spod owners, worth money?

pvanweelden

If you have ever hooked up a car stereo, you could do the diy spod and save yourself over $200. You can have the same switch location, but you have to cut a hole in the windshield trim. If you have an automatic, you can just use the daystar switch panel in front of the shifter.
1391801796727.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

into_the_void

Mine was just delivered 2 days ago. Im gonna install it this weekend. Ill check back in after its all done. Im gonna be installing on board air soon as well and i liked their ARB harness.

JKWrang

Simply for the convenience of having your switches elevated as opposed to down in front of the shifter, I'd say yes!

We run a panel in our vehicles at work that has relays for all of our emergency lights in front of the shifter and it gets in the way, it's inconvenient and it is such a pain to service. Honestly if I could convince the owners to use SPOD type panels in our vehicles I would. Seriously, I hate the panels we use. Go Spod.:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have ever hooked up a car stereo, you could do the diy spod and save yourself over $200. You can have the same switch location, but you have to cut a hole in the windshield trim. If you have an automatic, you can just use the daystar switch panel in front of the shifter.
View attachment 67912

This right here ^^^

Even if spod weren't run by a guy who engages in shady business practices like pretending to be a regular joe just to pimp his product (I've caught him red handed in the act), this is still a better way to go.

If his product didn't cost an arm and a leg he wouldn't need to go under cover to sell his junk,lol.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

In5ane1

This right here ^^^

Even if spod weren't run by a guy who engages in shady business practices like pretending to be a regular joe just to pimp his product (I've caught him red handed in the act), this is still a better way to go.

Id be game for this but im not electrically inclined. Ive seen some good tutorials...but most are shorthand and I need a thorough tutorial lol..

JAGS

Hooked
Id be game for this but im not electrically inclined. Ive seen some good tutorials...but most are shorthand and I need a thorough tutorial lol..

I'm with you on this. May need to enlist the help of some friends and I'm a still a little nervous tackling electrical. Hell, I've only done a bumper install solo so I'm about as green as one can get. :crazyeyes:

huggysjk

I bought my Jeep with a Spod in it already. It is nice. I hooked in a power cable for my portable air compressor to the front of jeep. Definitely easier and fast. I would do a Spod just for the fact that it is all together. No buying relays, switches, wires, fuses, board etc. have 3 sets of lights hooked up to Spod and my power wire for compressor. Still have 2 extra switches left. Like the set up a lot.

Rharvey160

Is the spod really worth the money? Looks like a clean easy install and love the button location.

I have one and like it Ok. It was a nice clean install and didn't require any real brains to hook it all up. Took a couple of hours not getting in any hurry.

Unfortunately the first time I actually needed to use it, it was not working. The circuit board in the "Source" had to be replaced. Kinda pissed me off at the time but the part was replaced under warranty.

While I do like it, I don't neccessarly trust it 100%. I check it every so often to make sure it is still working. It has worked just fine for over a year since the circuit board was replaced. I'd look at all the options out there before making any purchase.

pastorwug

I'm with you on this. May need to enlist the help of some friends and I'm a still a little nervous tackling electrical. Hell, I've only done a bumper install solo so I'm about as green as one can get. :crazyeyes:

It's not that difficult, particularly if you have the automatic tranny and want to use the Daystar panel replacement for your switches.
If you ever come up to the Central Coast I'd be glad to do the whole thing for you, with your help and your parts. :thumb:

Serg5000

I have the spod as well. If I had to do it over again, I would just build my own system. The spod system works, however it's rather pricey. And in a case like mine it did not work with my Tuffy overhead console. I ended up making my own switch pod if you will and mounted it to my Daystar dash. Here is a pic.
apy2y3u3.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
It's not that difficult, particularly if you have the automatic tranny and want to use the Daystar panel replacement for your switches.
If you ever come up to the Central Coast I'd be glad to do the whole thing for you, with your help and your parts. :thumb:

I might take you up on that one day. Thanks Pastor! 👍

- Jason

Smokinjoe

I like my SPOD and works fine yes it's $$ but is complete and now ez to add any lights or accessories very nice product and switches look factory, Yes I would do it again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'd be the first to admit that I'm a bit old school and will say that things like honesty and integrity still mean a lot to me. For this reason alone, I would never run an spod. But, that's just me.

pvanweelden

^ this, and how does a couple of $5 relays and switches add up to $455?

Jersey_Devil

I got 5 separate LED's and a pair of PIAA's, all wired separately, no spod here.

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391834062348.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391834062348.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 221
  • uploadfromtaptalk1391834078628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391834078628.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 222
  • uploadfromtaptalk1391834097589.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391834097589.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 218

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I ran the Daystar switch panel and their switches for my automatic. It fits my needs and I am happy. Very inexpensive.

Top Bottom