Building a weather proof trunk cover.

JKDriver

I am not sure you will be able to consider this a 'How to" type write up, since I tend to do things the 'hard way". Also, since I am a hobbyist wooden boat builder, its pretty tool intensive.
These are what I am normally building in here...
IMG_1353.jpg

Also, I own a decorative concrete and commercial coatings company, so I have access to and expertise in the application of epoxies and urethanes, so those materials will make their way into this project.

Anyway, I have been planning to build a cover for the deck of my daily driver '07 JKU for a while. I carry some fairly expensive tools back there and am constantly getting caught in rain due to my poor planning. But now that I am installing a stereo system, i need someplace to put the components, so this project moved up the list.

So, what I need is a cover that is extremely weather proof and lockable. I also want it to look "factory" when completed, which means it will be Raptor lined like my interior.
So here we go:
Templates under construction:

IMG_1119.jpg

Working up to the back seats and around the roll bar..
IMG_0049.jpg

Creating a lip to keep water from running forward into the cab.
IMG_0053.jpg

Once the cutting and fitting is done the wood will be epoxy primed, fiberglass coated, then urethane coated with Raptor Liner.

IMG_0051.jpg

Last edited:

JKDriver

Starting work on the lid. First building a coaming that incorporates a "locking hatch"...
IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

The darker wood for the coaming and band around the lid is well dried cherry. Very hard and heavy. Under the lid there are 3 parallel ribs, 2 inch by 2 inch, to help keep it strong and straight.

The back end is the difficult part, working around the knobs that tighten the rear window bar down on my Off Road Hero's top...
IMG_0076.jpg

JKDriver

The hinges, shocks, and lock are done.
IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Here is basically how it will look buttoned up.

IMG_0085.jpg

The hinges are flexible because the top is a positive lock when closed as the coaming and lid top are keyed together. To open, you push the lid forward against the shocks to disengage the lid from the coaming, then let the shocks lift it up. To close you lower it against the shocks tension, and give it a slight shove forward to clear the "lips" (20-25 lbs) and it locks up again. The pressure of the shocks holds it tight, the slide lock is just extra security.

The hole you can see at the upper edge of the lid is for the pin that will inset into the sliding hinge (not yet made) that will keep the forward edge of the lid from lifting up when being opened or closed. The open area at the rear will close up using the top material and latching mechanism just like the Off road Hero's top does...

So just a few more things to work out, then I can epoxy and urethane it and begin the final assembly....

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I like it, especially the shocks. Post up some pics when it's finished. I'll bet it'll be :thumb::thumb:! I'm thinkin' your next project should be a SEMA entry "JKUR/Woodie".

Jeeper Jr.

Would it be possible to put up plans to build it? And shouldn't it work just fine for a 2dr?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
this is sweet! i really like your design. also the lip idea to keep water from running towards the cab is a great idea as well! :yup: :thumb:

JKDriver

Would it be possible to put up plans to build it? And shouldn't it work just fine for a 2dr?

It will not fit in a 2 door. I'm sure you could build a modified version, but it would be much smaller.

As for plans to build it, sure I can draw it out. I made templates sor all the major difficult pieces because I have a few friends that want me to build one for them. The problem is that you need quite a few wood working tools to build this. Off the top of my head I used table saw, jig saw, router table, laminate router, belt sander, random orbital sander and quite a few jigs and specialty bits. If you don't have the tools, building this would be hard. If you do have the tools, you most likely don't need any help once you have seen the project.

JKDriver

this is sweet! i really like your design. also the lip idea to keep water from running towards the cab is a great idea as well! :yup: :thumb:

Thanks! But I can't really claim to have thought of the lip, I just modified boat construction methods for the lip and the hatch.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
wow man that is impressive, cant wait to see it finished. Even if I had the tools, something like this would take me forever and I would probably waste a ton of wood.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks! But I can't really claim to have thought of the lip, I just modified boat construction methods for the lip and the hatch.

either way it was a great idea to incorporate it into the design. its something a few other trunk builds i have seen on here dont have.

Jeeper Jr.

It will not fit in a 2 door. I'm sure you could build a modified version, but it would be much smaller.

As for plans to build it, sure I can draw it out. I made templates sor all the major difficult pieces because I have a few friends that want me to build one for them. The problem is that you need quite a few wood working tools to build this. Off the top of my head I used table saw, jig saw, router table, laminate router, belt sander, random orbital sander and quite a few jigs and specialty bits. If you don't have the tools, building this would be hard. If you do have the tools, you most likely don't need any help once you have seen the project.

Darn, I'm broke on both ends. No tools or expertise :banghead:
I guess I'll just ship my ride over to you, when I buy a Jeep. Great work and looking super clean.

JKDriver

Darn, I'm broke on both ends. No tools or expertise :banghead:
I guess I'll just ship my ride over to you, when I buy a Jeep. Great work and looking super clean.

Maybe I should make some paper templates? That way someone with the tools can cut it out for you?

Dave

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting this JKDriver!

By far the best one I've seen. I've been thinking about making one to replace my tuffy security deck. Any chance you could get a better picture of the hinges or list the source?

I agree with the above...can't wait to see the finished product!👏

Edit: nice boats BTW. You've got some great skills!

JKDriver

Thanks for posting this JKDriver!

By far the best one I've seen. I've been thinking about making one to replace my tuffy security deck. Any chance you could get a better picture of the hinges or list the source?

I agree with the above...can't wait to see the finished product!

Edit: nice boats BTW. You've got some great skills!

Thanks! Boat building is a hobby. I would love to make a living at it..maybe a retirement income?

Any way the "hinges" are really just 3 inch wide velcro strips from West Marine. They are held by small door u shaped pulls. All they really do is help keep the deck front edge from being pushed forward by the shocks when opening and closing. The sliding hinge that I am just finishing up might make them redundant.....

As you can tell, this is a work in progress. I am designing it as I go...

FrankenJeeper

That looks awesome! If you make any templates for it keep me in mind :thumbup:

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

ImLost7

Great looking deck.

I was looking at buying one and decided last month that I am going to build one myself - once Chicago gets into positive temperatures. After seeing yours, I will be borrowing generously from your design. I lack a few tools, but this is an excuse to get some. Any measurements, designs, patterns, etc. you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my S4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom