Rock skin liners

Spartan

Why does Poison Spyder have a rubber liner with their skins, and no else seams to have one? Is it just a case of trying to sell people parts they don't need?
Maybe Eddie or Drew knows the answer to this.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I don't see the liner as necessary, although I've never installed PS skins so I'm not sure how well they work. I've used a bead of silicon. It's inexpensive and seems to help.

JAGS

Hooked
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the liner is used in lieu of silicon. Similar to sharkeys comment, most use silicon. When I did mine with the help of some friends, we used silicon.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Why does Poison Spyder have a rubber liner with their skins, and no else seams to have one? Is it just a case of trying to sell people parts they don't need?
Maybe Eddie or Drew knows the answer to this.

Personally I wouldn't run it. Do you really want two layers for dirt to get caught in? I would just run a bead of RTV and call it a day

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Personally I wouldn't run it. Do you really want two layers for dirt to get caught in? I would just run a bead of RTV and call it a day

Which is why you wheel commando, right? I will say that watching you do the pre-run "RTV waistband" is a little rough on the eyes though.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Have been looking at those for myself a while now. I actually kind of like the idea of the EDPM Liner. I think it would just afford an extra layer of protection although I have not seen it in person.

TheDuff

I got the psc skins for Christmas, with the liners. They seem to get smashed down, so dirt might not be an issue.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Have been looking at those for myself a while now. I actually kind of like the idea of the EDPM Liner. I think it would just afford an extra layer of protection although I have not seen it in person.

Extra protection from what?

wwood

I just got PSC rocker armor and rear corner skins. About to install and have been wondering about dirt/water getting trapped in between the skins and the Jeep sheet metal. Also water will condense out of the air in between the 2 metal surfaces. Water/mud trapped in there will cause rust eventually probably pretty fast around the rivnuts. Putting a bead of silicone all the way around the edges of the skins would keep water out but not prevent condensation from water vapor in the air in between the 2 metal layers. A rubber gasket type liner that does not absorb water would displace any air in between the 2 metal surfaces and keep new water from entering if it was squeezed tightly when the rivnuts are installed.

Does anybody have skins installed for more than a year or so? Did you use silicone or any sort of liner? Any rust issues?

Thanks

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Extra protection from what?

A couple of different possibilities; The metal skins overtime may wear on the body underneath. I think it would compress the rubber liner enough to prevent any grime from getting into the gap. I personally would rather depend on a compressed rubber seal to prevent grime from getting in either from the top or bottom than a silicone seal.

If for some reason you ever did take a relatively small hit in the rocker area, the rubber would only help to dampen the force. Obviously a heavy thump is still going to do damage below.

Just my thoughts.

Sithwindu

Well I should be getting my poison spyder frame mounted sliders and skins today and I ordered the rubber liner for the a over mention reasons, I live in Corpus Christi Texas and humidity and moisture is te devil here!! Hoping the liner helps (and it just seemed like a safer idea)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't really know what the liner would help with. You still have to drill holes in your body and it's not like you can easily fix them if you want to take the skins off. Seems like a gimmick and waste of money to me.

JAGS

Hooked
I don't really know what the liner would help with. You still have to drill holes in your body and it's not like you can easily fix them if you want to take the skins off. Seems like a gimmick and waste of money to me.

Maybe run some industrial strength velcro, than you wouldn't need to drill holes. :idontknow: :crazyeyes:

Like you said...until then, you still have drill a ton of holes. Will the liner prevent anything, dont know. Will the silicon RTV prevent just as much as the liner, dont know.

I do know that I wont be taking off my EVO skins anytime soon. We ran RTV around the holes and along the flat surfaces before installing, then more to seal the top and side edges. Seems like the liner is personal choice for the installer.

Top Bottom