Beating the tire carrier topic

Sugarbear

I know there's how many other posts on this but I'm gonna post it again cuz it's easier to find lol but will the stock tire carrier on my 2014 hold a 315/75/16 without any problems??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know there's how many other posts on this but I'm gonna post it again cuz it's easier to find lol but will the stock tire carrier on my 2014 hold a 315/75/16 without any problems??

Depending on what wheels you mount your tires on, you may need to install an adapter bracket or wheel spacer onto the tire carrier to make it work. So long as you make sure to install extended isolators like what Daystar makes to prevent jiggling of the spare, you will not have any problems. In the event you can make it work without having to install an adapter, you will most likely find that the tire will sit tightly on top of your factory bumper. This is actually a good thing as it will help to hold it securely in place.

Sugarbear

Depending on what wheels you mount your tires on, you may need to install an adapter bracket or wheel spacer onto the tire carrier to make it work. So long as you make sure to install extended isolators like what Daystar makes to prevent jiggling of the spare, you will not have any problems. In the event you can make it work without having to install an adapter, you will most likely find that the tire will sit tightly on top of your factory bumper. This is actually a good thing as it will help to hold it securely in place.

Thanks Eddie another noob question I have is how do I know if I need an adapter or wheel spacer??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie another noob question I have is how do I know if I need an adapter or wheel spacer??

Well, you'll know when you try to mount your spare and you can't get your wheel to reach the studs due to the width of your tire. It's a back spacing issue and if you have too much like you would on a factory wheel, it'll need an adapter.

Sugarbear

Well, you'll know when you try to mount your spare and you can't get your wheel to reach the studs due to the width of your tire. It's a back spacing issue and if you have too much like you would on a factory wheel, it'll need an adapter.

face palm I shoulda figured that lol thanks a lot for the help Eddie

Jersey_Devil

Smittybuilt make an "oversized tire carrier" that goes in place of the stock one for like 70 bucks, if u don't mind spending a few bucks. I mounted a 37"km2 on it, pretty solid considering when I rolled the jeep the tail gate was the only thing NOT damaged! Lol

Sent from my obama monitoring device

09blackruby

Thanks for the post on this topic. I just pulled the trigger on 5 35/12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers and will be using my stock Ruby wheels for now. I'm prepared to purchase the spacer and isolators but, I'm assuming the third brake light becomes a problem too. Is there an easy solution to this or is it a non issue?

JKUx

Thanks for the post on this topic. I just pulled the trigger on 5 35/12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers and will be using my stock Ruby wheels for now. I'm prepared to purchase the spacer and isolators but, I'm assuming the third brake light becomes a problem too. Is there an easy solution to this or is it a non issue?

I have a 35" tire on pro comp wheel w/4.75 backspacing, I bought a 1inch wheel spacer to make it fit with daystar isolators, 3rd brake light sits perfectly above tire.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391392590.784331.jpg

09blackruby

Thanks for the response and picture. Looks like it shouldn't be an issue. In that picture do u have the 3 inch Evo springs installed?

suicideking

Smittybuilt make an "oversized tire carrier" that goes in place of the stock one for like 70 bucks, if u don't mind spending a few bucks. I mounted a 37"km2 on it, pretty solid considering when I rolled the jeep the tail gate was the only thing NOT damaged! Lol

I had the Smitty carrier for a while. It runs $129. I had a 35" GY MTR on it. It did the job, but I think long term it would destroy the hinges. It always felt like the tailgate was going to crash to the ground every time I opened it. Decent short term solution though.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm

I had a 33" on the stock carrier with the spacers mentioned above. It was ok, but also felt like it was overpowering the tailgate.

If you don't want to spring for a full bumper/carrier, checkout the OR Fab, Gen Right, and Evo carriers. There's also the Teraflex, but I'm not a fan of that one for the price. Plus I've seen pics on here of it breaking.

JKUx

Thanks for the response and picture. Looks like it shouldn't be an issue. In that picture do u have the 3 inch Evo springs installed?

Teraflex Budget kit currently; I'm waiting for the opportunity to install the Evo coils and related parts I recently purchased.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, you will be just fine carrying a 35" spare on your tailgate SO LONG AS you make sure to keep it from jiggling around. Extended isolators will help you to mitigate that. Over the last 7+ years, I have known plenty of guys to run this setup and a few still are. I myself have run this setup more than once using my factory wheels. Here's a shot of a 35" MT/R on a factory tire carrier. I had a spare wheel spacer that I used to help make it possible but an adapter will do the job as well. Please note that the 3rd brake light is a bit harder to see but, still installed.

main.php

09blackruby

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like a spacer and some isolators will do the trick. After the tire purchase have to keep the spending to a minimum for a bit.. Thanks again..

bl17z90

When did you have 37's? And why did you get rid of them? Lol

Top Bottom