Bent Tie Rod

H8MUD

Bent my tie rod while wheeling and have to replace it. Was thinking of the Rock Krawler mainly because I already have their suspension and the price tag. Also found the Currie but its way out of my price range.

Any other recommendations?

TheDuff

Here are some others to look at:
Ruffstuff
Synergy
Metalcloak
Pollyperformance

I don't have any personal experience with any of them. But I do know that the ruffstuff is the cheapest and uses GM 1 ton rod ends, forum member RebelJK has one.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bent my tie rod while wheeling and have to replace it. Was thinking of the Rock Krawler mainly because I already have their suspension and the price tag. Also found the Currie but its way out of my price range.

RK is a good choice. I've run one in the past and was happy with it. The only other tie rod I would and have run is the Currie but, like you said, it's pretty expensive.

suicideking

Synergy is what I'm running and my first choice (also can't afford the Currie). RK would also be good. Whichever you can get a better price on.

aaronstephen

Right now at Northridge 4x4 you can enter the "rockuary" promo code and get 20% of there tie rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersey_Devil

Bent my tie rod last March. It's still on my rig with NO problems what so ever. Jeep drives straight as an arrow. Only time I adjust the wheel is when I installed a new track bar. I'm riding the bent rod till it falls off!

Sent from my obama monitoring device

rodgerdathug

I have the currie. And yes the down size is the price tag look for a drag link end was a bitch. So had a lump sum check come in and got the currie love the pod idea to change out end link that go bad. And beefy as hell.

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bent my tie rod last March. It's still on my rig with NO problems what so ever. Jeep drives straight as an arrow. Only time I adjust the wheel is when I installed a new track bar. I'm riding the bent rod till it falls off!

LOL!! I hear ya. So long as you can still adjust your toe-in to where it needs to be, there's no real reason to replace your tie-rod even if it's bent. In fact, if you have a shop press, you can use one to kinda straighten it out. At least, that's what I've done with the factory tie rod that I still have on my 2012 JK. 70,000+ miles later and a TON of trails and I still haven't been able to justify getting a replacement... yet :D

H8MUD

LOL!! I hear ya. So long as you can still adjust your toe-in to where it needs to be, there's no real reason to replace your tie-rod even if it's bent. In fact, if you have a shop press, you can use one to kinda straighten it out. At least, that's what I've done with the factory tie rod that I still have on my 2012 JK. 70,000+ miles later and a TON of trails and I still haven't been able to justify getting a replacement... yet :D

Now you got me thinking of holding off. Maybe wait till it gets banged some more. I definitely don't wheel as hard as Eddie...not even close.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now you got me thinking of holding off. Maybe wait till it gets banged some more. I definitely don't wheel as hard as Eddie...not even close.

Well, I'm kinda cheap and I certainly don't like replacing things just because the manufacturer who makes x,y or z part is cool or because everyone tells me they did and love it. For the most part, I only replace things that I break or damage to the point where it really needs to be replaced - that's why even Moby is still running factory skid plates. Not saying that you can't break a factory tie-rod, god knows that I have and more than once on my other JK's but, so far so good on Rubicat. After straightening it up a bit on my shop press (more than once), all has been good :yup:

Mine is bent. Still haven't replaced it.

View attachment 67145

I like to call it "clearnaced" :cheesy:

Like I said, so long as you can still get your toe-in set and it doesn't get in the way of steering, there's really nothing wrong with it. And, once it does become and issue, you can straighten them out a bit to give you a bit more life out of it :yup:

Jersey_Devil

Yea I stuck a crow bar in there and bent it back SOME, but I can still make all necessary adjustments

I'll be purchasing a new on this year but not installing till this one is completely shot. So whenever I hit up Rausch Creek I'll just bring it with me incase I mangle it on the trail and can just replace it right there and not be stuck cuz it's my dd and I need to make a 3hr ride home from there lol

mrmet1983

Ouch that's a serious bend holy hell lol I just recently replaced my tie rod I went with synergy and have to say I'm very impressed it's crazy strong very beefy and with larger tie rod ends much more durable no complaints at all

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch that's a serious bend holy hell lol I just recently replaced my tie rod I went with synergy and have to say I'm very impressed it's crazy strong very beefy and with larger tie rod ends much more durable no complaints at all

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

:cheesy: Well yeah it's bent to holy hell but, I think the point Adam was trying to make is that it still works. If you have the tools, you can even straighten it out for FREE :yup:

HLKSMSH

I have the Synergy and have to say it is nice and really nice if you have to adjust it. If your set on RK go for it not a bad one either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am heavy on the right foot and roads in Hawaii are hell between the fast driving and rocks on the trails I have had to get things adjusted a few times.

Okay, so you're saying that your Synergy tie-rod still gets bent. That being the case, I think I'll stick with my factory tie-rod.

Top Bottom