Caster help please…..again !

steve_r2

Ok…..had an issue with driveline vibrations after doing gear swap to 4.88's
Ended up changing front and rear drive shafts, engine and transmission mounts.
Vibrations were a lot less but still there. Had alignment done and found I was way off R to L.
Then decided to get rid of my AEV drop correction brackets and get adjustable front lower control arms (Teraflex).
Shop has now aligned caster to 4.4* both sides……however on driving still get low grade vibration from 65 mph onwards….
So do I try and bring the caster back closer to 4.2* to help eliminate this vibration completely ? or increase it ?
All bearings, bushings, torque etc have been checked and are ok….post gear change inspection is fine as well.
I have read Eddies write up on caster adjustment…. and though seems straight forward just not sure I am confident of getting right as yet (total noob at this !!)

2009 JKU Auto, AEV 2.5 " suspension, Teraflex front lower adjustable control arms, 33's measuring 31.5"(E rated), winch and Warn bumper

Cheers
Steve

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you actually tried removing your front drive shaft and drive around without it to verify that it is in fact the cause of your vibrations? I'm pretty sure I had recommended this before and doing so will allow you to solve problems without having to throw more money at your Jeep.

steve_r2

Have you actually tried removing your front drive shaft and drive around without it to verify that it is in fact the cause of your vibrations? I'm pretty sure I had recommended this before and doing so will allow you to solve problems without having to throw more money at your Jeep.
Hi Eddie.....sorry I did do as you recommended and drive shaft was removed ...vibration still there. Have now dialled my caster into 4.2 *.
It's now negligible.......probably being picky and looking for fault but things like this really bug me .
As I am learning all this as we go so please bare with me....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie.....sorry I did do as you recommended and drive shaft was removed ...vibration still there. Have now dialled my caster into 4.2 *.
It's now negligible.......probably being picky and looking for fault but things like this really bug me .
As I am learning all this as we go so please bare with me....

If you removed your shaft and the vibrations were still there, adjusting your caster will make no difference.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is it possible that you're just feeling the lug thumping of your tire tread?

this was my thought. i know at low speeds i can really feel the lugs of the mud grapplers. i worry for half a second then i remember how agressive my tread is lol

steve_r2

Is it possible that you're just feeling the lug thumping of your tire tread?
I suppose I could be.....and that was why I thought I might be being picky.
I'm not running what I consider to be an aggressive tread pattern (Cooper AT 3s) but it could be.
Really sorry to bug people about this. But here in a Dubai there are no decent workshops I have found with the knowledge you guys have so all my questions get directed here. At least I know I will get a honest answer rather than being told what I want to hear and finding out it's all shite still.....ask me how I know !

Moochie

You say you changed your driveshafts. With aftermarket shafts? Have you adjusted your rear pinion angle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You say you changed your driveshafts. With aftermarket shafts? Have you adjusted your rear pinion angle?

This right here ^^^

If you've installed new drivelines, have removed your front and still have vibrations, they could be coming from the rear shaft. IF you installed a double cardan u-joint style shaft, it is REQUIRED that you set your pinion angle. If you don't, you will have vibrations.

steve_r2

As I have only a 2.5 " lift I have new stock shafts as I understood it these would be ok on a lift this size and a 4 door auto( the others had been on since new ) . Pinion angles are all ok I have been assured by the shop that fitted.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
another thought, did you check to make sure the driveshafts are installed with their balancing marks aligned?

steve_r2

another thought, did you check to make sure the driveshafts are installed with their balancing marks aligned?
Ahhh….I didn't know about this :grayno:. Can you tell me more then ill go check.

@Moochie…..yes I got my tires balanced about 4 days ago. They were done on a RoadForce :thumb:

Last edited:

steve_r2

Ok…..so I'm hoping that I may have tracked it down.
So I have new OEM shafts……on jeeeeeps advise I just have crawled underneath to have a look to see if I can find any marks.
Now on either end there is fluorescent paint spots…… however when checking the spot at axle end was at the 6 o'clock point and the TC end was at 4 o'clock is this the possible cause ? and my shaft is not in phase ?
Please say its so *prays*

jeeeep

Hooked
they should be inline with each other - just double checked my rear DS (still stock) and marks are aligned

steve_r2

they should be inline with each other - just double checked my rear DS (still stock) and marks are aligned
Jeeeep.......if this it......I'll fly over there and personally get you enough beer to sink a battleship and the mother of all hangovers !

steve_r2

Can I disconnect the shaft at one end only to rotate to align the marks….or as I suspect remove completely ?

Sc741

If it is a factory shaft, there is nothing to put into phase. Phase only has to do with universal joints on both ends of the drive shaft being in phase.

Top Bottom