4WD question

Dannyboy76

Had to drive down one of the many terrible street in my town. They haven't plowed it, and it is pretty much all ice and snow. I put my Jeep in 4WD and got threw it. When getting back to a road. It seemed like the stick was stuck. And at first it wouldn't disengage. Not until I got to a flat surface. And it work fine. Before I bring it in. Anybody else have this issue. Up until now. I have had not one issue.

SDG

Caught the Bug
auto or stick?

if auto were you still in D?

Sounds like the drive line was still under tension, and that's why it wouldn't shift out of 4x till you got onto a flat street.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I would just get out and try it again. Try it when you are rolling at a couple mph if in D, or if you are stopped go into neutral and take your foot off the brake for a sec so you roll to release any load, then try and shift.

Dont think anything is wrong with it, they can just be a little finicky sometimes.

Boji

I would just get out and try it again. Try it when you are rolling at a couple mph if in D, or if you are stopped go into neutral and take your foot off the brake for a sec so you roll to release any load, then try and shift.

Dont think anything is wrong with it, they can just be a little finicky sometimes.

X2 ... When mine sticks I do the same and it goes back in

suicideking

If you were in 4 low, this is totally normal. If it was just 4 hi, you should be able to shift while moving (or still).

trailless

Caught the Bug
Sometimes it gets stuck. As long as you're able to go into 4hi again, I wouldn't worry too much.

Now if I could only figure out how to get from 4lo to 4hi without it getting stuck and then accidentally shifting into 2hi...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Sometimes it gets stuck. As long as you're able to go into 4hi again, I wouldn't worry too much.

Now if I could only figure out how to get from 4lo to 4hi without it getting stuck and then accidentally shifting into 2hi...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dont force it haha. Its designed for you to be rolling (per the molar vid) so while you can do it from a stand still sometimes ot gets stuck due to the load on the t case. Just keep at it :)

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

metaldemon

My JK, and my XJ are the same. One is a manual, the other an automatic. Neutral, and just barely moving. Be careful on a JK, they come with plastic clips that hold on the shifter cable. If you force it, they break. Then you can't shift it. I carry a couple in the glove box.

jojo'sjk

I have a question. This is my first jeep a guy from work told me to drive around a parking lot for a few minutes with 4L and 4H engaged. I'm in Texas he stated that if I don't I could blow my transmission. Is this true? Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from somewhere over the rainbow...

bl17z90

I have a question. This is my first jeep a guy from work told me to drive around a parking lot for a few minutes with 4L and 4H engaged. I'm in Texas he stated that if I don't I could blow my transmission. Is this true? Any tips would be appreciated.

I have never heard that

jeeeep

Hooked

:eek: not true!

if you drive it around in 4LO on the dry flat pavement and there is no slip from the wheels to the ground you could cause damage if driven too long same is true for 4Hi, the system needs some wheel slip once in a while to keep it happy - on drive pavement with no slip over time will cause damage.

These new 4WD systems are pretty advanced and don't need to driven around just because...next time he advises you on something Jeep related put on your hip waders and get a bigger shovel --- all the crap he's spewing you'll need it ...

Take your owner's manual and go out on a dirt road and get used to engaging and disengaging you 4WD -have fun! :beer:

jojo'sjk

Aww! Thank you so much! He talked a good game too lol.. I blew him off but I knew I would get help from the forums!

CerOf

I appreciate it. Any tips to good transmission life or 4X4 life?

I have heard that you should use 4wd once a month or so to keep everything lubricated. I don't know how true this is, but would seem to make sense.

If for no other reason then you know things are in working order.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

jojo'sjk

It makes sense that way. Anyone else hear anything like this? My jeep didn't come with a manual.

Zstairlessone

I have heard that you should use 4wd once a month or so to keep everything lubricated. I don't know how true this is, but would seem to make sense.

If for no other reason then you know things are in working order.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

I would have to wonder about this. The front differential and axles are spinning when you drive (unless you upgrade to locking hubs and open them) and the transfer case is spinning while driving through the rear. It would seem that they are both getting lubed just fine - remember this is only my thoughts and not based on anything but (un-informed and possibly not so) common sense

Top Bottom