Recall for transmission cooler line and.....oh #@$!!!

into_the_void

I received a recall notice for an auto trans oil cooler line problem and took it to the local dealership yesterday to get it fixed. Unfortunately, they didn't have the part they needed and had to order it. Well, this morning my power steering went out while taking my son to school! :eek: Just dropped it off again at the dealership to have it checked out. After doing a little searching online, i found the below info. Im thinking this has to be related. Funny thing is, the recall didn't mention anything about the possibility of losing power steering. I had a hell of a time trying to get my 37's to turn at all. Now the waiting game and hoping the dealer doesn't say my oversized tires caused the power steering to fail prematurely. It wouldn't surprise me though. I will check back in when i get their response.

2012-2013 Jeep Wrangler Recalled For Transmission Problem
The NHTSA bulletin and documentation from Chrysler (PDF) describe the problem as a condition where the power steering return line contacts and wears a hole in the aluminum transmission oil cooler line. Such a condition can result in a loss of transmission fluid, which may cause transmission damage and loss of function.

Chrysler discovered the problem in August 2012 in a durability vehicle that exhibited a complete loss of transmission fluid at cycle 248 out of 250. It was determined that the power steering return line being in hard contact with the transmission oil cooler line was responsible for the transmission fluid loss.

The power steering return line was redesigned and a heat sleeve was also added to the transmission oil cooler line.

The automaker said it had received 81 reports of problems, including two field reports, but is not aware of any accidents, injuries, fires or property damage potentially related to this issue.

Panda

I had the same recall when I called my stealership they said they had the part & would install it right away unfortunately I had to take it on a Saturday cause of my busy work schedule & after having my jeep all day they called & said they can't do the repair the same day & that I was required to have it pre inspected & that my jeep was only in for inspection & I had to bring it back another day for the repair so I missed the high lakes trail run that Saturday for nothing :( yes I was pissed...

Sent from bad apples...

into_the_void

I had the same recall when I called my stealership they said they had the part & would install it right away unfortunately I had to take it on a Saturday cause of my busy work schedule & after having my jeep all day they called & said they can't do the repair the same day & that I was required to have it pre inspected & that my jeep was only in for inspection & I had to bring it back another day for the repair so I missed the high lakes trail run that Saturday for nothing :( yes I was pissed...

Sent from bad apples...

Damn that sucks. I actually called my local dealership in advance before bringing it in for the recall. They told me it would only take a few hours to fix and to go ahead and bring it in. The jeep sat there all day and then the service guy calls me and says "Well, we don't have the part needed to fix your vehicle Sir. I will order it, but can't give you an ETA at this time". Why would you tell me to bring it in dumb ass?!! I don't have much confidence in them for the power steering issue either, but it was the closest dealership and i didn't want to tow it somewhere. Oh, how i love the stealerships! LOL

Panda

Damn that sucks. I actually called my local dealership in advance before bringing it in for the recall. They told me it would only take a few hours to fix and to go ahead and bring it in. The jeep sat there all day and then the service guy calls me and says "Well, we don't have the part needed to fix your vehicle Sir. I will order it, but can't give you an ETA at this time". Why would you tell me to bring it in dumb ass?!! I don't have much confidence in them for the power steering issue either, but it was the closest dealership and i didn't want to tow it somewhere. Oh, how i love the stealerships! LOL

I hope they fix your jeep keep us posted how it goes

Sent from bad apples...

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Somewhere on this forum (tried to find it but couldn't) is a simple temporary fix involving 3/8 oil line and a couple of zip ties. I've been waiting for the call to come get her fixed but every time I go to the dealership they tell me I have a recall but there are no parts. Broken record. The temp fix seems to be working fine. I'll keep looking for the thread. Good luck!

MNTN JK

I put on a 1in body lift with my 2in suspension and not only did I get more clearance for my 35's but it gave me more space so my lines are fine now just saying that's a simple fix cause I was told they are back ordered on the parts to fix that recall....

into_the_void

Well, looks like the dealership is going to replace the power steering pump without any fuss. Said the pump should be installed tomorrow! They couldn't give any explanation why it would've gone out that quickly (only 12k miles on the jeep), and they couldn't say if it was related to the recall but hey...all covered under warranty!!!

eeftw

They told me there was no recall for my VIN #, but I got one from chrysler. There is one for my wife's 4 door, but they said the part wouldn't be in until later 2014. I think they just didn't wnat to mess with us... :naw:

Lumber

Just got mine done yesterday. Parts manager told me they were allowed to order 1 set of recall parts every 14 days. I would think they would want to get this stuff fixed before there are major lawsuits.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Knuckles is in the shop for another issue. I asked if they could do this at the same time. The guy said they still haven't received the parts for the recall.

Talked to dealership about 2 months ago to get recall fixed. They said ill order part for you. Yesterday I call and say its been 2 months whats going on. They told me we only get 2 new parts a month and your 4th on the list so it will be 2 more months. They the hell is up with them only getting to fix 2 jeeps a month. Thats bullshit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I guess I was lucky. I got the recall notice for my 13' 2 door, took it to the dealership in the morning and had it back by 1 in the afternoon.

Top Bottom