4 Lo Shifting Issue

dangerruss

This does not happen all the time, but while in 4 Lo and attempting 3 point turn I will shift from Drive to Reverse and the automatic transmission will not engage. This even happens on level ground. Any one else experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Russ

Army_Vet

Banned
This does not happen all the time, but while in 4 Lo and attempting 3 point turn I will shift from Drive to Reverse and the automatic transmission will not engage. This even happens on level ground. Any one else experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Russ

Your drive train may be binding up. if you have decent traction at all; your tires will not slip and alleviate the bind. Try doing this again next time but switch out of 4LO

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Are you in a situation doing a 3 point turn in low? Just wondering are you in snow, mud, on a steep hill going up or down. Or just flat ground in dirt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dangerruss

It has happened going down the switchbacks on Black Bear in Telluride, CO in the summer. It also has happened in a recent trip to Rock Trails of Tolar, Texas. In Tolar I was in 4 Lo after making a 3pt turn at the bottom of hill, but on level ground, all on dry terrain..

The time on Black Bear was a little nerve racking... since I was pointed down the mountain, shifted in to reverse, let my foot off the brake, pushed the on the gas only to rev the engine and roll forward a foot or two... Yikes...
Thanks,
Russ

David1tontj

Possibly the binding is caused by your lockers? I'd try it with the lockers off because it shouldn't bind up as much. Scary stuff!! Glad you didn't go over!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tigrcky

does not sound like its engaging, i doubt its a valve body issue. you could always hold the brake with your left foot and give it a little gas to check and see if its in gear ( just a tidbit for next time you are on switchbacks so you can keep your pants clean) you might want to have the TCM scanned for any soft codes that it may have to possibly steer you in the proper direction for the cause.

David1tontj

you could always hold the brake with your left foot and give it a little gas to check and see if its in gear ( just a tidbit for next time you are on switchbacks so you can keep your pants clean)

X2!! Good idea for anyone, I even do this with my manual trans!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tigrcky

X2!! Good idea for anyone, I even do this with my manual trans!

yeah i do it as well, some call this powerbraking its mainly used in racing autos in the 1/8th and 1/4er mile but it works wonders for offroading as well! :thumb:

Benny

What year is yours? There is a thread over on the other forum about the 12-13 Rubicons having a phantom issue when switching from drive to reverse in 4lo. Mine has done it twice. It always seems to happen when people are in 4lo driving on hills and then changing from drive to reverse in the Auto Rubicons. The first time it did it I backed up in 4lo to get a new line and when I put it in drive it felt like it was stuck in 6th gear. revs would go up but it'd barely move. Then last night I was helping pull people up an icy hill at work and when putting it i reverse it would just rev.
I thinks it's some software issue with the trans. Both issues for me were resolved by turning the jeep off and restarting it. Of course the problem never shows up when trying to demonstrate it to the dealer.

dangerruss

Possibly the binding is caused by your lockers? I'd try it with the lockers off because it shouldn't bind up as much. Scary stuff!! Glad you didn't go over!!

Thanks... Not sure the lockers were on, but next time I will make sure they are off.

dangerruss

does not sound like its engaging, i doubt its a valve body issue. you could always hold the brake with your left foot and give it a little gas to check and see if its in gear ( just a tidbit for next time you are on switchbacks so you can keep your pants clean) you might want to have the TCM scanned for any soft codes that it may have to possibly steer you in the proper direction for the cause.

Good advice... Thanks!

dangerruss

What year is yours? There is a thread over on the other forum about the 12-13 Rubicons having a phantom issue when switching from drive to reverse in 4lo. Mine has done it twice. It always seems to happen when people are in 4lo driving on hills and then changing from drive to reverse in the Auto Rubicons. The first time it did it I backed up in 4lo to get a new line and when I put it in drive it felt like it was stuck in 6th gear. revs would go up but it'd barely move. Then last night I was helping pull people up an icy hill at work and when putting it i reverse it would just rev.
I thinks it's some software issue with the trans. Both issues for me were resolved by turning the jeep off and restarting it. Of course the problem never shows up when trying to demonstrate it to the dealer.

Mine is a 2012... I have done the restarting idea and it does eliminate... but, you never know when it might happen again. Thanks!

whiteyjfm

It is a sort off well known problem but there is no cure out for it yet. Ours does it when shifting from 4 lo to 4 hi, but not all the time. For us, shifting to park and then back to drive worked so far. There is a post on another forum about it. I am just not sure is I may post the link or not.

Top Bottom