What makes a good Wheeler

JKU EXTREME

What makes someone a good wheeler? What makes someone good? What knowledge do good wheelers usually have? How much experience do they usually have?

I am curious, because I have never wheeled, ever, so I want to know how I can become a good wheeler. I know it takes time and dedication, and I aspire to become a good wheeler.
Thanks
-John

JKWrang

What makes someone a good wheeler? What makes someone good? What knowledge do good wheelers usually have? How much experience do they usually have?

I am curious, because I have never wheeled, ever, so I want to know how I can become a good wheeler. I know it takes time and dedication, and I aspire to become a good wheeler.
Thanks
-John

This is really subjective.

A good wheeler (good being competent) learns his rig, its capabilities and learns from his group. The more you know, the more you ask questions, the better!

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

JKU EXTREME

This is really subjective.

A good wheeler (good being competent) learns his rig, its capabilities and learns from his group. The more you know, the more you ask questions, the better!

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

That's a valid point. Thank you

defCon5

Patience and the willingness to learn from others. Sort out the good advice from the bs. And most of all, having fun.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Skinny pedal! :rock:

Too wide open of a question, but my advice to become a good wheeler would be to go with knowledgeable people, listen to your spotter and watch/learn from what others do. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what it is you are seeing or why someone is doing something a certain way. Most jeepers, and arguably all the "good" ones, will be happy to help you learn.

Good luck!

FrankenJeeper

COMMON SENSE, experience and ask questions and watch folks who've been wheeling a while.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

My 0.02 worth!

Thanks
-John

The best advice I can give you John is to go out and wheel your Jeep, learn what you both can do, as well as what you can't do. By that I mean what it can climb over and what it can't etc. It will take time to become one with your Jeep, to get a feel for everything your doing with it.

Me, I've been wheeling for just shy of 2 years now. Started with an old YJ and got pretty good with it and when it was time for a newer/better Jeep I got the TJ I have now and I love this Jeep. I have not found anything so far that it won't climb/ go over etc. But at the same time I am still learning this Jeep that I have had for 5 months now. I have seen people do obstacles that I won't try yet just because I don't know it well enough, know what I mean?

Find a 4 wheel drive club in your neck of the world and meet with them to see if you all get along and if you do spend time wheeling with them, it will be the single most important thing you can do. From them you will learn a wealth of information and tips as well as they can help you learn how to maintain your rig.

Hope my long winded 0.02 worth helps.

Last edited:

JKU EXTREME

The best advice I can give you John is to go out and wheel your Jeep, learn what you both can do, as well as what you can't do. By that I mean what it can climb over and what it can't etc. It will take time to become one with your Jeep, to get a feel for everything your doing with it.

Me, I've been wheeling for just shy of 2 years now. Started with an old YJ and got pretty good with it and when it was time for a newer/better Jeep I got the TJ I have now and I love this Jeep. I have not found anything so far that it won't climb/ go over etc. But at the same time I am still learning this Jeep that I have had for 5 months now. I have seen people do obstacles that I won't try yet just because I don't know it well enough, know what I mean?

Find a 4 wheel drive club in your neck of the world and meet with them to see if you all get along and if you do spend time wheeling with them, it will be the single most important thing you can do. From them you will learn a wealth of information and tips as well as they can help you learn how to maintain your rig.

Hope my long winded 0.02 worth helps.

That helps. As soon as I move up around San Antonio, I'm going to join a club.

dahreno

Banned
I agree with everybody above but what I have noticed is a great wheeler can see right through a group of big rocks and can really find the line that makes it look easy. Just goes right over nice and easy, no bangs, slams, nothing, just right up and over! As far as other kinds of 4 wheeling such as dirt roads, not so hard to do.

Beyrgut

A good attitude, doesn't matter what kind of skills you have. I would rather wheel with a bunch of admittedly noobs like myself than some pompous ass know it all that can't be bothered helping out others learn.

Then again that's not just wheeling that's life in general.

Top Bottom