2012 JK parasitic battery drain. Need input.

thedrod

Hello everybody. I have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I have no electrical modifications to my jeep other than trucklites.
I replaced my first battery at 18 months and the new one is draining quickly. Does anyone know where I should start pulling fuses to check for a problem. I have already measured the amps from the battery when it is off and I'm getting 1.5 A when the jeep is turned off.

I am going to start pulling fuses but if anybody has any input as to a known problem with these jeeps please let me know it will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-1078166729.jpg
    image-1078166729.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 168

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a nav system? If so, do you have a CD or DVD in it? If so, remove it. CD's and DVD's especially if they are burned will cause the unit to keep on churning on it well after you turn off your motor and remove the key. This will cause a drain and one that can lead to a dead battery. Ask me how I know.

thedrod

Do you have a nav system? If so, do you have a CD or DVD in it? If so, remove it. CD's and DVD's especially if they are burned will cause the unit to keep on churning on it well after you turn off your motor and remove the key. This will cause a drain and one that can lead to a dead battery. Ask me how I know.

No nav just basic unit with UConnect. It does have a Burned disc in it.

The first battery started cranking really slow. Dealer checked and said it was at 225CCA. Battery was rated at 600. Replaced under warranty with 750CCA battery. 2 months later they are telling me during my routine inspection and oil change "hey your battery is going to need to be replaced soon. It's showing 615CCA and is supposed to be 750CCA." I'm thinking the battery is 2 months old!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

What kind of dumbass design is that?!

jeeeep

Hooked
i'm not sure about the new models, but when I had drains that couldn't be easily solved I would put a meter set to DC amps inline of the positive terminal; battery - meter - pos cable to look for the drain.

I'd start high amps (around 10) and then go lower until I could see the drain on the meter...start pulling fuses until it went away and culprit found.

but if you've had a disc in the head unit you may have found your issue

Last edited:

mackdon

same problem

did you ever find the problem of dead battery? I know about an amp reading between the negative batt and negative cable but I'm told if I have a module that is not going to sleep mode causing a drain, if I remove the battery cable to connect a amp meter that will reset a bad module and now I wont know which it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom