ESP Kill Switch

I believe it is purple/white. It is under the center console. Why do you want to disable yours? Typically, if everything is setup properly,(steering wheel perfectly centered,etc) you shouldn't have to disable it as it will also disable your ABS.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Firewrangler

Cause the one time in 50 years we had some snow and ice and I couldn't play. Plus it's a little more fun in the mud! Not something I plan on leaving off all the time.

JKWrang

There a switch on the jk that lets you turn esp off. Does yours not have that??

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Cpyrd

The factory switch doesn't completely turn it off! I will be doing this mod as well. I don't know why jeep does this. I know on ford's it completely shuts it off.

Josh27

Like already stated, it is the purple wire with the light blue stripe. If I remember right there was also another wire that looked a lot like the same color, so take your time and make sure! As for why I did it, my jeep is lifted with 35s and on curvy roads the traction control would kick on even if I was going below the recommended speed for the curve-- not anywhere near the speed that the jeep should comfortably go around the curve. It almost caused me to go into the guard rail a few times, IMO traction control is not safe when the jeep is lifted with bigger tires as a result of the higher center of gravity.

The factory esp off button does not turn traction control completely off and keeps on the brake assist or whatever it is called. I believe the manual says it comes back on at 30mph. And yes, it does make sliding around more fun. Definitely a night and day difference with the switch turning everything off (ABS, BAS, ESP)

Hack12

The switch is a great idea. I was on the verge of installing one until I realized that I really wanted my ESP off most, if not all, of the time. I ended up just doing the factory steering wheel hokey pokey and haven't looked back since. It's night and day from the partial off switch on the lower dash. I no longer get any ESP activation on bumpy turns and I thoroughly enjoy the driving freedom I now have. If I ever decide to turn it back on I'll just do the hokey pokey again. As cool of an idea as a switch is, for my purposes, it just wasn't worth the effort. However, it's a wonderful idea for those of you who want to have the option to quickly go from on to off. Whichever route you go, turning the ESP off is wonderfully satisfying.

pvanweelden

The purple with dark blue is NOT the wire you want, so find it first, so you can locate the purple with light blue stripe

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

Here is a pretty great little Electronic Stability Control (ESP) chart for JK's that I found on the web.
ESP.jpg

Josh27

The switch is a great idea. I was on the verge of installing one until I realized that I really wanted my ESP off most, if not all, of the time. I ended up just doing the factory steering wheel hokey pokey and haven't looked back since. It's night and day from the partial off switch on the lower dash. I no longer get any ESP activation on bumpy turns and I thoroughly enjoy the driving freedom I now have. If I ever decide to turn it back on I'll just do the hokey pokey again. As cool of an idea as a switch is, for my purposes, it just wasn't worth the effort. However, it's a wonderful idea for those of you who want to have the option to quickly go from on to off. Whichever route you go, turning the ESP off is wonderfully satisfying.
When I did the steering wheel dance I would have to do it every time I started the jeep for it to stay off. I might have done it wrong but I don't remember exactly what I did. I kinda like my switch though that way I can choose when I want it to work. The only thing I like about the traction control is that it helps getting going from a stop light/sign on icy roads since my toyo's are not the best on ice. A lot of people don't like the idea of the abs turning off too but I don't really care for abs. But when it comes down to it, mod your vehicle for your driving style.:thumb:

Last edited:

Firewrangler

Mines an 07 so I don't think the steering wheel dance works on mine. My boot on my shifter is coming undone, so I'm going to do the switch while I can see the wires easier.

Hack12

When I did the steering wheel dance I would have to do it every time I started the jeep for it to stay off. I might have did it wrong but I don't remember exactly what I did. I kinda like my switch though that way I can choose when I want it to work. The only thing I like about the traction control is that it helps getting going from a stop light/sign on icy roads since my toyo's are not the best on ice. A lot of people don't like the idea of the abs turning off too but I don't really care for abs. But when it comes down to it, mod your vehicle for your driving style.:thumb:

Yeah, I had the same problem as you the first couple times I tried the dance. We were definitely doing it incorrectly. On my third try it shut completely off and has been off ever since. It reminds me it's off on every start up with a quick ding and an "ESP OFF" message on the mileage display screen. It's been about 3 months of bliss! However, like you said, if you are someone who wants and easy option that will allow you to turn your ESP on and off on the fly then the switch is a much better option. I also run the Toyo's and completely understand where you're coming from on icy take-offs. I just don't find it to be that much of an annoyance.

Top Bottom