Over-Backspacing ... effects on bearings

EHogany

Research tells me that 3.75" of backspacing total is about the maximum before you start increasing bearing wear.

Does the vehicle we are talking about matter?
I'm looking at 17" x 8.5" wheels with 35" tires on a LJ Rubicon (hopefully with a 3.5 Rock Krawler Lift)

Correct me if I'm not understanding this ...
the backspacing is the combination of the backspacing built into the wheel minus any spidertrac-type wheel spaces?
so a 5" backspaced wheel plus a 1.5" spidertrac would = 3.50, right?

What's the opinion on having all backspacing built into the wheel
vs. having some in the wheel and some in the spidertrac (I assume you have to keep the spidertrac torqued every X miles)

How does 3.5 of backspacing effect your ride?
is a wider stance better onroad? offroad?
what about the effect on steering geometry?
and the main question ... what is the effect on the bearings with a smaller backspacing?
Has anyone actually seen additional bearing wear, or is it all Internet paranoia?

All advice appreciated

Hack12

Research tells me that 3.75" of backspacing total is about the maximum before you start increasing bearing wear.

Does the vehicle we are talking about matter?
I'm looking at 17" x 8.5" wheels with 35" tires on a LJ Rubicon (hopefully with a 3.5 Rock Krawler Lift)

Correct me if I'm not understanding this ...
the backspacing is the combination of the backspacing built into the wheel minus any spidertrac-type wheel spaces?
so a 5" backspaced wheel plus a 1.5" spidertrac would = 3.50, right?

What's the opinion on having all backspacing built into the wheel
vs. having some in the wheel and some in the spidertrac (I assume you have to keep the spidertrac torqued every X miles)

How does 3.5 of backspacing effect your ride?
is a wider stance better onroad? offroad?
what about the effect on steering geometry?
and the main question ... what is the effect on the bearings with a smaller backspacing?
Has anyone actually seen additional bearing wear, or is it all Internet paranoia?

All advice appreciated

I'll leave most of your questions to the experts who know far more than I, but in the meantime, here are some diagrams that will help you better understand backspacing and offset. The one thing I can tell you is that the wider stance you have (lower offset & backspacing) the more stress you will be putting on your bearings and axles. That's simple geometry. However, without knowing much about your particular model year Jeep I don't wanna speculate any further. I'll leave the cold hard facts to better men than me.

tech-wheeloffset.gif
wheel%20offset%20backspacing%20size%20diagram.jpg
wheel_offset_diagram.gif

Hack12

Also, just so you have a visual, here are a few shots of my rig. I run 15x10 wheels with 3.75 backspacing and a -43 offset. They stick out pretty far and give me a very wide stance. I love it and haven't run into any problems so far. However, geometry is geometry and the laws of mathematics don't lie. I'm quite sure that my bearings with probably need to be replaced sooner than someone who chooses to run wheels with a higher offset and backspacing. :twocents:

photo 4 (1) 1.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391815113.076982.jpg
photo 3 (11) 1.jpg

StrizzyChris

anything other than a 0 offset wheel will place an additional "stress" on your balljoints. That being said, many people run wheel spacers and low backspacing(i.e. 3.5") without complication. People also run these wheels and/or spacers and after a year...two....or three break down the balljoints requiring them to be replaced.

They do not effect steering geometry at all. They do give you a wider stance and you will therefore have more stability. IMHO the pro's outweigh the cons and I love the benefits of running spacers until I get my 3.5" BS wheels on :thumb: :yup:

sm31

I currently run 3.5" back spaced wheels. The wheels have been installed since 2005 (long before I owned the jeep) & I've had no issues so far. I also appreciate the increased stability and clearance. The only downside for me so far is dirty windows. I have no plans to change.

Attachments

• compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom