Cluster issues??? or something

RZNCAIN

Well its kinda hard to explain, but I have been through 2 clusters already. I have a 2014 JKU and I am having some issues. It has aftermarket wheels and tires. The TPMS sensors have been transferred.

Here is what is going on...

*The trip gauge no longer has a decimal point in it and it refuses to move. It is frozen at what ever the current mileage is.

*The odometer does the same

*TPMS light is on

*If you open the door and close it, the word door stays lit on the dash.

*All these things except the TPMS go away is you hit the button to switch between the ODO and Trip. Then the work fine and the word door disappears

*As if that all made sense, the 7-10 seconds after you start the Jeep before the TPMS light comes on, none of these problems happen. Its only after it pops on, that all these other issues occur.

Chrysler is now looking further into it, but I don't understand the correlation between the ODO, Trip and, door sensor and why they would have anything to do with the TPMS light.

Anyone have any experience or light to shed????? Please help!

Here she is...

1477551_10151735244286971_353809791_n.jpg

RZNCAIN

I wonder if the dealer can disable the tpms and see how it acts?

I really don't think they have the ability to do that. It would sure be amazing if that stopped the other issues. I would just get a tuner and disable the damn tpms then and be done with it. Don't need the damn things anyways.

JEEPnGEO

I ran into cluster issues RPM and SPPED needles maxing out lights on dash flashing, all the warning lights light up the dong sound coming on and my windshield wipers wiping. It ended up to be the PAC relay from my aftermarket stereo. They have a BUS controller thingy inside of them and mine went out. The PAS company told me to use a METRA interface and all my problems stopped. That was 8K miles ago.

Your rig seems brand new. I would try to pull the fuse on one the cluster system or TPMS system, cabin lights, other non critical fuses (one at a time) drive around and see if you can get the problem to stop. If you stumble on something. Reconnect and disconnect, reconnect and disconnect. The problem repeats then you have a short list to work from. I have seen a short in the reverse lights turn on windshield wipers, short in the electric seat engage O/D in the transmission

Good luck.

RZNCAIN

They are telling me that they think I need new TPMS sensors because all of a sudden they failed a test. Even if that is the case, I don't understand what that could have to do with the other issues???

just buy a pro cal or other programmer and turn that crap off you dont need it a 4$ pressure guage and 2 minutes of your time will tell you that there is air in the tires, probably end up costing less then 4 or 5 new pressure sensors i would guess!

RZNCAIN

just buy a pro cal or other programmer and turn that crap off you dont need it a 4$ pressure guage and 2 minutes of your time will tell you that there is air in the tires, probably end up costing less then 4 or 5 new pressure sensors i would guess!

I hear you, I am close to doing that, I just at this point can't be convinced that turning the TPMS sensors off will cause the other things to have no issues.

I could give a shit about the TPMS light on my dash, at least I know what that is about. To me that fact that the Trip, Odo, and the Door ajar lights act up once the TPMS goes on, I just don't see the correlation.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Especially since you're on your second cluster. Doubt it has anything to do with the TPMS system.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
My thoughts exactly, any idea where I should start checking grounds?

Being as new as your JK is, I would let the dealership take care of it. But if you want to do some searching on it yourself for your own peace of mind, I'd start with the grounds under the hood...around the power distribution box, battery, and PCM. Maybe also under the dash. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumb:

RZNCAIN

Being as new as your JK is, I would let the dealership take care of it. But if you want to do some searching on it yourself for your own peace of mind, I'd start with the grounds under the hood...around the power distribution box, battery, and PCM. Maybe also under the dash. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumb:

I popped the hood and took a quick look. All the grounds that I can see look to be pretty tight. What is the best way to insure that they are all grounded properly?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I popped the hood and took a quick look. All the grounds that I can see look to be pretty tight. What is the best way to insure that they are all grounded properly?

It may be a larger process than you can do at home. It's gonna be testing continuity, current levels, etc. Also a schematics sheet from Chrysler would be helpful to show the location of the grounds and what they're grounding. What you could do is make sure the easy ones to get to are tight and clean.

RZNCAIN

It may be a larger process than you can do at home. It's gonna be testing continuity, current levels, etc. Also a schematics sheet from Chrysler would be helpful to show the location of the grounds and what they're grounding. What you could do is make sure the easy ones to get to are tight and clean.

UPDATE!!!

I decided just for shits and giggles to run all the air pressures up to 40psi and then back down to 36psi not convinced that the TPMS light should have anything to do with the other cluster problems or even convinced that the TPMS sensors are even working.

I did the spare as well, just in case. The dealer told me the pressures were all good. When I tested the 3 of the 4 on the ground were at 34psi and one was at 32 and the spare was barely at 30. So I began to be hopeful that it might help. Took a little bit but I ran then up to 40 and then let are out until they were all at 36psi.

Got in, turned the key and they were still on. I thought.....FIGURES. About 2 minutes later, the light went off for the first time in a month. Now normally, the ODO would be frozen until you shut off the Jeep to which it would update the mileage the accumulated while I was driving. Also if I had opened the door, it would still say door where the ODO would normally by on even if the door is closed.

I decided to test my luck and opened the door once the light shut off and the door light popped on and I closed it and BOOM it went off. I decided to drive it to see if the ODO and trip worked properly and all of a sudden they do. SOOOOOO!!!! WTF! LOL

I don't understand it but I am hopeful that the issue is behind me as long as my tires stay inflated.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
UPDATE!!!

I decided just for shits and giggles to run all the air pressures up to 40psi and then back down to 36psi not convinced that the TPMS light should have anything to do with the other cluster problems or even convinced that the TPMS sensors are even working.

I did the spare as well, just in case. The dealer told me the pressures were all good. When I tested the 3 of the 4 on the ground were at 34psi and one was at 32 and the spare was barely at 30. So I began to be hopeful that it might help. Took a little bit but I ran then up to 40 and then let are out until they were all at 36psi.

Got in, turned the key and they were still on. I thought.....FIGURES. About 2 minutes later, the light went off for the first time in a month. Now normally, the ODO would be frozen until you shut off the Jeep to which it would update the mileage the accumulated while I was driving. Also if I had opened the door, it would still say door where the ODO would normally by on even if the door is closed.

I decided to test my luck and opened the door once the light shut off and the door light popped on and I closed it and BOOM it went off. I decided to drive it to see if the ODO and trip worked properly and all of a sudden they do. SOOOOOO!!!! WTF! LOL

I don't understand it but I am hopeful that the issue is behind me as long as my tires stay inflated.

I too hope it's resolved. I still don't understand what the ODO, door ajar light, and TPMS light have in common. My TPMS light has come on after a cold weather spell, but no other functions were affected. :idontknow:

RZNCAIN

I too hope it's resolved. I still don't understand what the ODO, door ajar light, and TPMS light have in common. My TPMS light has come on after a cold weather spell, but no other functions were affected. :idontknow:

Like you said, I have no idea of the correlation. But something must be in common.

Top Bottom