4hi vs. 4lo

This probably seems like a noob question but when do you use each one? I was recently in a blizzard driving in 4hi while my buddy was trying to convince me I should be in 4lo, but I have only used 4lo on trails? Now I'm all confused and the last thing I want to do is really eff up something important. I have a 13 jkur auto if that changes anything.

JKWrang

4hi is for higher speeds where you want increased traction. Generally in poor weather on the highway, low traction conditions above 20mph you would engage 4hi.

4 lo would be for low speed low traction conditions I.e. off roading, you're stuck, etc.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Last edited:

Tigrcky

This probably seems like a noob question but when do you use each one? I was recently in a blizzard driving in 4hi while my buddy was trying to convince me I should be in 4lo, but I have only used 4lo on trails? Now I'm all confused and the last thing I want to do is really eff up something important. I have a 13 jkur auto if that changes anything.

some might call it a noob question however if you really dont know you should ask because this is how everyone learns, as JKWrang said 4hi for 20 mph and up and 4 low for 20 mph and down, however some people prefer to use 4 low in snow, i dont see the logic because in snow you want momentum just like in sand unless you are chained up. so for snow once you start feeling your rear axle start sliding around read down and pop it into 4 hi you will be fine, for that big rocky hill go ahead and put it in 4 low and enjoy the climb :twocents:

4hi is for higher speeds where you want increased traction. Generally in poor weather on the highway, low traction conditions above 20mph you would engage 4hi.

4 lo would be for low speed low traction conditions I.e. off roading, you're stuck, etc.

Awesome that's what I thought but my buddy had me all confused! Thanks a lot!

some might call it a noob question however if you really dont know you should ask because this is how everyone learns, as JKWrang said 4hi for 20 mph and up and 4 low for 20 mph and down, however some people prefer to use 4 low in snow, i dont see the logic because in snow you want momentum just like in sand unless you are chained up. so for snow once you start feeling your rear axle start sliding around read down and pop it into 4 hi you will be fine, for that big rocky hill go ahead and put it in 4 low and enjoy the climb :twocents:

Hah ya I figured I'd rather be an internet noob (as opposed to internet tough guy) than be the real life noob broken down on the side of the road:crazy eyes: Thanks a lot guys, you're the best:beer:

JKWrang

Hah ya I figured I'd rather be an internet noob (as opposed to internet tough guy) than be the real life noob broken down on the side of the road:crazy eyes: Thanks a lot guys, you're the best:beer:

Any time, thats what we are here for!

Tigrcky

im a so called internet tough guy, but secretly im just a nice guy who hates bullies, and your quite welcome!!! whats the use of having knowledge if we cant share it?

David1tontj

I don't want to insult you, but in case people don't understand. 4hi does not have any additional gear reduction.. It is simply engaging the front axle.

4lo is when you need more torque. ie steep hills, bogged down by mud, or pulling someone out. Also, if you are navigating a technical section of trail and need to go slower, 4lo is a good idea.

If you decide to try to get unstuck from a mud hole in 4hi, you might not have enough low end torque to get the tires spinning, and can also risk transmission damage. Good rule of thumb, if you feel like your rig is struggling, or slipping the transmission a lot, then throw it in 4lo until you are out of whatever you are in. Since you have a rubicon, you are gonna be 4 times slower in 4lo than 4hi. ie- your top speed in 2 wheel drive might be 80- throw it in low, and now your top speed is 20.. Make sence?

Hope this helps

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tigrcky

I don't want to insult you, but in case people don't understand. 4hi does not have any additional gear reduction.. It is simply engaging the front axle.

4lo is when you need more torque. ie steep hills, bogged down by mud, or pulling someone out. Also, if you are navigating a technical section of trail and need to go slower, 4lo is a good idea.

If you decide to try to get unstuck from a mud hole in 4hi, you might not have enough low end torque to get the tires spinning, and can also risk transmission damage. Good rule of thumb, if you feel like your rig is struggling, or slipping the transmission a lot, then throw it in 4lo until you are out of whatever you are in. Since you have a rubicon, you are gonna be 4 times slower in 4lo than 4hi. ie- your top speed in 2 wheel drive might be 80- throw it in low, and now your top speed is 20.. Make sence?

Hope this helps

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

well said!!! i agree fully! :thumb:

JKWrang

If you decide to try to get unstuck from a mud hole in 4hi, you might not have enough low end torque to get the tires spinning, and can also risk transmission damage. Good rule of thumb, if you feel like your rig is struggling, or slipping the transmission a lot, then throw it in 4lo until you are out of whatever you are in. Since you have a rubicon, you are gonna be 4 times slower in 4lo than 4hi. ie- your top speed in 2 wheel drive might be 80- throw it in low, and now your top speed is 20.. Make sence? .

Im insulted :(

Edit: just kidding. :beer:

Last edited:

Hope this helps

Yes definitely, no insults taken hah I know my position. Thanks for the why/how and not just the when!:thumb:

David1tontj

Yes definitely, no insults taken hah I know my position. Thanks for the why/how and not just the when!:thumb:

As far as the when- it also depends on how your rig is geared. My ride has a 4.5:1 first gear and 5:13 ring and pinion giving me 23:1 total crawl ratio in hi range.. On 40" tires, that seems to be low enough for me for most of my sand and snow wheeling, with the exception of steeper hills and pulling people out. I don't even think about hi range on the rocks- it's all about staying on the right line so you want your lowest crawl ratio, for me it would be that same 23:1 (from my transmission and ring&pinion) and multiply it by the 4:1(low range) for a total of 92:1. That pretty much won't stall- perfect for going slow enough to navigate through a boulder patch. Now we get into tougher obstacles- sometimes, simply crawling over an obstacle won't work and we need a little bit of the skinny pedal to achieve a bounce or just to claw up a section- if you have a manual, you would probably still want low range, but maybe second gear to get more wheel spin. (This is a good technique, but beware, this is also when stuff goes wrong-broken parts and rollovers being the two big things that I worry about)

Just take your rig out and play with it, you'll find what works best for it, and remember that just because something works well in someone else's rig (your friend who likes 4lo on snowy roads), doesn't mean that your rig will be the same. His rig may only have a 2.32:1 or 2.7:1 low range which is not nearly as low as your rubicon's 4:1

Happy wheeling!

Top Bottom