Starting issue.

mrincredible004

Been having a bit of an issue with my TJ. It will start off fine right away in the morning and then if I stop turn it off for a couple hours and then go to start it and it wont start for a little bit then it will sputter to life about 10 seconds to startup.

Not sure if its a condensation issue or what.

Any advice would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

could be a sensor of some sort, do you have any codes? On a cold start the computer puts the jeep into a cold start loop before it goes into its normal operation cycle. When in its cold loop a lot of the sensors are in their default mode not collecting data for the computer. When it warms up then the computer runs off the sensors, so that could be why its hard to start when a couple hours later as everything is still warm.

little unclear whats happening. It sputters and then starts, or it starts the sputters? Good old throttle body cleaning and AIC, and TPS its always helpful on the 4.0s

mrincredible004

Its sputters then starts. I will give it a once over and see if that helps.
No codes just the starting issue. Will report back with any updates.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MC2003TJ

Check all power connections from the battery to the starter to the alternator to the fuse box. A loose connection or bad wire will draw more current on start-up. This will affect the voltage going to the ECM and the motor will just turn over and sputter randomly and be worse when warmed up. I had this problem with my TJ having a burnt wire from the alternator to the fuse block/ battery terminal. Also had this problem with my fuel injected boat. Loose terminal at the starter solenoid. Once it actually starts and you are not using current for the starter the motor runs fine. BTW..... this condition did not throw any codes with the ECM. Once repaired both engines start perfectly everytime now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom