New guy need some career advice

Chrisaod

So I know I haven't been a member for very long,(not even a week) but the other forums I used to be members of are not in my interests anymore. So here it goes..

I've currently been working for an almond farmer in the town up , about 20 minutes from my house for 6 months or so. I worked at a dairy for two years before that as the main mechanic, same position the the farm I work at now main mechanic. I just got a dollar raise that bumped me up to 14 an hour, I work 10 hours a day 5 days a week and 5.5 hours on Saturday during downtime and 60+ hours a week during harvest, sep - end of Oct. not to mention the manager/future owner is a personal friend of mine.
About a month ago I got a job offer at the local John Deere dealer as a setup guy, setting up tractors a in tire spacing, installation of accessories etc. the pay should be around 14-16 an hour with paid vacation, paid holidays and full benefits at the cost of around 50-60 dollars a month. 8 hours a day 5 days a week with the option of half day Saturday when needed or wanted..

..I like where I work now but there is no progression in my position as it is a family owned business. I will always be the mechanic, nothing more. The dealership has vast opportunities of different locations, possible to "move up" in the company, plus they send you to training every few months. I know most of the guys that work there, one of them is my best friend and possible future brother in law.

I guess my question is, wouldn't it be dumb not to take the job at the dealership? I will be the low man on the totem pole so to speak. I was told when I go my current job no hard feelings if anything ever happens. Am I over thinking it? I could really use some advice. Anything would help.
-thanks, Chris

Dealership name is Belkorp ag. Or belkorpag.com

Last edited:

JKWrang

You gotta make a business decision. Friendships should never crumble over solid business decisions so long as you leave amicably (dont quit and give 1 day notice.) If they do, then they weren't truly a friend.

I'd follow the promotion base.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

espi

This is an interesting statement. You should plan for your future and if you have a family support there needs, but I know many people who have passed away before retirement age. Money is not everything, you have to balance your happiness and life's needs.

If its something you want and like to do than I say take the job.

I was offered a job that pays $20,000 more, but I would be required to move every 3 years and it would not be right for my wife and son.

FrankenJeeper

I would recommend taking the opportunity. An older gentleman told me when I was in high school, and was offered a better job, if a current employer gets angry at you for trying to better yourself and future family, they weren't worth working for to start with. Once he told me that I have never been afraid to follow career opportunities. I went from a general laborer to a tool and die apprentice to a tool maker to a teacher and now about to jump at an opportunity to become a traveling service tech for a large machine manufacturer. Each move has been difficult to leave a comfort zone, but always been for the better.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

You have to go where you can move up. A true friend will understand and will want the best for you and your family. Go with John Deere.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

JKDriver

If the John Deere dealership is offering continued training and advancement opportunities, AND if this is a career you want to stay in, then it is worth the loss of income. On two separate occasions in my life I have taken a significant cut in pay and loss of "status" to move into another career track. Both paid off well in the long term.

9 years ago my friends and co workers thought I was crazy to leave a Regional Manager position and a six figure salary to start a construction company. It took a lot of hard work and long hours, but within 5 years I surpassed my old salary. If you ever want to make remotely what you are worth, you are going to have to take some risks, make some hard decisions, and even step back some times.

Chrisaod

Great advice guys I highly appreciate it. I forgot to mention I'm going in on Thursday to go over the details of the position at John Deere I was 50% sure I was gonna make the switch but now I am 99% sure. Thanks again
-Chris

GuillaumeC91

Yep do it! If I can add one thing, like as been said, leave on good terms. The worst thing to do is to burn your bridges. Every conversation I've ever had with managers when leaving a job, ended with "Best of luck to you, but if anything goes wrong, you'll always have a place here!".

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Rebel JK

Chris- this sounds like an opportunity you'll regret not taking. Take advantage of every bit of training and certifications you can. You should expect to be the low man on the totem pole, but if you bring the right work ethic with you, the cream will rise to the top.
What I tell our young eager apprentices is if they want to excell, they need to seperate themselves from the average guys. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

BigBoy

Make the move now! You don't want to be stuck in a Dead End job. If you're the best you can get where you are now and the other dealer has growth potential, apply for that job.

Chrisaod

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I've already been offered the job just need to go and discuss details. I am gonna meat with the manager at JD on Thursday. I guess why I was so torn about this is that my boss and the owner of the farm I work at were just tellin me about how happy they were that I was working for them.i guess I'm kind of a people pleaser and I really don't want to let them down. But obviously it's a better move to switch to JD. Thanks again guys!

JKUx

Def. the right move going to a dealer, I started at 19 and now 32; moved up the ranks and I'm able to make a decent living and support wife and kids.

Word of mouth goes a long way and leaving on good terms whether they like it or not is important.

Keep your mind clear and open to all suggestions and requests if you go there, it'll pay off in the long run!

Good luck!🍻

JEFFMS457

Congratulations Chris. I'm a little late here, but it won't change what I have to say. Do what makes you happy...make a balance between work and family time (that includes jeepping time of cours) And most importantly...never forget where you came from...
By what I read here so far, sounds like you are on the right track...
Good Luck!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom