LOD rear bumper !!

tkkim

I'm about to buy LOD new 4 th generation rear bumper w/ tire carrier.

so full width and shorty doesn't have any price different. which one do you recommend? shorty is lighter? or full width?

spinuck

I have the shorty and like it. I still occasionally drag the bottom corners on rocks coming off ledges and such. I'm on 35s which has some impact on it. It'd be nice if it went up at more of an angle to avoid that.

1BAMFR

20131130_142503_zps0dc97e0d.jpg
20131130_142451_zpsc5998ba5.jpg

mrmike

If your going trimmed fenders then short seems to look a lot cleaner IMO. I have a 4th gen. The only issue I had was that the installation instructions for this model was not done yet when I put it on. Took some guess work.

image-2012019523.jpg

suicideking

If your going trimmed fenders then short seems to look a lot cleaner IMO. I have a 4th gen. The only issue I had was that the installation instructions for this model was not done yet when I put it on. Took some guess work.

View attachment 67696

Agree with this -- if you plan on flat fenders, then the shorty will look better. Plus, if you're wheeling it, the full width would get in the way more. A guy I wheel with has the PS full width and he's having the ends of it hacked off.

mrmike

Yep, sorry. I just quoted your post with the pictures.

This pic was right after the install. I ran the TF before. Once the new bumper was on I took off and sold the other carrier. I used the TF with the stock carrier assembly. The 35 Toyo was rock solid on that thing. There is way more movement now with the LOD than I had before. But I want to carry a jack, co2 and gas can. That wasn't going to happen on the TF carrier.

bl17z90

Does the entire carrier shake? I think due to the nature of the way these carriers work a little shake in the carrier itself isn't terrible but it shouldn't bounce too much.

mrmike

Does the entire carrier shake? I think due to the nature of the way these carriers work a little shake in the carrier itself isn't terrible but it shouldn't bounce too much.

It's hard to say. From inside I see the tire seem to jiggle. I need someone to be behind me and ck what's moving. Like you commented, inherently the carrier will have some movement. Vertical movement is primary controlled by the pivot pin. The latch, even set really tight, can't completely control the driver side from going up and down.

I have the tire nice and tight up against the carrier. But I wonder if some of the movement is in that angle iron that holds the tire to the carrier. I'll probably beef that up and see if that helps.

JAGS

Hooked
^^^ 10Frank9 has a version of this carrier and recently did some trimming to stop the tire jiggle. Maybe he'll post up what he did. I recall him saying it fixed the issue, but not sure which thread it was in.

gsmoak

Here are some pics of the Gen IV I just installed. Looks pretty much like what came before, just lighter. I went with the shorty as it is a better match for the flat flares. I chose the free swinging carrier rather than door linked to reduce stress on the tailgate latch and so I could add more rotopax, etc. DSC_1604.jpg DSC_1615.jpg DSC_1620.jpg DSC_1626.jpg

rdreng

I just installed my LOD bumper and noticed a small amount of movement in the tire too. With the factory mount I saw no movement. I'm wondering if it is because the tire, now mounted on the LOD carrier, essentially moves with the frame of the vehicle, while the body (which is rubber isolated to the frame) can move a little bit independently of the frame. Possibly we are noticing the tire move relative to the body but in reality it is solid relative to the frame. Just a thought,,,

gsmoak - Can you get your back window to open with the Hi-Lift jack installed in the position that you have it mounted? I had to flip the Hi-Lift jack around so the base of the jack was next to the tailgate handle. Maybe I messed something up when I had the jack installed like you have it (the window would just hit the jack base).

10frank9

Web Wheeler
^^^ 10Frank9 has a version of this carrier and recently did some trimming to stop the tire jiggle. Maybe he'll post up what he did. I recall him saying it fixed the issue, but not sure which thread it was in.

The jiggle I saw was due to the backspacing of the ATX Slab not allowing the tire to snug up to the carrier. That problem is fixed now. Nothing a sawzall, grinder and some touch up paint couldn't fix. :thumb:

Here's the link to my post:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=245936#post245936

Top Bottom