how long has your winch in the $600 range lasted

jeeeep

Hooked
I've read through a lot of winch threads and no doubt Warn is king of the hill and also the king of the $$$

trying to decide on the winch investment and I started wondering how long a winch in the $600 or less range really last?

I'd like to know what winch, is it your first winch, about how often is it used and how long have you had it.

:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really, it's hit or miss with winches of that price range. I've run one and had good luck with it - lasted for as long as I had it on my last Jeep and I know there are others who've had great results too. The problem with cheap Chinese winches is in their quality control. The odds of you getting a bad unit are just a lot higher. If you play hard enough where a winch is a critical part of your recovery gear, I personally wouldn't mess around with a cheap winch but, if you're just wanting to have one just to have and maybe use it from time to time, you'd probably be okay with one.

jeeeep

Hooked
that's what I've also concluded, it's hit or miss on the QC.

I used to carry my air pump and other recovery gear as needed but am finding carry it more often than not so I'm also considering the overall cost of winch + on-board air.

I think I'm stuck in the too much analyzing zone :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
that's what I've also concluded, it's hit or miss on the QC.

I used to carry my air pump and other recovery gear as needed but am finding carry it more often than not so I'm also considering the overall cost of winch + on-board air.

I think I'm stuck in the too much analyzing zone :thinking:

Well, that is the reason why I run a WARN PowerPlant on both my JK's. They are great winches and also provide a great source of high capacity air without having to take up any room inside the Jeep. I can bring my 37x12.50 from about 15psi to 30psi in about a minute and a half per tire.

StrizzyChris

If you look long and hard enough, you'll find a used warn 9.5 for under your price range and I can guarantee that it'll last longer. That's what I did :yup:

jeeeep

Hooked
If you look long and hard enough, you'll find a used warn 9.5 for under your price range and I can guarantee that it'll last longer. That's what I did :yup:

yea..i used to be a master of finding great deals, now as i get older i don't have the patience to search nor wait, I think I'm becoming the seller of great deals! lol

TheDuff

I got my zeon 10k for 800 and I've seen the m8000 for around 500

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I've read through a lot of winch threads and no doubt Warn is king of the hill and also the king of the $$$

trying to decide on the winch investment and I started wondering how long a winch in the $600 or less range really last?

I'd like to know what winch, is it your first winch, about how often is it used and how long have you had it.

:beer:

Until you need it most.,.

turbineguy

I got my zeon 10k for 800 and I've seen the m8000 for around 500

Two days ago I found a Warn Zeon 10 on Amazon for 760 shipped + they have a $100 rebate. So total cost will be 660.

It was only up for a few hours, luckily I had cash set aside and was able to pounce.

Luck and patience is the key.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

I know most seem to prefer Warn, but I just ordered an Engo 10K with synthetic rope for $444. They have gotten great reviews.

I wouldn't buy a used winch. I would only consider buying something used if it doesn't have moving parts like a bumper or something like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know most seem to prefer Warn, but I just ordered an Engo 10K with synthetic rope for $444. They have gotten great reviews.

I wouldn't buy a used winch. I would only consider buying something used if it doesn't have moving parts like a bumper or something like that.

Like I said, it's hit and miss and Engo's are no different than any of the other Chinese winches out there. They're all made by the same Chinese manufacturer and just have a different label depending on who's selling it. Heck, if I wanted, I could have the exact same winch made with a WAYALIFE logo on it and sell it for $400. Again, not saying that your winch won't work, just that the odds are higher it won't. Hopefully, yours will be a good one. :yup:

TheDuff

Seen a harbor freight badlands break on its first use. I'm pretty sure it's the same winch as as few other manufactures are selling, just like Eddie said, with a different label.
And turbineguy, that is a great price u got on the zeon. Thought 800 was pretty good!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I bought a used Warn 9000i. I've only used it about a half dozen times but I know it's going to work when I need it. I think I paid 500 or 600 for it.

turbineguy

Seen a harbor freight badlands break on its first use. I'm pretty sure it's the same winch as as few other manufactures are selling, just like Eddie said, with a different label.
And turbineguy, that is a great price u got on the zeon. Thought 800 was pretty good!

Thanks duff. I was pretty nervous until I got the shipping email. Even so, I am still waiting for it to arrive. Unfortunately it will arrive while Im on the road working.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

Like I said, it's hit and miss and Engo's are no different than any of the other Chinese winches out there. They're all made by the same Chinese manufacturer and just have a different label depending on who's selling it. Heck, if I wanted, I could have the exact same winch made with a WAYALIFE logo on it and sell it for $400. Again, not saying that your winch won't work, just that the odds are higher it won't. Hopefully, yours will be a good one. :yup:

I've read nothing but good reviews of the Engo. If I found mixed reviews, I wouldn't have ordered it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've read nothing but good reviews of the Engo. If I found mixed reviews, I wouldn't have ordered it.

Never said that you didn't read good reviews. Like I said, it's just hit and miss with Chinese made winches, or at least, that's what I have seen over the years. And don't kid yourself, they really are all the same thing just with different labels on them. Again, with any luck, you'll have a hit.

Top Bottom