JKWrang's Black JKU Build Thread/ Story

JKWrang

First off, thanks to everyone who has given me their advice over the last few months while I researched, asked stupid questions and wheeled beside you. Special thanks to:

NoRoad
MrHooah
Cozdude
KP
JKMadness
Aerun
Wayoflife
Blz-idkwhatnumbersgohere
And everyone else who has chimed in to point in the right direction.

I will be posting up a little back story before I get into the actual build portion since my Jeep is in the shop and I miss her, so here goes.

I used to sit shotgun in a 2008 RHD JK Sport which drove everyone mad because I was on the wrong side. Truth be told, everyone else seemed to have it wrong while I was in that thing. Parallel parking was a breeze and driving was a lot of fun on the other side of the road so to speak. I'd get stopped none stop at red lights, cops would pull me over just to chat about it. At first it was cool and I liked the attention. Then it was REALLY annoying. :icon_crazy:

facebook_1366599493 (1).jpg

I only have this picture from when I took it up to Maine and tested the 4wd out for the first time in a civilian vehicle. This was during that hurricane that shook the Northeast but I had a Jeep and we were on vacation. I was unmoved. I ran around in that thing, slightly modded, for about 2 years. She had a dual custom made exhaust, an AFE CAI and I only barely upgraded tires, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing and the local clubs all asked for minimum 31s. I was sold on that idea. (I know.... what a n00b, right?)

Well... Meet the reason I got my 2014 JKU:

IMG_612366461396222.jpeg

This happy little guy is also the bane of my wife's existence around morning time when it's off to work/school everyone goes and she has to lug the kids into the 2 door and try to fit the car seat in back. For those of you who don't know, the RHD only has drivetrain modifications to accomodate, and of course a new dash for the steering wheel and pedals, etc. EVERYTHING else is the same to include the seats. The drivers side seat is the one that has to fold down in an RHD which made it extra inconvenient for her and we crunched numbers and finally decided enough was enough, we'd upgrade.

IMG952013092995212957.jpg

So I went to the dealership, negotiated prices and waited. I asked for a 2013 JKU with a 6spd and the tow package and around here, they couldn't find one. After some back and forth, I was slated to be the proud owner of the 2014 JKU with 6spd, premium sound and tow package and could already feel myself sitting in the proper driver's side and shifting through gears again like I had missed so much from my old truck.

Except they couldnt secure a vehicle.... so they found a black JKU 6spd with no premium sound or tow package for a lower price. SOLD! I do kind of wish I had been more resistant to the 3.21 gears, but that's not much of a deal breaker for me, especially if I would be upgrading anyways. So in late August I drove home with a brand new Jeep, grinning from ear to ear and immediately found a forum (Wayalife!) to join up. I subsequently got hooked in here and bought stickers to put on and show off.

1381437298675.jpg

So I went to work installing a new CB radio with the help of Cozdude on a few pieces and Army Vet on some advice with the equipment. I found the perfect solution for a clean install and a nice anti theft system since I live in the city - the Uniden handheld unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter on the trail, a firestik, Teraflex tailgate mount and some coax cable. I only needed 18' from tail to passenger side and that's plenty of cable for me and my JKU. I don't have any pics of the install yet, but the cable is hidden, goes through the tailgate via a rubber stopper and into the passenger side under carepting so no one can see it. It really is an easy and clean install.

IMG_4351.jpg
IMG_5471.jpg

Then I got to test drive my rig off road at Rausch Creek! On 31's and stock suspension, it did a fine job keeping up with the Rubicon JKs I was running with. Shout out to KP, ScottC and NoRoad for not babying me on my first RC trip and letting me and my JKU prove we can hang!

Fast forward a few months and...

20140112_173329.jpg

My wife was driving home and some dirtbag pulled an illegal u turn and smashed right into my brand new JKU!! :doh: Fortunately my son and my wife were not hurt, and the passengers were fine as well. I was on my way to work and came right to the scene to get everyone to safety, but the vehicle that hit my Jeep was MUCH worse off.

20140112_173335.jpg

As you can see.... it was wrecked pretty badly. Serves her right for being a moron. :thumb:

JKWrang

20140127_214123.jpg 20140129_132638.jpg

The responding police officer, my wife and the auto body shop all agreed that it would be the prefect time to lift and of course who am I to argue! Things happened rather quickly so I had to make a move on the lift and component a little sooner than some of my friends here had time to respond. I apologize if I was abrupt with anyone I dealt with, to include wayoflife, but your input was greatly appreciated and I decided to run the lift Hinrich's and Cozdude were running as well as MrHooah. Northridge4x4 talked me OUT of the Rancho lift and helped me find a great price on the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with some sweet Bilsteins. I can't wait to see these things in action!

I also had to get spider trax to run my stock wheels and I am looking for Rubi Rims to move up in the world of tires since my stock steel rims can barely handle 31s and I want to ultimately run 35s.

My goal thus far is:

2.5" TF Coil kit (DONE!)
Upgrade my control arms
Upgrade my track bar
Upgrade my wheels and tires to 35" on 17 rims (DONE - 315/75R16 Nitto MG on Level I Trackers)
A winch and front bumper w/ stinger
(If it's legal in MA) Evo D rings on back with a heavier duty tire carrier
EVO Sliders with custom angle OR LOD sliders
Lights lights lights ( Done, just waiting on the DIY SPOD to be born)
Re-gear to 4.88 and lock the rear

And that's it for my modest JKU build. Nothing too crazy. I will post up pictures of the advances along the way although it won't be nearly as fast as KP or anybody else here. I appreciate you reading this far, thanks again for all your help everyone!

20130926_184514.jpg

Last edited:

Aeraun

Looking good sir. It was great to meet you and thanks for all of your help getting my skid plate on. Sorry to hear about the accident but in glad everyone was okay. Looking forward to wheeling with you again soon :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

JKWrang

Looking good sir. It was great to meet you and thanks for all of your help getting my skid plate on. Sorry to hear about the accident but in glad everyone was okay. Looking forward to wheeling with you again soon :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

Thanks man, and anytime. I always like to help out and will offer anything I can. Maybe next time we can all wheel in the same group!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow I got name dropped twice! Cool!! :rock:

Glad I have been able to help you so far. I am always available so if you need anything feel free to shoot me a pm!

Sent from my iPhone

JKUx

Subscribed; looking forward to see your Jeep evolve along with your experiences each step:🍻

Tigrcky

imagine if you had a real bumper on that thing??? wow that other car would be shredded!!!! glad everyone is ok!

JKWrang

Thanks guys. My wife said she wants a stinger and evo sliders on my jeep stat. I think this accident may have been a good thing after all!

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Tigrcky

Thanks guys. My wife said she wants a stinger and evo sliders on my jeep stat. I think this accident may have been a good thing after all!

those would be very great mods to have! :thumb:

noroad

she wants to buy parts now lol your in man lol :rock: when we putting this lift on the jeep??

MrHooah04

Glad to see you started your own build thread man. Once that kits on we've gotta hit up Rutland state park :thumbsup:

Edit: SUBSCRIBED lol

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

This is how I sold my wife on weld on sliders and bumpers for our new Jeep. Its not about the look orthe off road function, its all about safety!

JKWrang

she wants to buy parts now lol your in man lol :rock: when we putting this lift on the jeep??

As much as I want to put the lift in, the front axle shaft was bent so they have to drop the whole front and have offered to just put the kit on while they're already there. I like doing my own wrenching but now i get to show the dealership that a professional shop put my lift in and it didn't cost me anything. I even get money back for parts on that driver side! Can't beat that with a hammer! :yup:

Glad to see you started your own build thread man. Once that kits on we've gotta hit up Rutland state park :thumbsup:

Edit: SUBSCRIBED lol

YES WE DO!!

This is how I sold my wife on weld on sliders and bumpers for our new Jeep. Its not about the look orthe off road function, its all about safety!

Thats what I try to use as my sales pitch. Function over form. Seems to be more effective. I also forget to include pricing. Those pesky details are best left for black and white bank statements. :D:thumbup::beer:

StrizzyChris

Upgrade my wheels and tires to 35" on 17 rims (16s if I have to go with aftermarket wheels)

EVO Sliders with custom angle OR LOD sliders]

I would stick with 17's you'll have the best tire selection available to you.

Love my LoD sliders, and EVO is strong as hell too. They are both frame mount which is the only way to go in my opinion (if replacing stock). LoD's are bolt on OR both can be welded to the frame for the most strength.

JKWrang

I would stick with 17's you'll have the best tire selection available to you.

Love my LoD sliders, and EVO is strong as hell too. They are both frame mount which is the only way to go in my opinion (if replacing stock). LoD's are bolt on OR both can be welded to the frame for the most strength.

I noticed tire selection on 17s is mammoth. Thats a huge plus for that tire size. And I agree, the LOD and EVO rails are my only contenders due to the frame rail and EVO only because I know guys who have asked for the custom angle and EVO delivered

bl17z90

I noticed tire selection on 17s is mammoth. Thats a huge plus for that tire size. And I agree, the LOD and EVO rails are my only contenders due to the frame rail and EVO only because I know guys who have asked for the custom angle and EVO delivered

First off goad to see a build thread. 2nd thing is the only downside to having the evo sliders custom built is that they must now be welded by hand and if the welder makes a miscalculation the mounting poj ts can be slightly off like mine were. So they took a little extra effort to get them lined up right. Other than that they are freaking solid. Not very grippy for feet though but they do the job. I'm trying to figure out a way to give my feet more traction on them.

noroad

First off goad to see a build thread. 2nd thing is the only downside to having the evo sliders custom built is that they must now be welded by hand and if the welder makes a miscalculation the mounting poj ts can be slightly off like mine were. So they took a little extra effort to get them lined up right. Other than that they are freaking solid. Not very grippy for feet though but they do the job. I'm trying to figure out a way to give my feet more traction on them.

Safety tape they use on business inside stairs (black) cut it into a 1 inch strip for the top where it doesnt get hit!

JKWrang

So here we are, over 31 days of waiting and still no Jeep.

What. The. :blech:

So im stirring the hornets nest and calling the other party's insurance company with demands because this is getting ridiculous.

Good news is the lift is going in free of charge and im getting my money back on some of the parts. Hell, even $100 back on a shock and a link would be 1/7 of the price made back. Silver linings, right?

No pics or test drives just yet. Still to come.

Top Bottom