auto tranny slippage, 2002 TJ only 23000 miles.

Michael

thanks for the input jeepers. i got the tranny problem fixed. it was the "Chip" that went hay wacky with the tranny shift sequences.
mazing how much more power and fuel economy i recieved by disconecting the damn thing.

Last edited:
You might need to have your transmission serviced. I would also check to see the fluid level. Since it happens when you are at a 45* angle it sounds to me like a fluid level issue.

I had an issue with my Dodge that was similar but it was a bad solenoid but the transmission had almost 100k miles on it.

R/
Will

David1tontj

You might need to have your transmission serviced. I would also check to see the fluid level. Since it happens when you are at a 45* angle it sounds to me like a fluid level issue.

I had an issue with my Dodge that was similar but it was a bad solenoid but the transmission had almost 100k miles on it.

R/
Will

He did say he just had it changed. Maybe they didn't get enough back into it?

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Michael

yellow jeep tj with tranny problemss

i have a 2002 TJ with the auto tranny. it slips between 2nd and 3rd gears, only when cold or when i am on a 45 deg, clime (off road crawling),
it acts like i push the clutch in, but there is no clutch. after its warmed up its ok.
took it to a dealer they think it needs a overhaul. was wondering if anyone had this type of issues. it only has around 23000 miles on it.
i do have a Altus 3.8 transfer case 4:11 gears running 33's 5.5 rubicon express lift. would like some input before i do any work on it. i did have the fluid changed on it, so its new and full.

well i had the tranny rebuilt. now its worse. did some minor wheeling at a place called Little Moab by the west side of Utah lake.
it was working ok until i went up a hill. it sliped and gave out. needless to say the poor little yellow rolled on its side then with its feet up in the air. me not wearing my seat belt (stupid) came out ok. no hurts or bruses. just an ass cheweing from the wife. do so the safety items installed on the TJ all that got damaged was the left corner of the windsheld frame, the paint being scrached on the passager door, and the hard top being crused where the windsheild frame got smashed and the passager rear corner. getting new parts and getting ready for the Moab Jeep safari. ohter then the butt that i no longer have, it should be a go.
now what to do with the tranny. found out that the "Chip" that was installed did some auto tranny adjustment of its own. i got ride of that and the tranny seems to shift with no problems. Yea!!!. of course it had to cost me a left nut and my right leg to pay for the tranny overhaul. at least they found some burned clutches and now has all new parts.
Jeepers rule.

Woody3

God was watching out for you on that one. Glad your ok and you found the problem.

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Top Bottom