5.13's are what you want for 37's.

And 20% wheeling is 3,000 miles a year if you go off the average mileage from KBB and whatnot. That's a lot of off-road miles.

BBG

Hey guys, I'm currently running a '12 JKU, 5 Spd Auto, 3.21 on 37" tires. I know, I know. It came like this from the dealer.

Anyways, I'm trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88 for my gears. I've looked at the charts and 4.56 is in the green for "Good Daily Driver, Moderate Wheeling" while the 4.88 and 5.13 both fall under "fair daily driver, hard wheeling".

HOWEVER, I keep hearing people say to go 4.88. Take into account my rig is probably 80% DD, 20% wheeling, and that's being generous on the wheeling end.

Can anyone running 4.56 on 37's give me some info/review on them compared to a 4.88?

(Also, I am going to be adjusting with a procal when I regear)

Weather it's your daily driver or not 5.13 is the way to go like overlanderjk said . ...... The moment you put those 37's on going green went right out the window. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Flatattack

I'm running 4.56's in my '12 auto. I'm happy with the performance my 34" Duratrac's are giving me but I'll would suggest 4.88's with 37" tires.

cctroupe

5.13's are what you want for 37's.

And 20% wheeling is 3,000 miles a year if you go off the average mileage from KBB and whatnot. That's a lot of off-road miles.

I live in a small town, I probably don't drive half of what KBB's average says. Lol. I was just trying to show that it's mainly a daily driver. I wheel every now and then, but not hardcore or all the time like some folks do.

jeeeep

Hooked
I live in a small town, I probably don't drive half of what KBB's average says. Lol. I was just trying to show that it's mainly a daily driver. I wheel every now and then, but not hardcore or all the time like some folks do.

I've talked to lots of guys in our local club with automatics and from the discussions I've had with the owners, I hear more tell me they wish they had gone 4.88 instead of 5.13 versus they wish they had gone 5.13 instead of 4.88

Contact your local club and find some guys that have what you're thinking about and ask if they would take you on a ride or let you drive their rig...

I have a 2010 with 35's and 4.88 - I chose not to go 5.13 because of the 4speed on these (3sp with very tall OD) 5.13's would have made locking out OD useless. I tow and need to be able to lockout OD. On the trail I lockout OD and leave it locked out. If I had made it primarily a trail rig I'd probably have 5.13's as they feel great on the trail but as much as I drive in a day I'm happy I got 4.88's.

I considered buying a newer JK for the 3.6 but have decided I'll transplant an LS versus the cost of a new JK, unless they come out with a diesel

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you are a flat lander you might be fine with 4.88. If you go in the mountains at all, get 5.13.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I went 5.13 in my 2011 with 35's because of two things.

1. I live in a hilly area so like Sharkey said it makes it easier.
2. I plan to move up to 37's at some point so it is in prep for that.

So I say 5.13's are your best bet. They are a little high in the rpm range for 35's but sooo worth it!

Sent from my iPhone

CerOf

Are you regearing just for tires? Do you have/plan on getting a roof rack? Heavy bumpers?

Adding my roof rack feels the same as going up 1" or so in tire size.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

I run 37's and 5.13's. And love it, would not have it any other way. I live in the mountains and its not my daily driver

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmmcdona

I don't have a JK, but on my LJ with a 4.0 I run 37" tires with 4.88 gears. At 70mph it turns about 2800 rpm's with overdrive off. Overdrive on it wants to drop out of OD, but I live in the Texas panhandle and it's windy as hell over here on a daily basis. On the off chance it's not windy the ol' LJ runs fine. You JK owners have a bit more HP so IMO I think the 4.88's would be fine

cctroupe

Are you regearing just for tires? Do you have/plan on getting a roof rack? Heavy bumpers?

Adding my roof rack feels the same as going up 1" or so in tire size.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

No rack. Already running smittybilt bumpers and tire carrier.

Top Bottom