Rubicon front d44 elocker in rear?

robx251

Caught the Bug
I was out on eBay and saw that there was a factory front d44 e locker for sale. I put a super low offer on it and it was accepted I was figuring that its a d44 30 spline it should work in the rear of my sport. Am I way off?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
It isn't the whole axle, it Is just the locker unit.

TheDuff

Ouch, hope it was a low amount if cash, maybe you can make a profit on it

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
spline count will be different- you have 30, that locker will be 32.

So on the rubicon the front locker has the same spline count as the rear locker does I know the rear locker on the Rubicon has 32 spline

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rubicon front axles come with 30 spline and the rears come with 32. A Sport/Sahara/X rear dana 44 comes with 30 spline shafts that are the same length. I have not tried running a front Rubi e-locker in the rear before but, I suppose in theory, it could work with factory 30 spline shafts assuming the carrier bearings are the same and you can get the sensor installed. The Rubicon diffs are proprietary and if anything, this will be your biggest hang-up.

pvanweelden

Sorry- I understand now what you are looking to do - (i suck at reading sometimes :D

yes- front rubi are 30 spline, rear is 32, your d44 is 30. I can't think of a reason right now, why that wouldn't work...

i think it would be wise to do some more researching...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't think of a reason right now, why that wouldn't work...

The biggest reason would be the plunger. The Rubi diffs are cast with a provision to allow for it to enter the diff and mate up with the dog clutch. I just can't see how there would be a way to make this work on a non Rubi diff housing.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys I figured that I would give it a try. I paid just a little over what a cheap lunch box style lock right. If this works it will be a heck of an upgrade over my open rear diff. I figure worst comes to worst I'll just sell it again on eBay.

pvanweelden

^ good catch Eddie

OP- unless you are able to do the test fitting and swapping carriers, bearings yourself, you might end up with a large bill, only to find out it won't work, sorry. :mad:
That is quite the interesting scenario though :thumb:

robx251

Caught the Bug
^ good catch Eddie

OP- unless you are able to do the test fitting and swapping carriers, bearings yourself, you might end up with a large bill, only to find out it won't work, sorry. :mad:
That is quite the interesting scenario though :thumb:

Yes I work in a shop. And am able to do the work myself.

Atch

The biggest reason would be the plunger. The Rubi diffs are cast with a provision to allow for it to enter the diff and mate up with the dog clutch. I just can't see how there would be a way to make this work on a non Rubi diff housing.

Not sure how big of an issue it would be as I've been running my rubi takeoff lockers/axles without the plunger. My gear installer had some issues with it & looked up that it's essentially for the in dash light and others simply cut it off. So we cut it off and absolutely no issues, so far.

Indefatigable

Before you pull your old carrier out, check the distance to the cross shaft from each bearing. And compare it with the Rubi locker.

The Rubi rear (and Nissan clone for that matter) centre differently than a traditional open or posi unit. This may also be the case for the front. Thus your current axle shafts may not fit. Be it too long or too short. Usually it is just one side.

Just something else to check before you get too far into the tear down.

Brewman

Rubicon front axles come with 30 spline and the rears come with 32. A Sport/Sahara/X rear dana 44 comes with 30 spline shafts that are the same length. I have not tried running a front Rubi e-locker in the rear before but, I suppose in theory, it could work with factory 30 spline shafts assuming the carrier bearings are the same and you can get the sensor installed. The Rubicon diffs are proprietary and if anything, this will be your biggest hang-up.

Eddie is right, the carrier bearings are different and will not fit a non Rubicon housing. The shafts will be wrong too as the carrier has an offset center pin. I am sure you can put this on ebay and at least get your money back. You could probably even "part it out" since there are no replacement parts available and make your cash back plus make a bunch of people happy.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Eddie is right, the carrier bearings are different and will not fit a non Rubicon housing. The shafts will be wrong too as the carrier has an offset center pin. I am sure you can put this on ebay and at least get your money back. You could probably even "part it out" since there are no replacement parts available and make your cash back plus make a bunch of people happy.

Well if that's the case does anyone need any parts or the locker? Comes with 4:10s yoke and everything. $500

Top Bottom