U-joints won't fit!

jeeeep

Hooked
So I was going to install the Ten Factory shafts and noticed one of the needles was missing out of a cap, I couldn't find it anywhere within the area I was working so I went and got a couple of replacement u-joints locally (4WP). Spicer 5-7166X ( 5004891) I noticed they were thicker in the body than the units sent with the Ten Factory axle shafts - and they don't fit... I went back to 4WP and they confirmed they were the correct joints, called Northridge and after some research on their part, they indicated that I had received the older style from 4WP as Spicer had made this joint and after fitment issues recast them. SPR5182 is new casting, SPR199 is old casting and thicker body
Northridge is sending the correct u-joints.
Just wanted to post this so if you are carrying a spare, you may want to compare it to what you have so you don't get stuck somewhere only to discover the same issue.

Attachments

• 20140130_151254.jpg
    20140130_151254.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 543
  • 20140130_151352.jpg
    20140130_151352.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 546
  • 20140130_151602.jpg
    20140130_151602.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 556

JK's JK

Banned
I was told by BONDSY that he received the same U-joints for a DANA 44. I guess he ground down the axle shaft joints to squeeze in the U-joints. I've got one of those joints that he left in my trunk to show me the issue he had.

jeeeep

Hooked
yea, that's what Northridge recommended and I still may do it because it's going to be a nice weekend - I've had all the parts for weeks and would like to get everything done but I hate removing material from parts like this.

But this may be the last nice weekend for awhile again...damn cold weather trying to freeze hell over :beer:

CrazyLarry

I was told by BONDSY that he received the same U-joints for a DANA 44. I guess he ground down the axle shaft joints to squeeze in the U-joints. I've got one of those joints that he left in my trunk to show me the issue he had.

I had to do this as well with my ten factory's

JK's JK

Banned
yea, that's what Northridge recommended and I still may do it because it's going to be a nice weekend - I've had all the parts for weeks and would like to get everything done but I hate removing material from parts like this.

But this may be the last nice weekend for awhile again...damn cold weather trying to freeze hell over :beer:

It would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well having to remove material from a manufactured spec part and then have to modify the part.........I'm glad the Alloy USA stopped using splicer and started there own brand which fits without modification.

jeeeep

Hooked
It would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well having to remove material from a manufactured spec part and then have to modify the part.........I'm glad the Alloy USA stopped using splicer and started there own brand which fits without modification.

Just to be clear, the joints sent with the Ten Factory were correct, when I pulled the caps on one of the joints I noticed a needle bearing missing and couldn't see that it fell out anywhere. I bought new joint locally and that's when all the fitment issues begin.

I spoke with Spicer tech support and got the following information:

Part #5004891 is an older style now discontinued and often get relabeled with the current part #5-7166x since they are for the JK but older JK - these have a larger center body and caused fitment issues with the newer JK's

Part #5-7166X is the current style with the slightly thinner center and will fit all current JKs with no fitment issues - I took what 4WP sold me that were relabeled (bottom of the box was stamped 5004891) and exchanged it for 5-7166X (stamped on the box) and it fit just as it should.

Spicer Chrysler part #68017182AA

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Just to be clear, the joints sent with the Ten Factory were correct, when I pulled the caps on one of the joints I noticed a needle bearing missing and couldn't see that it fell out anywhere. I bought new joint locally and that's when all the fitment issues begin.

I spoke with Spicer tech support and got the following information:

Part #5004891 is an older style now discontinued and often get relabeled with the current part #5-7166x since they are for the JK but older JK - these have a larger center body and caused fitment issues with the newer JK's

Part #5-7166X is the current style with the slightly thinner center and will fit all current JKs with no fitment issues - I took what 4WP sold me that were relabeled (bottom of the box was stamped 5004891) and exchanged it for 5-7166X (stamped on the box) and it fit just as it should.

Spicer Chrysler part #68017182AA

The spicer SPR 199 labeled on the body I guess Alloy USA also sold in there kits. Those are the ones that I was told had to grind down the inner part of the axle shaft for fitment. But does suck the needle bear was missing!!!

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
The spicer 199 I guess Alloy USA also sold in there kits. Those are the ones that I was told had to grind down the inner part of the axle shaft for fitment. But does suck the needle bear was missing!!!

it does suck since I couldn't prove the needle was gone before I pulled the cap and these suckers are $$$. But, I was glad I found this out now - would hate to be out and have u-joint issues only to discover the spare wouldn't fit!

I was also told to grind down the inner part by 4WP but when I asked if they would put it in writing and cover the warranty they added "at your own risk" lol. I did talk to Ten Factory about grinding it down and they discouraged grinding anything as it would void the warranty since I had modified the part.

JK's JK

Banned
it does suck since I couldn't prove the needle was gone before I pulled the cap and these suckers are $$$. But, I was glad I found this out now - would hate to be out and have u-joint issues only to discover the spare wouldn't fit!

I was also told to grind down the inner part by 4WP but when I asked if they would put it in writing and cover the warranty they added "at your own risk" lol. I did talk to Ten Factory about grinding it down and they discouraged grinding anything as it would void the warranty since I had modified the part.

I for sure feel your pain. I've gone around and around in circles with issues myself and that's when the anger builds. But at least northridge4x4 was able to take the time and help you out unlike 4 wheel drive parts. I truly like northridge4x4 customer service. I may have a contact still in the sales department with 4wd and could hook you up??? Not sure what he could do but could gain some ground.

jeeeep

Hooked
it's all good now, got the correct u-joints, no grinding involved and u-joints went in like they should, I wanted to get this done before winter made a comeback lol

When I get the joints from Northridge I'll have spares.

OHIIIIIO

it's all good now, got the correct u-joints, no grinding involved and u-joints went in like they should, I wanted to get this done before winter made a comeback lol

When I get the joints from Northridge I'll have spares.

So what is the Actual Spicer ujoint that has the 5182 casting if it's not the 5-7166. This thing is driving me crazy. Thanks

jeeeep

Hooked
So what is the Actual Spicer ujoint that has the 5182 casting if it's not the 5-7166. This thing is driving me crazy. Thanks

it is the Spicer 5-7166X , that is the correct u-joint, however some of the older u-joints may have been relabeled with the new number. that's what I discovered 4WP had done, they just stuck a large label over the old number.

I would think by now all old stock is probably gone and the odds of getting an old u-joint are pretty slim.

compare the flat surface from the earlier post, you'll know if you have the right units

deman

it is the Spicer 5-7166X , that is the correct u-joint, however some of the older u-joints may have been relabeled with the new number. that's what I discovered 4WP had done, they just stuck a large label over the old number.

I would think by now all old stock is probably gone and the odds of getting an old u-joint are pretty slim.

compare the flat surface from the earlier post, you'll know if you have the right units

That may be so but I just bought some from 4WP for my 2013 and they don't fit, not by a mile - the box wasn't relabeled so I don't know what to make of it. I'm going to have to order the Alloy 11502's as I've gotten confirmation they do fit all years D44 on the Rubicon (and the end caps are greasable which I like).

What a pain in the butt. I'm a little pi$$ed at 4WP for selling me the wrong parts - they asked what year they are for and *should* have the expertise to know that after 2012 there was a change in the axle yoke design.

WJCO

Meme King
That may be so but I just bought some from 4WP for my 2013 and they don't fit, not by a mile - the box wasn't relabeled so I don't know what to make of it. I'm going to have to order the Alloy 11502's as I've gotten confirmation they do fit all years D44 on the Rubicon (and the end caps are greasable which I like).

What a pain in the butt. I'm a little pi$$ed at 4WP for selling me the wrong parts - they asked what year they are for and *should* have the expertise to know that after 2012 there was a change in the axle yoke design.

Welcome to 4wp. I've had issues there too like that. Good luck.

jeeeep

Hooked

yeah, I've run into issues where they reboxed them, i always open up the box to check.
take them back and have them swap then out forthe correct units, definitely a pain in the ass.

deman

Well, the Alloy's don't fit either - not by a long shot. Amazing all these sites (4WP, Quadratec) are all 100% wrong. These beefier u-joints only fit 2007 - 2012 JKs, definitely not 2013 and up. What a shame. 2 weeks, 2 vendors, and 2 sets of u-joints and still my rig is up on jackstands. F'ing blows.

jeeeep

Hooked
Well, the Alloy's don't fit either - not by a long shot. Amazing all these sites (4WP, Quadratec) are all 100% wrong. These beefier u-joints only fit 2007 - 2012 JKs, definitely not 2013 and up. What a shame. 2 weeks, 2 vendors, and 2 sets of u-joints and still my rig is up on jackstands. F'ing blows.

damn...what's the casting number on the u-joints?

you want to order the Spicer 5-7166X and make sure the casting number is SPR5182

I got mine from Amazon - but they don't come with full circle clips

https://www.amazon.com/Spicer-5-716...r=1-9&refinements=p_89:Spicer,p_85:2470955011

Last edited:
Top Bottom