Gear changing question

Sup3rStar

So, im currently in the process of changing my gears from 3.21 to 4.88
Ive found a deal on a set of diff (minus back plates and breaks) already setup 4.88 with eaton e-locker.

Ive swapped the rear already, but didnt had time to do the front (need to transfer my knuckles/ brakes to the other diff)

Here's the question, is there a problem running my jeep a couple of days (2week top) with the 3.21 in the front and 4.88 in the back? Obviously I won't be engaging the 4x4

It's a 2010 jku

Sent from my SGH-M919V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
So, im currently in the process of changing my gears from 3.21 to 4.88
Ive found a deal on a set of diff (minus back plates and breaks) already setup 4.88 with eaton e-locker.

Ive swapped the rear already, but didnt had time to do the front (need to transfer my knuckles/ brakes to the other diff)

Here's the question, is there a problem running my jeep a couple of days (2week top) with the 3.21 in the front and 4.88 in the back? Obviously I won't be engaging the 4x4

It's a 2010 jku

With the traction control. I don't think so. I may be wrong. You can try it around the block. If all the bells and whistles start flashing. You will know for sure. Mechanically it will be fine as long as you don't use 4x4

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes you will have a problem. The only way around it is to take off your front drive shaft.

Sent from my iPhone

Sup3rStar

Drove it to work today, no check lights .. all seems fine

If its in 2wd the transfer case should be free no?

ill pull the drive shaft if I have too

Im under the impression that the front driveshaft is just free spinning at the t-case (since its not engage)

Last edited:

Sup3rStar

Ill take it off after work.. anyone will explain why? Anyone with a technical why?

The theory is since its in 2wd the tcase is spinning free ..

What will cause failure?

TrailBear

The drive shaft will still spin, which will spin the internals of the t case, which will be at a different rate of the rear shaft, yes the front shaft is not under power but I would think it can cause a issue anyways

Sup3rStar

That's what im thinking too

It there was an issue with the front driveshaft still being in, you wouldn't have made it to work this morning without walking.

as you already know, just Stay out of 4 wheel drive.

Top Bottom