Amplifier Swap

JEEPnGEO

I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX9980HD Stereo in my Rubi and the way it is configured sucks. The stock infinity amp does left right (from what I was told) and I think the boys at the local sound shop didn't connect the sound bar. Soooo I started tooling around the interwebs and found a amp changeout from a 2008 Dodge Nitro. Everyone says it is better than stock and it "wakes up" the sound bar.

I can't find any specs on the Nitro amp but I am wondering if anyone here might know if one from 2009 Nitro will work. seems like the model number has changed.

Original model number 5091012AH New model number 5091012AK.

I don't want a loud bumping system but I want one that I can watch my DVDs, and anything else I connect to it.

I am running a Metra not a PAC. The PAC I had made my windshield wipers, my dash lights and all my gauges turn on and off. PAC told me that they had an issue with Jeeps BUS and their controllers. They gave me my money back and told me to get a Metra. Cool huh....

I would like the drop in replacement and if the Nitro will work BONUS!!!
If not then I would like to know what AMP I can get that will run the subs, sound bar and front component speakers.

Thanks in advance.

utiadam

LOSER
I used the JL Audio summing device and cleansweep after the factory amp that goes into my 2 JL Audio amps. Did you already get yours fixed or are you looking for options on how to get it sounding right?

I have read about swapping the amp from the nitro but I have not done it. BTW, are you needing more power with the hard top on or off? With the hardtop off the factory amp actually decreases output to the speakers. Ive never actually figured out why but there are 2 pins that you jump together on the connector to the hardtop to make it think the top is still on.

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
With the hardtop off the factory amp actually decreases output to the speakers. Ive never actually figured out why but there are 2 pins that you jump together on the connector to the hardtop to make it think the top is still on.

Can you expand on this ? What are your sources ? I originally had a hard top but now run a soft top and am wondering if this will make my system better. What wires ?

utiadam

LOSER
Can you expand on this ? What are your sources ? I originally had a hard top but now run a soft top and am wondering if this will make my system better. What wires ?

Make a jumper wire and connect the purple/white wire to the ground wire. I was skeptical at first too but its a noticeable volume change.

JEEPnGEO

Make a jumper wire and connect the purple/white wire to the ground wire. I was skeptical at first too but its a noticeable volume change.

Is this the wire that comes out of the radio or from the Amp?

I want sound from my soundbar. Plus the knuckleheads at the stereo shop turned down the subwoofer gain on the Metra so I need to take everything out to adjust it. I would like to be able to adjust Left right front rear.

DVD playback is low and I have to crank it because it needs 4 channels. It doesn't like two channels.

My garage door transmitter stopped working. http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/ . I have this hooked up to my driver windows up button. I didn't want to flash my lights to open my garage door. A wire came off I hope.

utiadam

LOSER
I'm pretty sure he is talking about a jumper on the hard top plug.

Yes! sorry about the confusion. Im talking about the hardtop plug in the back.

How did that stereo shop connect to your factory radio? If you look at the factory amp there are 2 connectors on it. The black plug is out of the radio into the amp and the white plug is out of the amp to the speakers. Here is a wiring diagram with all the colors to the different speakers.

IMG_4375.jpg

JEEPnGEO

I am gonna give yor diagram go. Here is what I am working with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1392659994017.jpg
    1392659994017.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 1392660011292.jpg
    1392660011292.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 131

utiadam

LOSER
Holy crap! That is some craziness going on in there. I tapped into it right at the factory amp. I never removed the head unit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392681178.144065.jpg
This is before I hid all the components.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392681254.674755.jpg

JEEPnGEO

My garage door thingy was burned out so I have to send it back. I found the rear wires and they were just wrapped up in tape. So I made the connections and adjusted the gain and now I am bumping.

Your setup looks pretty clean. Must be nice.

If that Nitro amp makes the sound bar louder I am all for looking for one. My stereo hasn't sounded this good in 2 years.

utiadam

LOSER
My garage door thingy was burned out so I have to send it back. I found the rear wires and they were just wrapped up in tape. So I made the connections and adjusted the gain and now I am bumping.

Your setup looks pretty clean. Must be nice.

If that Nitro amp makes the sound bar louder I am all for looking for one. My stereo hasn't sounded this good in 2 years.

Glad you got it figured out! I am using these components in my stereo.
iPad Mini 64gb
JL Audio C5 crossovers and mids with ZR series tweeters
JL Audio 10W7 subwoofer
JL Audio JX360/4 amplifier
JL Audio JX1000/1D amplifier
JL Audio Cleansweep and summing module
All JL Audio RCA cables
Stinger 20 Farad Capacitor
0 gauge power wire from the battery to the distribution block in the back and then to (2) 4 gauge power wires to the amps
I also used about 4 bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme inside the Jeep. I put it inside the doors and under the carpet. The floor got 1 layer of Dynamat Extreme and then 1 layer of Dynaliner on top of that.
jeep dynamat.jpg jeep ipad.jpg jeep tweeter.jpg

mdwjeep

Nice pics utiadam, and thanks for listing the components.

I have the same Kenwood head as Jeep-n-geo, and I'm looking at getting 2 JL 10TW3 woofers because they take up the least room (that I know of). My plan is to downfire into where the passenger feet would go if I had a back seat.

BTW utiadam, is yours a 2 door or 4 door, can't tell from the pic.

utiadam

LOSER
Nice pics utiadam, and thanks for listing the components.

I have the same Kenwood head as Jeep-n-geo, and I'm looking at getting 2 JL 10TW3 woofers because they take up the least room (that I know of). My plan is to downfire into where the passenger feet would go if I had a back seat.

BTW utiadam, is yours a 2 door or 4 door, can't tell from the pic.

I have a 4 door
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392692096.511999.jpg

Top Bottom