Dropping Front Drive Shaft

Firewrangler

Any pointers? Trying to eliminate where the creaking and popping is coming from under my Jeep. 8mm and 15mm sound right on the bolts. Tried it tonight, but the bolts don't want to let go. Even think I started to round one off with the 8mm so I stopped.

Army_Vet

Banned
Any pointers? Trying to eliminate where the creaking and popping is coming from under my Jeep. 8mm and 15mm sound right on the bolts. Tried it tonight, but the bolts don't want to let go. Even think I started to round one off with the 8mm so I stopped.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty. Heat, from a torch helps on the most stubborn ones. A propane/ butane torch works for this as well

904Jeep

Make sure you are using your HEX sockets to remove the bolts as these wont skip on the teeth like twelve points. PB Blaster or Liquid wrench helps to break the torque on the nuts, i found thread locker on all of my bolts. If you have access to a breaker bar that will make getting those bolts out so much easier. Just make sure you have your jeep in 4LOW, park, and with the E-Brake pulled up. This will keep you from driving the front wheels while you break the torque on the nuts.

Tigrcky

Lefty loosy, righty tighty. Heat, from a torch helps on the most stubborn ones. A propane/ butane torch works for this as well

to add what army vet and the others have said here use heat but here is a mechanics trick, heat it up then right away zap it with water with like a squirt bottle that will cause a sudden compression of the metal and break loose what rust there might be. best of luck :thumb:

mtnbiker995

5/16 is actually barely smaller than 8mm and I was able to fit it on my bolts, give that a try. And like mentioned, use a 6 sided socket especially on something so small

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CerOf

Ayup, 5/16ths is what did it for me. Once broken loose I have a gear (auto) 8mm wrench that I used. This lowed me to reach four of the eight bolts at one time. Rolling my rig back a foot allowed acess to the other four.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Firewrangler

Other than the noise it made, it was still functioning fine for the mud at the hunting camp. I'm sure it wouldn't have survived any rocks though.

Top Bottom