Flat top knuckles and high steer

JEEPnGEO

I was wondering if I can do a Flat top knuckle high steer setup.

Links.
Knuckles
http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-.../chevy-heavy-duty-flat-top-dana-44-knuckles-2

The flat top Arms
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-thick-CNC...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=251276516805&

I am sure Reidracing has the arms also. I posted the link so you could get an idea of what I am going after.

Knuckles will be stronger than stock
drag link will be flat Just about
Tie Rod is 3-5 inches higher.
Driving in a straight line.
highsteer.jpg
high-steer3-lg.jpg

The only problem I see is up travel.

Thoughts anyone?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Subscribed. Curious to see the replies. Sorry, I have nothing to offer to the topic but encouragement. 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're wanting to do this...

http://www.artecindustries.com/High-Steer_c_136.html

But, if you ask me, that's a lot of coin for something I haven't seen a need for. In the 7+ years that the JK has been out, I have yet to hear of a knuckle failure and, even with a high steer setup, you're still bound to hit your tie rod. Maybe I just don't play hard enough but, I personally wouldn't waste my money on it. If anything, I would just get a HD tie-rod like what currie makes and call it a day.

GCM 2

Well you certainly can! But is the investment really worth dropping all that coin on a stock axle :thinking:

Yes Reid knuckles are going to be stronger than stock, but as Wayoflife has stated, stock steering knuckles have never proven to be a problem. For the price of a set of Reid knuckles I'm just not certain that it would be worth it. $500-$600 for a set is a nice chunk of change.

Flat steering geometry is always a plus, and yes high steer kits can help move you in this direction. But are you currently having steering issues because you are running a sky high suspension lift?

If you are not running a hydraulic ram assist steering set up, just do a Currie HD tie-rod.........Bam! Problem solved. For rigs like mine or Wayoflifes' having a high steer kit is a huge benefit, but also kind of a necessity because of the hydraulic ram assist steering we are running.

Most bolt-on ram assist kits attaches the ram to the axle and tie-rod, leaving critical, easily damaged high pressure steering components a little lower than I personally like. Here's an example of why I would suggest doing something like a high steer set up, but only to help move the location of the steering ram (see next paragraph for example)

image-1167270592.jpg

This is a typical EVO high steer set up which has the ram welded on to the axle and attached to the steering knuckle, which by design has the tie-rod above the ram and then allows you to protect the steering ram with a bomb proof skid.

image-353354637.jpg

Bomb proof ram assist skid

image-3348060048.jpg

And again, are you currently having trouble with your set up now that does not allow straight driving?

Yes you can run into up travel problems if the entire system is not carefully thought out. I have never experienced up travel problems, but I am running a set of full width axles which pushes many of the component mounting points much further outside of the frame rails. Also, my ProRock 60 differential housing is also only about as big as a stock Dana 44 so it does not interfere with the track-bar or drop bracket during suspension compression.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well you certainly can! But is the investment really worth dropping all that coin on a stock axle :thinking:

Yes Reid knuckles are going to be stronger than stock, but as Wayoflife has stated, stock steering knuckles have never proven to be a problem. For the price of a set of Reid knuckles I'm just not certain that it would be worth it. $500-$600 for a set is a nice chunk of change.

Flat steering geometry is always a plus, and yes high steer kits can help move you in this direction. But are you currently having steering issues because you are running a sky high suspension lift?

If you are not running a hydraulic ram assist steering set up, just do a Currie HD tie-rod.........Bam! Problem solved. For rigs like mine or Wayoflifes' having a high steer kit is a huge benefit, but also kind of a necessity because of the hydraulic ram assist steering we are running.

Most bolt-on ram assist kits attaches the ram to the axle and tie-rod, leaving critical, easily damaged high pressure steering components a little lower than I personally like. Here's an example of why I would suggest doing something like a high steer set up, but only to help move the location of the steering ram (see next paragraph for example)

View attachment 70085

This is a typical EVO high steer set up which has the ram welded on to the axle and attached to the steering knuckle, which by design has the tie-rod above the ram and then allows you to protect the steering ram with a bomb proof skid.

View attachment 70088

View attachment 70089

And again, are you currently having trouble with your set up now that does not allow straight driving?

Yes you can run into up travel problems if the entire system is not carefully thought out. I have never experienced up travel problems, but I am running a set of full width axles which pushes many of the component mounting points much further outside of the frame rails. Also, my ProRock 60 differential housing is also only about as big a a stock Dana 44 so it does not interfere with the track-bar or drop bracket during suspension compression.

:cheesy: Do you always have to be so thorough or is it just a habit? :D

ttfhell

View attachment 70085

View attachment 70088

View attachment 70089

Yes you can run into up travel problems if the entire system is not carefully thought out. I have never experienced up travel problems, but I am running a set of full width axles which pushes many of the component mounting points much further outside of the frame rails. Also, my ProRock 60 differential housing is also only about as big as a stock Dana 44 so it does not interfere with the track-bar or drop bracket during suspension compression.

^^^Warrior Poet from days of yore. Think that skid plate is going to be the meanest thing on my jeep. Well next to the heated leather seats.

Brewman

Links.
Knuckles
http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-.../chevy-heavy-duty-flat-top-dana-44-knuckles-2

The flat top Arms
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-thick-CNC...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=251276516805&

I am sure Reidracing has the arms also. I posted the link so you could get an idea of what I am going after.

View attachment 70048
View attachment 70049

Thoughts anyone?

Besides all of the other info mentioned about this setup, these knuckles wont fit a JK axle.

JEEPnGEO

Thank you for that info fellers. Here is why I was thinking about going this route.

I do not want to run any tire larger than 35's.

I just found out that my 4inch list is a 5+ inch lift which I am fine with BUT I do not want to go any higher. I almost do not fit in the garage. and the parking garage at work. Anything taller and my fat ass will not be able to jump into it. I weigh in at 350. Yep I am a big boy..

I don't want to go hydraulic $$$$

I made room for extra departure angle. Soon I will do something about my approach angle.

So the clearance issues I am going to face are from the 35 so I will be beating up the diff cover and TR but the Diff cover I posted a short while back is the toughest one on the market. The entire cover is made out of a single piece of 1/2 thick steel. Not 1/4 inch. So taking a rock to the diff is handled. I am looking for a way to move the steering up out of the way.

I do have a tiny bit of bump steer and it wonders but with the lift and I am running all stock control arms, I know I need to do something to make my drag link etc a little flatter. I don't want to ruin a new set of tires.

I drive shaft guy said my rear pinion angle may be about 2 degrees of but it is pretty good. He told me to work on the front but if I wanted to do the back to get both upper and lower control arms at the same time to move the whole axle back about an inch.

The front was going to be the same deal to move it forward so both control arms but he knew I was wondering on the road.

For the most part it goes straight unless there is a dip or high spot on the road. San Antonio has horrible roads. It breaks dead straight and fast.

So save future tire wear, ground clearance as much as possible, better steering geometry, I don't think I will break a 44 the way I wheel but I do get a little crazy when I am out there.

Sooner or later I will get a bumper and winch maybe I can lower my front end by a inch or so.

I am looking into Currie (as Eddy suggested) control arms. Should I get front upper and lowers first or do the rear end? Right there is 600.00 (Northridge HELP!!!!!) 600.00 Just for the tie rod? What kind of steel do they use.

What else am I going to need?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do not want to run any tire larger than 35's.

I just found out that my 4inch list is a 5+ inch lift which I am fine with BUT I do not want to go any higher. I almost do not fit in the garage. and the parking garage at work. Anything taller and my fat ass will not be able to jump into it. I weigh in at 350. Yep I am a big boy..

Holy cow that's a sky high lift for just a set of 35's! You'd actually consider going taller if not for your parking garage or need to get in your Jeep?! At most, I'd only run 3" of lift. Hell, I'm running just 4" of lift to clear my 40's right now but, if you're just into that 1980's sky high look, to each their own.

I don't want to go hydraulic $$$$

There's no need for just a set of 35's.

So the clearance issues I am going to face are from the 35 so I will be beating up the diff cover and TR but the Diff cover I posted a short while back is the toughest one on the market. The entire cover is made out of a single piece of 1/2 thick steel. Not 1/4 inch. So taking a rock to the diff is handled.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, try placing your tires on the obstacles instead of ramming your diff into them. Aftermarket diff covers look cool and just for that but, I wouldn't even think twice about running a thin factory cover on any trail you can think of.

I am looking for a way to move the steering up out of the way.

Again, I can guarantee you that no matter how high you move your steering, you will STILL hit your tie-rod. This is why I recommend that you save your money and invest it in a HD tie-rod like what Currie makes as it will be able to take the beating.

I do have a tiny bit of bump steer and it wonders but with the lift and I am running all stock control arms, I know I need to do something to make my drag link etc a little flatter.

If you're really running 5"+ of lift and running stock control arms, your Jeep should be riding like crap. If you've never addressed your steering geometry, your handling should feel like crap too. Also, you cannot just make your drag link sit flatter - you NEED to make your track bar sit parallel to it as well. If you do not, you will have even worse handling than you have now.

I don't want to ruin a new set of tires.

You have a solid front axle and therefore - they do not cause the kind of bump steer that you'd see with IFS. You will not ruin your tires. If your toe is off or your shocks/coils suck, then yeah, you can ruin them that way.

I drive shaft guy said my rear pinion angle may be about 2 degrees of but it is pretty good.

If you're still running factory drive shafts, it won't make a difference how off the angle of it is as they use rzeppa joints and won't cause any vibrations. What you should be concerned with is how steep it's now sitting with the crazy amount of lift you have on your 2-door. This steepness will cause your joints to sit in a constant state of pinch and that will cause the boots to fail prematurely and that will lead to bearing failure.

He told me to work on the front...

Not sure why your shop would recommend you work on the front first. You have a 2009 with a manual, your front shaft will not have the same kind of contact issues that an auto of the same year would have or even a manual on a 2012-up would have. It's also a much longer shaft than your rear and while you do have a crazy amount of lift, the CV boots should outlast the ones on your rear shaft being that they will not be pinching as much.

...but if I wanted to do the back to get both upper and lower control arms at the same time to move the whole axle back about an inch

Let me guess, your shop is a Rock Krawler dealer, right? Honestly, with the crazy tall lift you have, what you really need is a long arm kit as it will help you to restore your suspension geometry and that's really what you need.

The front was going to be the same deal to move it forward so both control arms but he knew I was wondering on the road.

For the most part it goes straight unless there is a dip or high spot on the road. San Antonio has horrible roads. It breaks dead straight and fast.

You are wandering because your caster is most likely way off.

So save future tire wear, ground clearance as much as possible, better steering geometry, I don't think I will break a 44 the way I wheel but I do get a little crazy when I am out there.

You can install the tallest lift in the world but in the end, the lowest point on your Jeep will still be the bottom of your axle and diff. The only way to get them higher off the ground is by installing bigger tires. Ideally, a good setup would be to keep your Jeep as LOW as possible while running the biggest tire possible. This will give you greater ground clearance, provide much better approach, break over and departure angles AND do it all with a much lower center of gravity.

Sooner or later I will get a bumper and winch maybe I can lower my front end by a inch or so

At most, a super heavy bumper and winch will only cause your front end to sag about 3/4" - less if you have stiff coils.

I am looking into Currie (as Eddy suggested) control arms. Should I get front upper and lowers first or do the rear end? Right there is 600.00 (Northridge HELP!!!!!) 600.00 Just for the tie rod? What kind of steel do they use.

To be clear, what I recommended was their HD tie-rod being that you were looking into a high steer kit, not their control arms. Yes, it is pricey but if you get it, you won't need to get a high steer kit that costs just as much just for the orange knuckles and more for the arms as well.

TheDuff

After reading this and looking at your profile, all I can suggest is to start over with the lift, seriously, just start over. Save your self time and money by reinvesting now into a smaller lift that doesn't require so many components to maintain proper geometry. A lot of the guys here that have highly capable rigs have told me one of the biggest costs to jeeping is having to repurchase items after they discovered they made the wrong choice the first time.
You can still turn back and sell off that TF lift and come out not loosing much or if you play it smart not lose any money.
The super long shock theory isn't something I would personally buy into, and really would be surprised if it safely netted any more usable flex than a properly configured suspension.
Eddie is completely correct on stating his opinion that 3 inches of lift is really the maximum anyone would need for 35's. Heck you can pretty much wheel 35's at stock height with flat fenders and proper trimming. I plan to run 37s on a 3inch lift, its completely doable and imo just as capable as 4+ inches of lift.
If you want a stretch, do a real comp cut stretch, those rock crawler arms are not a good solution. The axle gets pushed way too far back causing components to no longer line up, interference with the track bar, and bleeding your wallet even more to buy extra items to try and correct these issues.
I've got a 2.5" lift and 35's, I'm sure I net over 3 inches and I'm planning to start over. There isn't many obstacles that i can honestly say that having anymore lift would have helped me. In several instances I've walked right up obstacles with less lift and smaller tires than other guys.
In the end its your money, but I hope with the wealth of knowledge and perspective being offered to you, you can save some of it going forward.:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JEEPnGEO

I love this forum!!

TheDuff/Eddy

You are 100% correct. I would like to start over. I tossed all my old parts etc... All I have is what's on the Jeep.

I would live to start over with a 3 inch lift and long arm setup. If the price of tires go down I may do 37's but 35's are big enough for me and expensive. enough.

I will PM you guys and then you will know where I am coming from with this.

The mile high situation was all my fault. When I bought the jeep it had a TF budget boost installed.

Since I saw the left so low and the new spring basically the same height I figured I would only gain about 1.5 inches in height due to the new springs stiffness. I was WRONG.

20131006_153118.jpg

Once I got it on the ground I quickly found a used TF track bar I bought and I also bought HKS Sway bar end links. My shocks were topping out so I bought the longer TF shocks and they guy asked me to measure what the diagram says to measure I told him and he asked me to double check. He never explained to me that I was Grabbing massive air. He sold me the shocks I have now just because the next size down I would of been hitting the top. of the valving or something like that. He told me this shock would give me 6 inches each way but I may want to limit stretching it out.??????????

The only mods I have done to the front are

4 inch TF springs
TF adjustable Track bar
HKS non adjustable sway bar ends
4 new ball joints
New driveshaft front and rear
shaft.jpg Front

Everything is still stock with the exception of the front stabilizer. That was there when I bought it. I am not rolling CV joints.

The Driveshaft company here in town said my rear angle was close but a few degrees off. He was the one who recommended I work on the front and get that squared away because the angle was out of spec.

I don't wheel hard so I thing the 44 will do I read about people bending this catching this on a rock etc.. so this is the reason for high steer.

I love the comment about

"Please don't take this the wrong way but, try placing your tires on the obstacles instead of ramming your diff into them." I laughed my ass off at that.. LOVE IT... You rock.

Thanks for the eye opening I will look to see what I can do.

TheDuff

Being that you already have a TF lift, you may agree when I say that it is one stiff ass ride! I've rode in a few different jeeps now and have personally decided to go the path of evo plush ride coils. The best part of these coils is you can buy just the coils, as the enforcer kit, or as the double D long arm kit. Regardless of the way you go, there is an upgrade path, and even long into the future it is left easy to add bolt on coilovers if you so choose. That's what I suggest you look into:beer:

dahreno

Banned
I agree with Eddie on this. If you do decide on high steer. go double sheer. Artec isn't cheap but, if not the best, close to it. I've never heard a complaint about their stuff.

Last edited:

JEEPnGEO

I agree with Eddie on this. If you do decide on high steer. go double sheer. Artec isn't cheap but, if not the best, close to it. I've never hears a complaint about their stuff.

Wow. Nice looking setup. Do you have a wide shot of the entire front end.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Eddie on this. If you do decide on high steer. go double sheer.

Not sure what you're agreeing with me here. If anything, I said that the Artec is a lot of coin for something I haven't seen a need for. In other words, I think it's a waste of money.

Artec isn't cheap but, if not the best, close to it. I've never heard a complaint about their stuff.

I've never hear anyone complain about factory knuckles either and, with the super expensive Artec, I can guarantee you that you're still gonna hit your tie rod.

dahreno

Banned
Wow, I thought I read you saying if he goes with high steer to go with double sheer! Obviously I was wrong. I don't even do drugs! Maybe I should reconsider? Sorry about that.

JEEPnGEO

I forgot that I installed the front levelers when I bought the springs. I think they are either an inch or an inch and a half. This weekend they are coming out. I also made the ass end sag a bit because I bought the bumper/tire carrier from 13gecko so the rear went down about a half inch.

So rear down 1/2" and front down 1.5"

When I was driving back from 13gecko's place since my rear end was lower I was wondering all over the road. I was behind a DPS Trooper sweating it out until he turned off the highway. So I can't wait till I toss the front levelers.

I still want the control arms.

TheDuff

You can still get a long arm kit. One like evo sells would be you best bet imo. you could retain it if you choose to go with a lower lift, such as the 3inch plush rides, later down the road.

Top Bottom