Uconnect Activation for 2008 JKU Sahara with RER (730) headunit MyGig

TeamFaust

I have a 2008 JKU Sahara with the RER factory navigation head unit (as I understand it this is the 730N). It has the Voice Command & UConnect buttons on the right side of the unit and I want to it set up & activate for bluetooth connection for my phone (iPhone 5). Bouncing around the internet and found a few articles/references/etc. so thought I had it figured out -- that I just needed to get harness and mic kit (Part# 82211743AB) from Mopar, plug it in and access the Engineering Mode on the system to activate and viola, hands free in my Jeep.

I got the kit, pulled the head unit, plugged in the harness, ran the mic and connected it to the harness, pushed the "secret" button combo to access the Engineering Mode and found no "Enable JK VR/HFM" option on the menu list ...UGH!!!! :banghead:

I'm thinking it is an option to add/update to the system, let me guess -- I need to go to the dealership and pay them to "hook it up to the computer" to flash it to add the feature to my VIN and then update for the feature(s)? :dont_know:

Anyone done/gone through this drill already? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything specific to this issue (I think I read that Sharkey said he was able to just ad the mic harness kit and it all then worked).

So here are questions:
1) Anything else related to identifying if my head unit is in fact able to operate the features represented by the buttons on the front of the unit (is there a module or something other than the mic harness/mic that needs to be added)?

2) If unit is good to go with the mic kit added, how do I update system to be able to activate (and how do I activate) the feature(s)?

3) Do I need to go to the dealer to have them do a programing update (is there a safe way to update unit firmware w/o going to the dealership)?

Any help on this would be appreciated. I know that Chrysler in their infinite wisdom decided that a bluetooth phone in the Wranglers was initially just not a good idea so they didn't include, but since it is supposedly in there already I'd like to "turn it on".

Last edited:

TeamFaust

This is the Mopar Mic and Mic Harness Kit = Part# 82211743AB
Mopar part 82211743AB mic and harness kit small.jpg

What I understood I should see in Engineering Mode list to activate ("enable JK VR/HFM"):
RER Engineering screen with enable 2.jpg

What I have on my Engineering Mode list:
RER Engineering screen without enable small.jpg

Last edited:

TeamFaust

Went into local dealership and good news is that they were happy to help. Unfortunately they determined that in fact I do need to add the "module" kit for voice recognition/bluetooth connection runs about $340. Crud! so much for an easy set up. will need to rethink now. May be looking at the lock-pick set-up as an option.

pastorwug

I've got a Uconnect module box I took out of my Jeep just the other day, I'll take a picture of it and if you need it we can make a deal WAY under your quote. :thumb:

TeamFaust

I've got a Uconnect module box I took out of my Jeep just the other day, I'll take a picture of it and if you need it we can make a deal WAY under your quote. :thumb:

Send me a pic and a part number. Why did you pull it, switched to something else?

pastorwug

If this is the unit you need let me know, we can make a deal.
I was planning on putting it on Ebay or on the For Sale thread here.

TeamFaust

If this is the unit you need let me know, we can make a deal.
I was planning on putting it on Ebay or on the For Sale thread here.

Thanks. It looks different than the set up the dealer showed me (a number of wires/harnesses in addition to the unit). I'll check on a part number. Although I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend any additional $$$ might go with LockPick or similar to get additional features. What did you install and why?

pastorwug

I bought a 730N with built in Uconnect from a fellow Jeeper here on WOL.
I went to OEM Auto Parts Co. and they sold me a Lockpick and a microphone harness.
Plug and Play.
I now have also installed a rear camera because I can't see out of my rear window because of my spare tire carrier.

You might try speaking with OEM Co., they deal in Chrysler Audio units and the harnesses that can be very specialized in some cases.
Their current special is the Lockpick V5.0 for just $250.

Hope that all helps.

BTW - I'll send you this Uconnect module for just the price of shipping - probably about $6

TeamFaust

Yah, as I understood it my RER is the 730N with the integrated uconnect but apparently not. I'd actually like to go whit the Lock-pick but just learned that I have a bad front driveshaft so that goes to the top of the list. If this unit will get my Bluetooth going with the RER I'm in until I can upgrade later. I'll PM you thanks.

2044Tim

Yah, as I understood it my RER is the 730N with the integrated uconnect but apparently not. I'd actually like to go whit the Lock-pick but just learned that I have a bad front driveshaft so that goes to the top of the list. If this unit will get my Bluetooth going with the RER I'm in until I can upgrade later. I'll PM you thanks.

Hey, I"m new to the site but have been researching my 430N RER for the past few weeks and was able to buy the mopar mic kit and install in 20 mins!! really easy to do then i figured like you i can go into engineering mode and enable VR setting , No such luck that option dsnty exist. so yesterday i took my Jeep to a local dealership , ( waste of 200$) I asked them to load the newest version of the soft ware and Flash my Head Unit. I pick up my Jeep hours later only for them to tell me that " my unit is up today and they it still won't work. I reluctantly paid the guy and went home to do more research.... i came across a site where you can upload the newest Grace notes and Software update . if you want the link let me know. i updated this morning and went into Engineering mode after a 40 min update and in there was the new menu options to enable VR setting. i have now linked my Iphone 5S and it's working great.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My old '08 JK came with the RER navigation in it from the factory, and I added the mopar mic, and activated the hands free in the engineering menu without ever going to the dealer or buying anything besides the mic. Worked great. You should not need the connect module with a 730 RER/RHR unit. Your dealer sounds confused.

Top Bottom