Gear RationQuestion, again...

Armydog

Sorry everyone, I know a couple of you answered this already, but I cannot find it on here.... I suck at searching and the wol app on iPad limits the functionality I think....

Someone gave me a link for calculating a lot a net gearing questions. I lifted the rear wheel and counted tire rotations vs yoke rotations.... Can you resend the link and information of at least tell me where I left it? Getting senile.

1 tire rotation = 2 drive shaft rotations on 2005 TJ rubicon. Tango in advance....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

GCM 2

The gear ratio in an axle determines how many times the drive shaft needs to spin in order to turn the wheels one rotation. For example, a 5.13 gear ratio requires the drive shaft to spin 5.13 times to turn the tires around one full rotation.

It's literally as easy as clicking this link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=tire...n2AX1-oDQAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=644#

Examples for JK's below

3.6L Pentastar engine:

image-3898160411.jpg

3.8L badass minivan motors:

image-4264289521.jpg

Last edited:

1BAMFR

"The gear ratio in an axle determines how many times the drive shaft needs to spin in order to turn the wheels one rotation. For example, a 5.13 gear ratio requires the drive shaft to spin 5.13 times to turn the tires around one full rotation."

Learn something new everyday!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So here is another trivia morsel for you to digest. If you have no idea what gear ratio set you are running use this method to determine what you have:

The gear ratio of any axle can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear. For example, an axle with 41 ring gear teeth and 11 pinion gear teeth would have a 3.73 gear ratio (41/11 =3.73).

mind=blown :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

.....Learn something new everyday!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

So here is another trivia morsel for you to digest. If you have no idea what gear ratio set you are running use this method to determine what you have:

The gear ratio of any axle can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear. For example, an axle with 41 ring gear teeth and 11 pinion gear teeth would have a 3.73 gear ratio (41/11 =3.73).

mind=blown :crazyeyes:

It's what I do...... ;)

Last edited:

1BAMFR

You are on fire!

This makes me want to unbolt my Riddler cover and start counting on my fingers.....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

It's what I do...... ;)

Can you elaborate a little more please. Thanks for your help.

GCM 2

Can you elaborate a little more please. Thanks for your help.

Why yes.......

Here is the complete equation for stock axles. Obviously this is for 4.88 gears

image-1860892662.jpg

.......and here is the work up for aftermarket axles, which plainly shows the result for 5.38 gears

image-1389050274.jpg

Top Bottom