ESC, ESP, and ABS all at once

loscann48

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I searched and didn't find anything on this forum. Did find info on other sites, but haven't found a solution. Driving down the road today and, for what seems like no reason, all 3 lights came on. Tried the wheel dance to reset clock spring...no change. Checked fuses and no changes as well. I had to use 4wd to get out of a driveway and forgot it on for 12 miles, but never went over 50 mph, could that have caused something. Also have been experiencing a wobble at 60 MPH for the last 2 weeks....entering a death wobble at one point....maybe a connection there? 1391550587495.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QRS

First, did you do any kind of maintenance or mods to the Jeep?

The first time I had ESC was when I lifted the jeep and drove around with the steering wheel off-centered.
Once it was centered it never came up again.

A few weeks ago I had to remove the battery to start another car with a dead battery, I accidentally disconnected a hose under the hood, can't remember what was it (can check for you later) so I had ETC and ESC lights on. I just plugged the hose back in and problem solved.

Also, it may be your PCV valve, speed sensor, damaged brake line... :thinking:

For DW check this link:
http://wayalife.com/content.php?124...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

JKWrang

Sounds stupid but...

Did you or anyone hit anything (like a curb shot or took a speed bump too hard?). After the wreck, the damage that looked cosmetic only actually set off EVERY light like you have and the ESP acted up hard core. Turns out I had a bent axle shaft so it was towed to the shop.

Point is what seems like an inconsequential impact might have knocked something out of whack.

loscann48

Hit a pot hole hard 3 months ago....but nothing recent. I was just driving a normal commute...actually driving slower because of weather....but no impacts that I can think of.

As for maintenance/ mods, I did an oil change 2 days ago, and I also swapped factory Moabs from silver to mineral gray ones a month ago. I was going to put my lift in last week and loosened the some things on the front passengers side, but tightened things back up when I realized I was going to have time. Never removed anything and didn't install lift. Maybe something's still loose? I'll have to go check when snow melts!

Last edited:

loscann48

Oh...and I tried a "master reset" by disconnecting the battery for a while, and no change.

Devallee

I know when the abs and esp/BAS lights come on it could be a bad wheel speed sensor. I'm not sure if the ESC light is a part of that since I've had mine disabled for like 5 years now so that light is always on my dash. But I had a bad wheel speed sensor when I had those same lights on my dash. If you have a scan tool or can get your hands on one it could be that. If you tinker around and still can't get the lights to go off I'd try that

bmarshal

When mine did that it was a bad speed sensor... i believe the manual says it could be a sensor, clock spring or misaligned steering wheel..

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Texasjeepster

That happened to me and it was a super easy fix so right above the brake pedal is a little plastic plug that the pedal pushes in when you apply the brakes well mine was loose all I had to do was plug it back in and it was all back to normal if you would like I can take a pic if the part I am talking about if it helps u any

txjeeplover

When mine did that it was a bad speed sensor... i believe the manual says it could be a sensor, clock spring or misaligned steering wheel..

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree 100%. Considering you have the ABS MIL illuminated along with the other two, I strongly believe that it's the clockspring or a bad wheel sensor. The ABS will continue to function as normal and not illuminate the ABS MIL if the steering wheel is off center.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I agree 100%. Considering you have the ABS MIL illuminated along with the other two, I strongly believe that it's the clockspring or a bad wheel sensor. The ABS will continue to function as normal and not illuminate the ABS MIL if the steering wheel is off center.

Yep, it's the clock spring

JK's JK

Banned
I had the exact same problem as your experiencing. Found it was the ABS wire going down the the front brakes grounded out to the axle shafts while spinning. Some how the wire got loose enough to get in the way of the axle shaft u-joint connection, stripping away the rubber coating and grounding out. Tightened up the cable and put some electrical tape on the wire and all is good. I'd check that wire.

I'll post the link in a second of the thread about my issue.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9674-Tranction-Control-and-ABS

Last edited:

loscann48

Interesting...well I haven't had much time to check out the suggestions because if the weather, but I was just out driving in the snow. Even though the dash light for the ESC is on saying its malfunctioning or off...the system is still active and I still need to manually shit it off when driving.

loscann48

Wow, apparently you don't need a fancy code reader to read the trouble codes on the JK's while doing more research I found this:

how to check the codes...
1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the*ignition*cylinder*and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight (and fairly quickly) making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your*dash lights*will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your*Jeep JK Wranglerhas any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list to find out what they mean.
3. If your*Jeep*JK*Wrangler*has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

When I did that I received the code U1417, guess I know where to start.

U1417 - Implausible Left Wheel Distance Signal Received

Last edited:

loscann48

I have been waiting to change my sensors because I installed a lift and wanted to get an alignment done first. Unfortunately, the adjustment on my tie rod is so damn rusted I can't get my alignment done. So yesterday I went to the local auto parts store and had them order me a wheel sensor. I then left the shop and when I started my Jeep, and the dash lights were gone! It has been 24 hours now and I have started and stopped the engine numerous times and have driven about 100 miles, at various speeds up to 75 mph and even did a short, light wheeling. Figures! Well I guess that was an easy fix! See what happens, but I think I will hold onto the sensor. :what: Yep, and just hooked it up to the code reader...the codes are now all clear as well....not sure what it was, but after almost a month it just disappeared.

Last edited:

loscann48

Even though my sensor has been mostly working now for the past 4 days I decided to replace the sensor anyway. When I pulled the sensor it was caked with salt from the liquid salt brine deicer crap they use here in the Northeast. It has been a huge issue and people are saying its causing problems with their veichles....I'd say so. Almost caused me to get into an accident, when when dash lit up and car thought wheels were slipping and cut power as I was driving 70 mph on a congested highway. If you live in those conditions please pull and check your wheel sensors. I replaced mine because I had it, but after scraping the salt scales off it, it seems to work fine. The below pics are of the "cleanest" sensor prior to wiping off the salt deposits.

Attachments

• 1394227496751.jpg
    1394227496751.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 1394227510919.jpg
    1394227510919.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

jeepdriver

Me Too... ESP BAS ABS lights all on

I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK, 108K miles, I have been getting the BAS ESP ABS lights stay on steadily for a year now. I would love to hear any more ideas/solutions people have to the U1417 codes - "implausible left wheel distance signal". Here's what has been done thus far:

1. Chrysler mechanics analyze, scan and have my jeep for a week... call the 'expert' at Chrysler and still no answers, they completely wire directly from the left rear abs sensor to the computer. Had the lights off for a day, then they came back on.
2. Replaced both rear abs sensors, checked for cracked wires(no cracks)
3. Replaced driver side front wheel hub and sensor
4. Replaced clock spring
5. After every attempt to apply the fixes, the codes where reset using Superchips FLASHPAQ 3872

Any suggestions/solutions appreciated?

Brankz

That happen to me yesterday, I had the abs light on too
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405647804.478537.jpg
Speed sensor cable got rip off fix it for 10 bucks, we'll my buddy did it he got the part for 11.99 from we're I work and he fix it free cause he owns me money

CRAZYCASEY

Speed sensor is bad or the wire or connection to it is bad. I had a tiny slice in one of the wires that I hunted for 3 different times before I found it. Also make sure that all of the wire connections are soldered not using crimp connectors of any kind. If the dealership fixed it and the lights stayed out for a day and came back on I would bet they used a crimp connector of some type on the wire and that is the culprit.

jeepdriver

u1417 ESP ABS BAS Lights on Jeep JK 2009

What's odd is that I can not get the lights to turn off ever... even after disconnecting the battery. I'm thinking my computer is f'd. Where can I get a new one?

Brankz

What's odd is that I can not get the lights to turn off ever... even after disconnecting the battery. I'm thinking my computer is f'd. Where can I get a new one?

If you don't fix the problem, the light will stay on!!

You don't need a new ECU

Top Bottom