Building rock sliders, 2 door pic request (so that I can rip off EVO)

Holeshot

Banned
I am about to start the build of a pair of rock sliders for my 2 door. I am a big fan of the evo sliders, but don't have the money to buy them, So I will build them. It's gonna cost around 60$ of material.

I will buy 24 feets of 1.66" x 0.140" HSS tubing which costs around 1.80$/ft. plus 2 square feets of 3/16" steel plate.

I have been looking for detailed pics but haven't found what I was looking for. I would like to see both ends, plus the mountings on the frame. Just to give me an idea of where they are welded and how the braces are build.

:standing wave:

pvanweelden

I applaud that you are building your own sliders. :thumbup:
I do want to point out however, that Evo uses Dom tubing, not hss or hrew pipe. Dom is usually $6 per foot, and about 36 feet of it=$216 in dom alone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I am about to start the build of a pair of rock sliders for my 2 door. I am a big fan of the evo sliders, but don't have the money to buy them, So I will build them. It's gonna cost around 60$ of material.

I will buy 24 feets of 1.66" x 0.140" HSS tubing which costs around 1.80$/ft. plus 2 square feets of 3/16" steel plate.

I have been looking for detailed pics but haven't found what I was looking for. I would like to see both ends, plus the mountings on the frame. Just to give me an idea of where they are welded and how the braces are build.

:standing wave:

Great job building your own sliders! I have the tools and capability to build my own, unfortunately I don't have the patience. I would definitely spend the money and use DOM tubing. It'll be worth it in the end, especially if you consider the time you'll have in them, don't want to have to re do them later.

Rebel JK

I have a few pics of the set me and my son did on profile page album. Not sure what style your looking for but good luck!

Rusty

There is the fact though that DOM tubing in certain sizes is rare thing in Quebec, and schedule 40 and schedule 80 pressure tested sprinkler system pipe is easily available.

I just bought a 23’ of Dom 1.75” .120 tubing up here and it cost me 11.90$ / foot... At least it says Made in the USA... So it’s not cheap Chinese steel.

Congrates on building your own sliders Holeshot... BTW one day I will have to drive up there so we could do a run...

Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
Hss is strong enough im pretty sure. I'll be using 0.020" thicker tubing with an OD of 0.011" smaller than the EVO one's. I'm pretty sure it will last the life of the jeep. I'm no hard core wheeler and rock trails are rare around here, so I don't beleive puttin 250+$ in DOM is primordial. At this price I would buy a set of Ace weld on sliders which are very similar as EVO in design and won't break my back and time doing it myself.

I got plenty of time, and 60$ for a pair of customized sliders is cheap :standing wave:

Holeshot

Banned
Congrates on building your own sliders Holeshot... BTW one day I will have to drive up there so we could do a run...

yeah sure! A friend of mine is moving up in Qc city in a month and we'll meet a couple times in the summer. We'd like to go somewhere in the laurentides with the CJA club or whoever do trails in this area.

Mikes Offroad

Here are the EVO inspired ones I built for my 4dr. I used DOM tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1063[1].jpg
    IMG_1063[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1055[1].jpg
    IMG_1055[1].jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 483

Holeshot

Banned
FYI, my stinger is also made of hss, 1.900" x 1.145" and has faced a brick wall and rear ended a ram, no bending, pretty solid.

pvanweelden

I wasn't arguing the strength, I agree with what you are doing, I am in the process of doing the exact same thing, I just wanted to point out to others the difference in materials and price.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Holeshot

Banned
Alright, the material has been ordered this week. A friend of mine will built a set as well. He works in a wood mill as an industrial mechanic, and they do have HSS tubing. We ordered 63 foot for both sets, they comes in 21 foot bars. So we'll have plenty of left over for practice or mistakes :D. At his shop, Hss 1,66x0,140 comes at the ridiculous price of 1.30$ a foot. 2 squared feet of 3/16 steel plate will cost 12,50$.

We have access to plasma cutter, and carbide hole saw and a press drill :thumb: it's gonna be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
I have been asked for measurements a few times so i decided to post a draft of the dimensions i took on my friends sliders.

I was short in space on that piece of paper but it should do the job.

Holeshot

Banned
I have just finished my 3D plan, with my new personal logo. will chek to get them laser cut maybe :thinking: it would be nice.

AOD 2dr slider.jpg

And if anyone could take me some measurement on the evo 4dr slider it would be appriciated. The measurements i would need are :

- the total lenght of the bottom tube
- Distance between the center tubes (center to center)
- Distance from the sides and in between each slider to frame tubes (side to center, and center to center)

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So you took the exact measurements from EVO sliders and are making them with your logo? That's very original. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom