Jeep won't start unless jumped then crazy lights and clicks?

jimbjk68

Any one seen this? I was in drive thru tonight and turned jeep off to use key to open locked console. When I tried to restart, Jeep would not start could not get out of park. After a few minutes of blocking the window I was able to get out of park and push to parking lot, luckily down hill. I had to jump start to get it to start and during drive home I had flashing headlights, flashing brake lights, clicking sound from gear shift (auto) speedo jumping around, engine revving while driving with my foot steady on the gas. Tach seemed stable. Would not start when I got home. 2012 JKU with auto and sadly no mods yet. 36800 miles. Any help would be appreciated. Also all the dash lights flashing on and off as I drive.

1BAMFR

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple minutes and reconnect. See if it resets things.

If it needs a jump..definitely replace the battery.

Tigrcky

id say poor connection or regulator going out in your alternator, which could lead to battery not being charged right. the engine revving could be because of the power cutting out and causing the fuel pump and ignition system to cut out as well. go to a local shop and have a battery and charging system test done, they should (if they are a good shop) run a field jumper to the alternator to rule out any bad connections. also one thing to inquire about is that it could be a bad computer, (in jeeps the computer controls the charging system) which honestly if everything else checks out fine (connections, battery, etc...) i would check into that. good news is it should be covered under warranty, all of it. Best of luck :thumb:

jimbjk68

Connections seem tight, have not had anything apart. I might take battery to local store and check for dead cell. Started great after jumped, but not sure about all the crazy lights and clicking gear shift lockout.

Tigrcky

Connections seem tight, have not had anything apart. I might take battery to local store and check for dead cell. Started great after jumped, but not sure about all the crazy lights and clicking gear shift lockout.

the only correct way to test a battery is to fully charge it and do a load test on it monitoring voltage. what controls the gear shifter lock out is receiving a signal from the brake light switch (brake is depressed the lock out disengages). next time it does that just pop the transfer case into neutral and then you can roll your jeep. however now that i think about all that you are describing more im really starting to lean towards a bad wire on the ECU (computer) or a bad ECU. i say take it to the dealership you bought it from and have it tested and see if the warranty will cover all repair and diagnosis work.

jimbjk68

the only correct way to test a battery is to fully charge it and do a load test on it monitoring voltage. what controls the gear shifter lock out is receiving a signal from the brake light switch (brake is depressed the lock out disengages). next time it does that just pop the transfer case into neutral and then you can roll your jeep. however now that i think about all that you are describing more im really starting to lean towards a bad wire on the ECU (computer) or a bad ECU. i say take it to the dealership you bought it from and have it tested and see if the warranty will cover all repair and diagnosis work.

Thanks for the info. I did not think about transfer case in neutral and being able to at least roll and get out of the drive thru line.

Tigrcky

Thanks for the info. I did not think about transfer case in neutral and being able to at least roll and get out of the drive thru line.

no prob thats what we are all here for! and in the heat of the moment when the pressure is on we all forget things, oh btw welcome to wayalife!:standing wave: go to the give us a wave section and give everyone a wave and introduce yourself! :thumb:

pacountryboy

Had the same issue over the summer.... Switched the battery over from my fiancés car And it fired right up....I checked every damn connection and it was throwing brake sensor codes. A new battery fixed all.

Keep Calm & Chive On
07 X with stuff

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Dead battery will cause all kinds of problems, including throwing codes for "ghost problems" or for problems that don't exist at all rather. It can and will cause the problems you have described. Change the battery.

BBrown626

Any one seen this? I was in drive thru tonight and turned jeep off to use key to open locked console. When I tried to restart, Jeep would not start could not get out of park. After a few minutes of blocking the window I was able to get out of park and push to parking lot, luckily down hill. I had to jump start to get it to start and during drive home I had flashing headlights, flashing brake lights, clicking sound from gear shift (auto) speedo jumping around, engine revving while driving with my foot steady on the gas. Tach seemed stable. Would not start when I got home. 2012 JKU with auto and sadly no mods yet. 36800 miles. Any help would be appreciated. Also all the dash lights flashing on and off as I drive.

Bad battery? When it is running check the alternator output. It should be 14 volts. If that is good try charging the battery with a portable charger and see it it takes a charge. If not, bad battery. As other have said you may just have bad connections. I had a similar scenario occur a few months ago. The battery was bad.
After hearing of so many of them failing it might be worth your $$ to just go get the Die Hard Platinum or another good battery.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I had same issue ended up being a short in side the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jimbjk68

I had battery checked and found dead cell. I put in new battery, everything back to normal. Thanks to everyone for the info. Glad to be back to normal and an easy fix.

Tigrcky

I had battery checked and found dead cell. I put in new battery, everything back to normal. Thanks to everyone for the info. Glad to be back to normal and an easy fix.

So glad that's all it was!!! :thumbup:

Sent from my whatchamacallit

Cisco12gc

Had similar problem

12 gc wouldn't start. Turned key to on and wipers and dash lights with flashing engine light came on. Was a loose relay on top of radiator area. Just pushed it in and car was fine.

Top Bottom