Jeep XJ help

So I'm looking to buy a cheap XJ for daily driving and to beat on delivering pizza (I'm 18 years old and will be starting college next year). I'm wanting to get an XJ because I like the looks of them, it will be a good plan B rig and I don't want to ruin my 2012 jku with tons of unenjoyable miles. I'm curious as to what year to look for, how they do on gas mileage with no bigger than 33's, what options should I look for and how long these jeeps last. (Most I've found have 130k+ miles) My budget is right around $4000.

Thanks,
Sean

JKbrick

So I'm looking to buy a cheap XJ for daily driving and to beat on delivering pizza (I'm 18 years old and will be starting college next year). I'm wanting to get an XJ because I like the looks of them, it will be a good plan B rig and I don't want to ruin my 2012 jku with tons of unenjoyable miles. I'm curious as to what year to look for, how they do on gas mileage with no bigger than 33's, what options should I look for and how long these jeeps last. (Most I've found have 130k+ miles) My budget is right around $4000.

Thanks,
Sean

A buddy of mine doesn't buy them with under 100k miles, he has had them with up to 300k on them. Around here rust is what kills them. Seems like he usually spends under $2,000

A buddy of mine doesn't buy them with under 100k miles, he has had them with up to 300k on them. Around here rust is what kills them. Seems like he usually spends under $2,000

Fortunately, living in Southern California, rust is not an issue. I found an xj on craigslist with 130k miles on it with 33's for $2800 but I'm sure that price can be talked down. Is the 4.0 the only engine made in the xj?

pvanweelden

97 and 98 are the years most people around here go for, nothing wrong with 95-96 except they usually have more floor board rust to watch out for. After 99, there were some issues with coil packs, and they started putting Low Pinion Dana 30's in the front and Dana 35's in the rear, instead of the HP30 and 8.25.
97 is when the newer body style started (grill and rear taillights)

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Fortunately, living in Southern California, rust is not an issue. I found an xj on craigslist with 130k miles on it with 33's for $2800 but I'm sure that price can be talked down. Is the 4.0 the only engine made in the xj?

I'm not an expert but I think some older ones had a variation of it, maybe 4.2 or something. I've heard him talk about different types of fuel injection (bendix or ?) and I do know he has had some autos and some sticks

I'm not an expert but I think some older ones had a variation of it, maybe 4.2 or something. I've heard him talk about different types of fuel injection (bendix or ?) and I do know he has had some autos and some sticks

Alright, thanks for the info, I'll look into it a bit more

97 and 98 are the years most people around here go for, nothing wrong with 95-96 except they usually have more floor board rust to watch out for. After 99, there were some issues with coil packs, and they started putting Low Pinion Dana 30's in the front and Dana 35's in the rear, instead of the HP30 and 8.25.
97 is when the newer body style started (grill and rear taillights)

Ok, thank you for the info!

pvanweelden

It was the 4.0 or an occassional 4 cylinder on late 80's models. The 4.2 was in early yj's. The 4.0 is a great motor, 130k is low miles if it was maintained, as mentioned above 300k is common mileage for the 4.0

It was the 4.0 or an occassional 4 cylinder on late 80's models. The 4.2 was in early yj's. The 4.0 is a great motor, 130k is low miles if it was maintained, as mentioned above 300k is common mileage for the 4.0

Yea, most I've been looking at are the 4.0 auto, 4wd of course. So it'll be fairly reliable as long as it was maintained properly. Any options to look for (gearing, etc...)

pvanweelden

Automatics will be geared 3.55, manuals are rare, just as 2 doors are rare. Sport is the common model, had power windows/doors. Country was a level up with overhead console, temperature, etc, but had really ugly outside trim panels at the bottom that thankfully are easy to remove :thumbup:

Automatics will be geared 3.55, manuals are rare, just as 2 doors are rare. Sport is the common model, had power windows/doors. Country was a level up with overhead console, temperature, etc, but had really ugly outside trim panels at the bottom that thankfully are easy to remove :thumbup:

Cool, thank you for the great info!

pvanweelden

^ welcome! Good luck! Xj's are awesome jeeps and would be a great dd, but more importantly they can also make great wheeling rigs, wheelbase is awesome!

pvanweelden

i would go look at the orange county white one- the 95, price seems reasonable depending on what "minor" repairs need to be done. Maybe negotiate that repairs be made before if you give him asking price?

The camo seat covers on the 91 would have to go, but it looks very clean for a 91, but price is too high.

David1tontj

I like the white one... I think I'll call him up! Haha jk

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

i would go look at the orange county white one- the 95, price seems reasonable depending on what "minor" repairs need to be done. Maybe negotiate that repairs be made before if you give him asking price?

The camo seat covers on the 91 would have to go, but it looks very clean for a 91, but price is too high.

Will do. I requested more photos on the 95 and asked what the "minor repairs" are that need to be done. I think the 91 can be talked down in price being that it is more personalized with the interior. Plus it looks like there are two different HID lights mounted to the front bumper which would make me crazy. We'll have to see what they have to say!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i amno help since i am on the east coast and dont know anything about xj's but i wanted to say good luck with your search! let us know when you get one and post pics of it!

i amno help since i am on the east coast and dont know anything about xj's but i wanted to say good luck with your search! let us know when you get one and post pics of it!

Haha thanks for your honesty and wishing me luck! I certainly will post up some pictures when/if I get one!

1yellowjk

I picked up my first XJ last month after owning 2 JK's and a YJ. I have been reading my little butt off and spending hours under mine looking at what is good and what is bad.

I have a 99 with the 30 front and 8.25 rear w/145K on the odometer, here are the things I have found...

1. Rear main seal and oil pan gasket leak on most "high" milage (easy fix)
2. You'll need about 4"-5" of lift to properly clear 33s and not rub (if you don't do any cutting or modding the fender wells)
3. Frame stiffeners are a cheap and great mod if you wheel. (if you can weld too)
4. Drum brakes on rear suck.
5. The salvage yard is your friend (s-10 leafs, liberty rear disc's, ford 8.8, multiple "junk" yard upgrades)

I like the piece of mind of wheeling an older vehicle, I could'nt afford to total my $30K JK and have the insurance tell me to F' off, wheeling something that you can afford to mess up is way more fun IMO, and unless you have mutiple companies throwing money and parts or have a very deep pocket, the XJ is a very capable rig to play with.

Of course these are all my opinions, a great resource is NAXJA.org....more info than you would ever want.

Top Bottom