Rear Drive Shaft Movement

steve_r2

Ok ....had my JK on the lift today (09 auto 4 door ) and checked the play in the rear drive shaft. Gearbox was in neutral at the time. There was play front to rear etc about 1 - 2" . Is this to be expected or something that requires further investigation ?

JKbrick

Do you mean you can push it forwards and rearwards 1" to 2"? That doesn't sound good to me

jeeeep

Hooked
if it's in neutral it'll have play, remember it needs to move in order to go from hi to lo
are you experiencing any issue that you're checking for?

steve_r2

if it's in neutral it'll have play, remember it needs to move in order to go from hi to lo
are you experiencing any issue that you're checking for?
Had a swap to 4.88's and since then had vibration through the driveline.....can hear and feel it....almost like a sine wave in frequency

Tranquillity

Does your shop that made the mods has a good reputation ? I'm wondering if your mechanic could have forgotten to tighten the pinion. Just throwing some idea here...

JKbrick

Are you pushing the driveshaft back and forward or the whole Jeep? If it's the whole Jeep I would image you could move it a little, would test mine for you but it's a 6sp.

mrmet1983

If ur rucking the entire jeep back and forward it's totally normal it's the slack in the drive train now it ur sliding ur DS front and back that's no bueno

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

steve_r2

If ur rucking the entire jeep back and forward it's totally normal it's the slack in the drive train now it ur sliding ur DS front and back that's no bueno

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.
Ok so both driveshafts have been replaced (CV's on both were shot).
Vibration not as bad but still aware of it from 55mph onwards.
Will try and get the tires RoadForce balanced tomorrow to make sure .....
I have the AEV drop correction brackets with their 2.5" lift so would caster be an issue ?
Just throwing ideas out at what I should do next.
Btw....stock DS not aftermarket.

JKbrick

Try pulling one ds out at a time, drive up to speed, and see if driveline vibrations go away

Top Bottom