Check Engine Light

MikeO

Well my engine light just came on after 75,000 miles. Look's like I'm making a trip to the dealer tonight. Any ideas on what it may be?

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!! 2012 JKU Sport

mattfl

Well my engine light just came on after 75,000 miles. Look's like I'm making a trip to the dealer tonight. Any ideas on what it may be?

Sounds like your engine is about to explode, better get it towed there.

matt

Caught the Bug
Put the key in the ignition, turn to start but don't start it. After all the lights and buzzers stop push it in and turn to accessory then back on 3 times. Do this quickly. You should get a code. Google the code and that should give you some idea what's going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hack12

Cylinder 2 misfire.

Same thing happened to me at 60k, only mine was a cylinder 4 misfire. Quite a few things can cause it, but it is most commonly attributed to bad spark plugs and/or spark plug wires. I replaced both my plugs and wires and haven't seen another light since. I'm now happily at 72k.

txjeeplover

My 2008 3.8 gave me that same code recently when I developed a slight misfire. I did a complete tune-up (coil pack, wireset, and plugs) and it went away instantly. However I have read on forums that the same code on the 2012 and later 3.6 can mean a bad head surface/poor compression. I would do the tune-up, and if that fails to cure the problem after you clear the code, I'd let the dealer examine the problem.

matt

Caught the Bug
Just had the same code on my 12. Take it to the dealer, it's the drivers side head.

MikeO

The dealer is telling me it's a bad plug. I hope they're right.

MikeO

Upon further review it has been determined that the head is bad and will have to be replaced.

had same thing was the head exhasut valves burnt on it! usually under hard acceleration in summer time you can smell them burning on the 3.6 haha so much fun destroying these things just empty every pocket

MikeO

I hear ya pal. Buy a Jeep they said, it will be fun. I must admit I do love it though.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Just had the same code on my 12. Take it to the dealer, it's the drivers side head.

Matt gets the prize for Knowing stuff before the dealer does. Good call!:thumb: Honestly it's an epidemic of Pentastar cyl. heads.:doh: My 2012 JKUR got the same code @ 20K mi.:doh: My son's Pentastar equipped mini van just got the code @ 50K.:doh: If you have a dealer who has seen lots of these (which one hasn't) they'll handle it in under a day. Sometimes parts availability is a problem. I drove for three weeks with no problems except for the damned check engine light before the new head arrived. Best of luck.:yup:

matt

Caught the Bug
Depending on the code. The error code that relates to this is a misfire.

It can clear itself if it doesn't detect another misfire, mine did for about a week until it got worse and stayed on. If you look up the code, general description points to plug/wire.

The computer is detecting is a misfire on cylinder 2 in this case. I believe some have also reported a misfire on cylinder 4.

Linebacker- I wast just playing the odds ;), the wire could have been bad, disconnected or maybe a bad spark plug as well.

Last edited:

Hack12

Depending on the code. The error code that relates to this is a misfire.

It can clear itself if it doesn't detect another misfire, mine did for about a week until it got worse and stayed on. If you look up the code, general description points to plug/wire.

The computer is detecting is a misfire on cylinder 2 in this case. I believe some have also reported a misfire on cylinder 4.

Linebacker- I wast just playing the odds ;), the wire could have been bad, disconnected or maybe a bad spark plug as well.

"There is an immeasurable distance between late and too late." Lol

Top Bottom