Trek NX Wind Noise

So tonight was the first trip in Canvas with the new top and it was like riding in a wind tunnel with a lot of wind noise doing from where the top meets the windshield. What has been done to Canvas the past couple of weekend was a OR Fab sport cage and the Bestop Trek NX.

Please help

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
So tonight was the first trip in Canvas with the new top and it was like riding in a wind tunnel with a lot of wind noise doing from where the top meets the windshield. What has been done to Canvas the past couple of weekend was a OR Fab sport cage and the Bestop Trek NX.

Please help

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Hate to break it to you brother......it's not going to get any better......Our Jeeps are boxes in the wind and the front windshields upright angle doesn't help deflect or move the air over the top of the vehicle so we'll and i think that has alot to do with the noise we hear.......I've never really had a problem with the noise of my top.......the whistle of my 50" LED........or even the noise the wind creates while driving w/o my top or doors........it's a Jeep and I've accepted the fact that it's not going to be a quiet ride unless i ride with the hardtop on all the time......I turn up the radio a little more and drive on......

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

Atch

Have you ridden in any other jeeps with a soft top on? They are louder than the hard tops but not like driving in a wind tunnel. Was it a pretty windy day? If it's super windy it can be fairly loud inside the jeep.

TheDuff

Well, my NX doesn't make much noise. U say you installed a sport cage, did u drop the windshield when u installed it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

Hate to break it to you brother......it's not going to get any better......Our Jeeps are boxes in the wind and the front windshields upright angle doesn't help deflect or move the air over the top of the vehicle so we'll and i think that has alot to do with the noise we here.......I've never really had a problem with the noise of my top.......the whistle of my 50" LED........or even the noise the wind creates while driving w/o my top or doors........it's a Jeep and I've accepted the fact that it's not going to be a quiet ride unless i ride with the hardtop on all the time......I turn up the radio a little more and drive on......

~Woodrow~

Agreed. Also I think its no noisier than othef soft tops. BTW, it looks like a large space where top meets header in front windshield but that is normal

Also, silly but did u tuck in all plastic pieces in to frame of jeep? That's would add a lot if noise

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

If it was positioned correctly and held shape against strong wind force, it could in theory keep the wind from actually hitting the soft top, sorta like drafting in nascar.... but I couldn't tell you If this exact product is capable of doing just that.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mrmet1983

I had a trek nx and sold it cuz it was so much louder then stock twill soft top I can't speak for the new twill trek top but my trek top nx was so much louder glad to have the oem twill top back personally. Don't get me wrong it killed me to sell it I love the slant back look just don't like the design of the trek top

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

pvanweelden

In theory, someone could tape across the seam where windshield meets soft top header to see if that cuts down the windnoise.
My trek top is louder at the header than my soft tops on my tj :mad:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

My trek top is fkn awesome compared to the stock soft top way less wind noise through the front

I agree but u can still do what I did...buy the slant back hard top!! If course 2 months later, still waiting for it to come in

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

VADER JK

I've never had a problem with noise from my trektop. Maybe its just how tight you have it, but mine wasn't really any louder than the hardtop and I didn't notice anything annoying. I guess we'll see how it is when I put it back on after winter. I do miss having it on

GCM 2

Will, here is what I got for you as per your request. Hope these photos give you a comparison. Also, I know this is kind of redneck as far as a temporary fix, but for long hwy drives you can take a piece of really strong, body color matching, duct tape (I used black gorilla tape) and run one continuous strip from the driver side A-pillar over the gap all the way to the passenger side A-pillar. I did this for the JKX due to a few thousand miles of hwy driving and it cut the nose down to nothing.

image-808986950.jpg

image-1099333744.jpg

image-736801382.jpg

image-327509223.jpg

Greg thank you for the pictures and yes it does answer the question as to the positioning of my top. Did not think of using Gorilla Tape.

R/
Will

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
my top is no louder than my stock top, only real difference is the trektop doesnt leak like my stock top did.

Charlie Mike

for long hwy drives you can take a piece of really strong, body color matching, duct tape (I used black gorilla tape) and run one continuous strip from the driver side A-pillar over the gap all the way to the passenger side A-pillar. I did this for the JKX due to a few thousand miles of hwy driving and it cut the nose down to nothing.

Another tape option is Gaff tape or Gaffer's tape. Used a lot in the entertainment industry. Not quite as tacky as duct tap, but is plenty strong and doesn't leave any residue once you peel it off. Not sure if you had any issues with sticky left over residue, GCM, but I can imagine that being annoying problem especially on the soft top fabric.

GCM 2

Another tape option is Gaff tape or Gaffer's tape. Used a lot in the entertainment industry. Not quite as tacky as duct tap, but is plenty strong and doesn't leave any residue once you peel it off. Not sure if you had any issues with sticky left over residue, GCM, but I can imagine that being annoying problem especially on the soft top fabric.

Yep, had some glue residue left on the paint and the top. Not really that hard to remove from the paint, and because the soft top is a flat surface completely out of view on my jeep, I don't notice it up there ;)

I do run most of the year with either my half doors, or no doors, so to be honest I am not really bothered by the wind noise unless I'm runnining my full factory doors.

Top Bottom