Wireless OBD2 monitoring

SDG

Caught the Bug
Just found out about this from my boss who is putting one in his motorhome, but thought it was pretty slick and some of you guys/gals may be interested...

You can get a bluetooth OBD2 reader (ELM 327 mini seems to be the best from what I have read) $12
Get Torque Pro ($4.95 on google play)

You can monitor just about anything your on board diagnostics spits out, check engine codes, clear them etc...
Tans temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, instantaneous MPG, calculated MPG etc etc

I dont have any of this stuff yet, so cant confirm that it works on a JK, but can only assume that it does.

My boss got a cheapo Galaxy 7" tablet for like $140 to run this and gps etc...

Sounds like a pretty good setup to me. Can use the tablet to run GPS, waypoints etc... then have the torque app with your customized screens spit out all kinds of crap you may be interested in.

This video is relatively informative even though the guy is kinda a goof...

From what I have read these bluetooth OBD devices dont work with Ianything... unless jailbroke because apple wont give up the permissions, but to anyone with an android phone or tablet it may be pretty useful.

mtnbiker995

That's what I have and I love it...it's also a nice little code reader whenever my friends have a CEL

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

Also for the iPhone and iPad, you have to get the WIFI elm 327. You're correct about the Bluetooth not working on apple products

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Do your research first. I could be wrong, but I thought that to get many of the temp readings you must install sensors (in other words, I'm not sure the OBDII actual receives temp information.) I thought that is why the TrailDash requires daisy chained sensors. Otherwise, it could just get all information from the OBD. Again, I'm not positive so do your research before spending your money.

mtnbiker995

Do your research first. I could be wrong, but I thought that to get many of the temp readings you must install sensors (in other words, I'm not sure the OBDII actual receives temp information.) I thought that is why the TrailDash requires daisy chained sensors. Otherwise, it could just get all information from the OBD. Again, I'm not positive so do your research before spending your money.

I know you can check auto tranny temp, I have a friend that uses it for that on the trail.

If nothing else I think the $20 or so to spend on the device and app makes it worth it as a code reader alone

SDG

Caught the Bug

Good point Sharkey. As i said, I dont have one yet, so I am not sure what it picks up on the JK. I have watched some different videos of the Torque app running on different vehicles and it was getting turbo boost psi, O2, CFM through mass airflow sensor etc. Guess it comes down to what the vehicle has sensors for.

After doing a little more research, looks like it should be able to do all of the following:

Transmission temperature
Coolant temperature
Battery voltage
Torque converter clutch slip RPM (useful for seeing how much your trans is slipping in real time, and also shows you when your TC locks and unlocks)
Engine load
Ignition advance
Intake air temperature
Knock sensor voltage
O2 sensor voltages
ESP parameters: Steering angle, yaw (body roll), lateral G, longitudinal G
Engine RPM
MPH
Fuel remaining (% full)

mtnbiker995

You can also monitor other things like engine misfires, o2 sensors, and other random engine readings

SDG

Caught the Bug
You can also monitor other things like engine misfires, o2 sensors, and other random engine readings

Yea, I am not sure how "useful" the real time monoitoring of a lot of those things would be, but I am going to get one and see if I can find anything cool. For the whopping $20 investment it will be worth it just for a obd2 scanner that I can use on multiple vehicles.

mtnbiker995

Yea, I am not sure how "useful" the real time monoitoring of a lot of those things would be, but I am going to get one and see if I can find anything cool. For the whopping $20 investment it will be worth it just for a obd2 scanner that I can use on multiple vehicles.

Yea I fully agree with that. I've never had a use for those reading but I've put the scanner to use multiple times

GuillaumeC91

That is cool! Makes me want to pull my radio out and replace it with a big android screen! Digital gauges everywhere, plus watching movies in the Jeep!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Rottenbelly

I have been using the torque app for a while. Love being able to see tranny temps.
Have my phone mounted above the mirror.

2trackin

I also use this and have done so for a year or so. Worked perfectly on my Subaru Wrx STi when tuned. It won't be as good as live gauges for boost. But it was pretty dang accurate. Not to mention it allows for data logging which is a huge plus.
I have yet to use it on the Jeep. I'm not sure exactly why I would need it on it honestly. Maybe for temperatures I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SarahLu

Is anyone doing this with an iPad/iPhone? I've read that Bluetooth doesn't work with apple, but with wifi won't it only work when there is a wifi connection available? Which isn't very stable connectivity while driving?

StrizzyChris

That's what I have and I love it...it's also a nice little code reader whenever my friends have a CEL

What app will you use in conjunction with this?

I have been using the torque app for a while. Love being able to see tranny temps.
Have my phone mounted above the mirror.

is this an app that came with your device, or one that you just like to use and any app works with these OBD ports?

SarahLu

I was looking at the dash command app on iPhone/iPad. But it looks like apple devices are a little picker about the obd2 scanners than android devices for connectivity. I ordered one from amazon hopefully it works.

JKFlyer

Good point Sharkey. As i said, I dont have one yet, so I am not sure what it picks up on the JK. I have watched some different videos of the Torque app running on different vehicles and it was getting turbo boost psi, O2, CFM through mass airflow sensor etc. Guess it comes down to what the vehicle has sensors for.

After doing a little more research, looks like it should be able to do all of the following:

Transmission temperature
Coolant temperature
Battery voltage
Torque converter clutch slip RPM (useful for seeing how much your trans is slipping in real time, and also shows you when your TC locks and unlocks)
Engine load
Ignition advance
Intake air temperature
Knock sensor voltage
O2 sensor voltages
ESP parameters: Steering angle, yaw (body roll), lateral G, longitudinal G
Engine RPM
MPH
Fuel remaining (% full)

I have trail dash and it does give all ( or most...dont monitor everything) of above readings without needing any other sensors. I thought I'd need buy ADdL sensors too but never did

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

SarahLu

I didn't know what trail dash was so I just googled and OUCH! For that price it shouldn't need anything else lol.

SarahLu

Top Bottom