Axle and Drive Shaft Angle

NAUXJ

Hey Ya'll so I just got a new(for me) 1990 XJ and it already has a 4 inch lift on 31in tires and when driving down the road at 40+ miles an hour when you let off the gas you can hear this low rumbling noise from the back pumpkin and I've looked at it and the axle and drive shafts seem to be at some extreme angles, I was wondering what the problem could be, what angle the rear axle is supposed to be at, and how to fix it. I'll post some pictures of it soon, hopefully tonight, if not then tomorrow for sure.

NAUXJ

No I don't have an SYE and the back axle is at ~80 degrees. I'll be posting pictures of it as soon as my phone comes back to life. I measured it at the circular indentation on the back of the DIF.

Last edited:

NAUJK

Some pictures for everyone. Phones battery was dead so no flash sorry.

Attachments

• 1392436742009.jpg
    1392436742009.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 64
  • 1392436749955.jpg
    1392436749955.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 63

OJK12

It looks like your drive shaft is at one heck of a steep angle! After zooming in on the pic it looks like the ears of the shaft and yoke are making contact while it makes a revolution. The ears look marked and beat up but it's a lil hard to tell for sure. Spin your driveshaft so the ears are in the same position and see if they are touching if so that's at least one of your problems.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
No I don't have an SYE and the back axle is at ~80 degrees. I'll be posting pictures of it as soon as my phone comes back to life. I measured it at the circular indentation on the back of the DIF.

You need an SYE and driveshaft. Just looking at the diff it looks a little taller than a 4" lift

Top Bottom