Motor options

JKU EXTREME

I just want to know who has an aftermarket engine and trans on their JK. Not really in the market, just curious because I know one day I will be shopping around.
If you could put what aftermarket engine you have and what vehicle you got it out of, that would be most appreciated.
Thanks
-John

HDGasser

Code:
The only two I have seen have been either the Hemi or LS swap for motors.

There's a guy on JKOwners that's currently doing a 4.0 swap. Kinda weird cause he's pulling a CRD out and putting on old shit.

There's no replacement for displacement!

agreed and the only 4 people on the forum i have seen with them are Moby (LS), Moochie (LS), Mel (Hemi), and HDgasser (hemi)

Really only 4??

Last edited:

FrankenJeeper

I saw an article in a magazine recently where a guy was running a ramjet 350 in his JK and had eliminated all of the stock electronics. He installed a flat steel dash and it looked similar to the interior of an old CJ. It was a cool setup, but my JK being my daily driver I wouldn't do it. The LS swaps and Hemi swaps that retain all of the newer electronics seem much more desirable.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I believe a few companies/people have stuck in the 4BT diesel in a JK as well. I guess money is the main thing....Im sure you can stuff a supra motor in a JK if you don't mind spending the dough.

HDGasser

I believe a few companies/people have stuck in the 4BT diesel in a JK as well. I guess money is the main thing....Im sure you can stuff a supra motor in a JK if you don't mind spending the dough.

Ohh yeah forgot about that white one... Rattle Trap. Bad ASS!!

Devallee

I've actually read an article where a guy did a 2JZ (supra engine) swap and the thing was a beast. I believe it was in a TJ or something tho not a JK. But I agree, with enough money you have plenty of options. For a daily driver, hemi or LS are your best options

JKU EXTREME

I've actually read an article where a guy did a 2JZ (supra engine) swap and the thing was a beast. I believe it was in a TJ or something tho not a JK. But I agree, with enough money you have plenty of options. For a daily driver, hemi or LS are your best options

If I got an LS I'm trying to figure out how to get more torque, like out of a 5.4 or 6.0L. I want around 420hp and more or less 500lb-torq.

Camomal

Me personally, if I'm doing an engine swap on a dd, is go for the 4bt. I love the hard core diesel sound and is better fuel economy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

HDGasser

If I got an LS I'm trying to figure out how to get more torque, like out of a 5.4 or 6.0L. I want around 420hp and more or less 500lb-torq.

A stock 5.3ls is enough power to break things. Having more is by all means fun but it comes at a price... Eventually.

Sounds like a 6.2 LS or a 6.4 hemi is in your future.

Last edited:

Devallee

I agree ^ a stock LS has plenty of power to do the job. More HP= more flowing testosterone= overconfidence= breaking things. At least that's how it would work for me :cheesy: personally I'm gonna wait til the stock 3.8 dies on me (or until I can afford a swap. Whichever comes first) then throw a 6.4 hemi in. From what I've seen/heard/researched, the hemi seems to mate with the electrical components of the JK a little easier than an LS which is appealing to me seeing it's my DD. I'd love an LS but still needa do a little more research to help sway me in that direction over a hemi

suicideking

I talked to a guy that did a Hemi swap, said he's had lots of problems with over heating and weight issues. I wouldn't consider an engine swap, but it's no where close to my budget anyway. If I want a V8, I'll get a Chevy Silverado or an F150.. Probably getting one to be my DD as soon as the Jeep is paid off.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I talked to a guy that did a Hemi swap, said he's had lots of problems with over heating and weight issues. I wouldn't consider an engine swap, but it's no where close to my budget anyway. If I want a V8, I'll get a Chevy Silverado or an F150.. Probably getting one to be my DD as soon as the Jeep is paid off.

I think I'll wait until there's a reliably supercharger on the market for the 3.6. I definitely don't see a reason to swap out the 3.6 for a V8 anyway. Just heard of people having issues with the RIPP, could be wrong though.

bo9roadking

I think I'll wait until there's a reliably supercharger on the market for the 3.6. I definitely don't see a reason to swap out the 3.6 for a V8 anyway. Just heard of people having issues with the RIPP, could be wrong though.

Magnuson now has their supercharger out for the 3.6. There are a few people starting to post on their installation of it, but I'm waiting for more feedback on reliability and how good the tune is before I make a final decision. From the Dyno charts that I've seen, the Magnuson supercharger on the 3.6 with 6 lbs of boost provides about the same torque as the gen V direct injected 5.3 EcoTec3 motor, but with more hp.

I was leaning towards an LS swap, but I don't know if I want to go through the headaches that Moby had. I can't drive from Texas to Las Vegas if I have a problem with it. Now that my wife has her own Jeep, my V8 swap budget was drained for her Jeep mods. The supercharger is looking like the more reasonable and affordable option for me now.

Last edited:

xflstl

I love the Hemi swap that I had done. I had issues with the shop that did it but that wasnt actually related to the engine swap itself. If I had to rate how well the engine has preformed over the last 9 months since I got it back I would say a 9 on a 10 scale.
The $ involved is the only reason its not a 10. The power is insane I got the 6.4 hemi with just over 500 HP. I realize now its way overkill ( but I wouldnt change it if I could).

0 overheating issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Top Bottom